LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Akebono Pro Act or Centric Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 07:22 AM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Akebono Pro Act or Centric Brake Pads?

Its time to change my brake pads again and I wanted to see if everyone still recommends the Akebono Pro Act pads? That is what I used the last time and I was very pleased with them but I see now that people are going over to Centric pads. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am also going to change my rotors as they are badly warped and shake the car with light braking pressure and go with the Centric rotors as that seems to be the general consensus on this forum.
Old 07-07-17, 08:53 AM
ohionick
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brakes

Is your car awd or rwd? I did not really need brakes badly on my '10 awd 460 but after all the great reviews on the centric posi-quiet and centric premium rotors i decided to take the plunge best $325 i have spent in a long time took the slight shudder out of braking and stopping is linear now way better than the oem pads and rotors. Just follow roadfrogs parts number if you are rwd if you are awd lmk I will post part numbers. The awd parts are a bit more expensive than the rwd I think as they are different part numbers.
Old 07-07-17, 12:03 PM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is rear wheel drive. How is the brake dust with the Centric posi quiet pads?
Old 07-07-17, 12:52 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by cregeis
My car is rear wheel drive. How is the brake dust with the Centric posi quiet pads?
Initially, I noticed tan colored brake dust (since the ceramic brake pads are that color), but after a few months I've noticed it's black brake dust. Seems to be the same amount of brake dust to me.

The Centrics do brake more smoothly. However, I noticed as I get closer to being completely stopped I can feel a little rubbing in the pedal as if the brake pads are catching on a rough spot on the rotor. For instance, if slowing down from 30mph, I'll feel a pulse at 8mph, then 5mph, then 3mph and complete stop. I can distinctly feel something pulse or catch 3x towards the end of a stop. Nothing disconcerting. Everything is quiet and smooth up till the last few feet. Not sure what is causing it, but it isn't bothersome...just noticeable.

Edit: Nevermind. There must have been some residue or something stuck causing the pulsing. After a car wash today my wheels are clean and braking is completely smooth all the way till a complete stop. Pads do squeak when wet after car wash but only lasts a few seconds.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 07-09-17 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-07-17, 02:51 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I cannot comment on the Akebono setup, but I can wholeheartedly endorse the Centric. I installed them about 4 months ago (maybe 6?) and wow.....soooo smooth, quiet and linear. No more grabbiness or pulsation. I replaced the pads (Posi-Quiet) and the rotors, (Centric PREMIUM). No residue to speak of, since they are ceramic. Semi-metallic is what will give you dusting. Many others here have done this same setup and are very pleased.
Old 07-08-17, 07:12 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

I went with the Akebono pads and the Centric Premium Rotors and have been happy with this combo. Very little brake dust, very smooth stopping. I only have one complaint with the Akebono pads and that is the first thing in the morning they squeal like a stuck hog. Now once you start rolling you are good to go but on that initial backup out of the garage they can squeal like no tomorrow especially if the car has been parked outside overnight. So would I go with this combo again, I would say no only because of the Squealing. It is a little embarrassing when you leave a friends house that you have spent the night at and your high end car's brakes squeal louder than the 40 year old pickup out on the farm.

Dennis
Old 07-09-17, 02:44 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
I went with the Akebono pads and the Centric Premium Rotors and have been happy with this combo. Very little brake dust, very smooth stopping. I only have one complaint with the Akebono pads and that is the first thing in the morning they squeal like a stuck hog. Now once you start rolling you are good to go but on that initial backup out of the garage they can squeal like no tomorrow especially if the car has been parked outside overnight. So would I go with this combo again, I would say no only because of the Squealing. It is a little embarrassing when you leave a friends house that you have spent the night at and your high end car's brakes squeal louder than the 40 year old pickup out on the farm.

Dennis
How long ago did you replace them Dennis? If it was very recent, you may find that he noise disappears after a few thousand miles, once they bed in. Also, if you didn't replace the hardware, (springs, clips, and caliper pins) you may want to give that a try. Cheap, quick and easy to do. Another thing, use brake grease on the caliper pins, and anywhere else there's contact between parts, like the slides on the caliper where the pads sit.
Old 07-10-17, 04:56 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Chris

I changed them on 7/28/16 with 57,911 miles on the LS. I now have a little over 65K on the LS. I changed out all the hardware when I did the brake job almost a year ago. I do believe that plenty of grease was used on the pads and pins etc.

Dennis

Last edited by DJWLDW; 07-10-17 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-10-17, 05:39 AM
veronchu
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I cannot comment on the Akebono setup, but I can wholeheartedly endorse the Centric. I installed them about 4 months ago (maybe 6?) and wow.....soooo smooth, quiet and linear. No more grabbiness or pulsation. I replaced the pads (Posi-Quiet) and the rotors, (Centric PREMIUM). No residue to speak of, since they are ceramic. Semi-metallic is what will give you dusting. Many others here have done this same setup and are very pleased.
Hi road frog, do you have the links to these pads and rotors?Thanks
Old 07-10-17, 07:51 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Veronchu

Here is the thread where we have all listed what we used and where we got it and what we paid.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...or-thread.html

Dennis
Old 07-10-17, 09:19 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Just did the full Centric swap over the weekend, LOVING IT!!!!!