LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Front brake groan ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 11:05 AM
jfattibe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front brake groan ???

Has anyone experienced a rubbing/groaning sound from the front brakes just as you're coming to a complete stop ? I put Centric premium rotors and pads on last week thinking it would alleviate the problem but they're still making the same noise ? I had the actuator replaced last year and thought maybe it's that. Brought it to Lexus and went for a ride with my tech. He thinks it's because I didn't use genuine Lexus brake parts. He doesn't think it's the actuator. Has anyone had this happen to them ?
Old 06-14-17, 11:21 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

you are saying you had the same problem even before putting newer brakes? does it make any sound when you are not trying to stop?
Originally Posted by jfattibe
Has anyone experienced a rubbing/groaning sound from the front brakes just as you're coming to a complete stop ? I put Centric premium rotors and pads on last week thinking it would alleviate the problem but they're still making the same noise ? I had the actuator replaced last year and thought maybe it's that. Brought it to Lexus and went for a ride with my tech. He thinks it's because I didn't use genuine Lexus brake parts. He doesn't think it's the actuator. Has anyone had this happen to them ?
Old 06-14-17, 11:36 AM
jfattibe
Driver

I had same sound after I did my last brake job using NAPA rotors and Bendix pads. When the rotors warped I replaced with all Centric premium and same sound ??? The tech said the pads might be to "aggressive" and to try Lexus pads. No, I don't hear anything at speed, it's just when I'm coming to a complete stop.
Old 06-14-17, 12:02 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i wonder if you re-used the oem pads shim? and pins that go around the brake pads? seems like the brakes pads are positioned correctly? had a similar issue with my LX570, the front pads were sort of making a grinding sound/ w; ..one of the piston of the caliper was stuck/seized and it only made noise when braking or slow driving. i changed the pads again and but some geese around the caliper and it was back to 100%; for some weird reason it didn't like the aftermarket pads that i had on them. (the reason i figured out was the after market pads were not as prefect fit in the area the pads sit and they weren't moving well when i was braking) ; not saying you have the same problem but might be a possibility. I know alot of people are running after market pads here with no issues too, when i changed mine i just did all OEM.

Originally Posted by jfattibe
I had same sound after I did my last brake job using NAPA rotors and Bendix pads. When the rotors warped I replaced with all Centric premium and same sound ??? The tech said the pads might be to "aggressive" and to try Lexus pads. No, I don't hear anything at speed, it's just when I'm coming to a complete stop.
Old 06-14-17, 01:26 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Wheel bearing?
Old 06-14-17, 04:55 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

does it make the noise when slowly pressing and sowly depressing the brakes from a stop light?
Old 06-14-17, 05:23 PM
jfattibe
Driver

I've used all shims and there is no noise when pressing or depressing the pedal, that's why the tech said it wasn't the actuator. ??
Old 06-20-17, 09:03 PM
rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

During an independent pre-purchase inspection last Friday, the inspector was breaking lightly in a parking lot and noted a groan out of the brakes initially. He thought that it sounded like the ABS was activating initially for what was braking at a very slow speed. Could ABS activation be the sound you are hearing? With only 18K miles on this 2012, I would assume that the brake components are all original.

I was also surprised that it feels like the car has warped rotors at such low mileage. One of the first things I need Lexus to look at when I take it to the dealer.
Old 06-21-17, 05:47 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Check the wheels are turning freely and that you don't have a stuck caliper. Also make sure the pads aren't glazed - this can cause slow speed "stiction". Rotors can warp at almost any mileage, depending on what's done to them (eg cold water car wash after using them heavily and heating them up good).
Old 06-21-17, 07:19 AM
jfattibe
Driver

The tech feels it's the pads but like I said if you're stopping and put the pedal down and keep it at a set position and not pushing it down anymore and the car comes to a complete stop there's no noise. If you slowly press the pedal down when braking then there's the groaning that's why I feel it's not the pads but something in the system.
Old 06-21-17, 07:47 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It's the pads not the system. The groan is caused by the pads vibrating against the surface of the rotor during that specific braking. Pretty normal and may be more pronounced on vehchles with large front calipers.
Old 06-21-17, 07:57 AM
jfattibe
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
It's the pads not the system. The groan is caused by the pads vibrating against the surface of the rotor during that specific braking. Pretty normal and may be more pronounced on vehchles with large front calipers.
thanks Lexuslsguy. When I get a chance I'm gonna get a set of Lexus pads and try that. He did say the Centrics pads may be to " agressive " ?? I thought they would be ok being ceramic ?
Old 06-21-17, 08:04 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If anything, the posi quiet pads are less aggressive then OEM. Did you bed the pads in correctly?
Old 06-21-17, 01:04 PM
jfattibe
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
If anything, the posi quiet pads are less aggressive then OEM. Did you bed the pads in correctly?
I know, I don't get it. I did bed them in, which made a big difference. I had Bendix pads before these and the same thing ???
Old 07-07-17, 07:18 PM
Robb92914
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me know what happens when you try the oem pads if you can. I am having the same issue and just switched to the centric premiums as well.

Quick Reply: Front brake groan ???