LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

12 V battery starting to die ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 08:23 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 12 V battery starting to die ??

Hi, tried to install the newly received Grom Vline, after sending the first one in return, could not get it powered up... They shipped me the same unit back to me, but with new cables and a tip on update to a newer version... they could not find any fault with it.... so I started a new tear-down of the screen and DVD player, connected the Grom again back into the screen...and once again...no power to get the Grom to work and no chance to update it... the memory stick with the update did also not start.... then I noticed that the bars on the hybrid battery was disappearing much faster than usual, and was fast down to 2 bars...just a few minutes after we started. ...installed back to standard..... and pushed in a DVD movie... that would not play, nor any of the DVD's that I had burnt with mp3 music which all played earlier...only radio and CD's played...
Put the battery on charging through the night and drove to the Lexus dealer for checking up the 12 V battery today... told me that they reckon that it hold a charge of 60-70 %...
The 12 volt Panasonic battery was in the car when I bought it secondhand in Switzerland in December 2011, and it is marked with the production date:

Is it the battery that has to be the culprit??? ..it is 6 years old, and can't complain on the age...held up good anyway for so long..... should I, if so, buy a new Lexus battery here for $ 1000...or cost me the same if I drove 1000 miles from home through Denmark + 1 ferry from Norway to Denmark and then to Germany and back...Ferry, gas, one night hotel and food and the same on the return to get the Panasonic battery ...it is not for sale in Norway.....It will be roughly the same price anyway as the original Lexus battery bought here...and less stress :-)
Have any of You had the same experience with the 12 volt battery ??? ...or could there be something else wrong that I have not got ??

Here is the instructions I got from Grom on where to measure the voltage:
Dear Arvid,
I cannot assist you in getting original DVD to play sound
I can only assist you in trying to get VLINE to power on.
Please try plugging just the MFCTOY cable with no VLINE attached. Check YELLOW wire for 12volt at all times with Ignition OFF. Check RED wire for 12volt with the Radio ON.
If either of these wires do not have 12VOLT then the GROM module is not getting power to turn on and you will need to give it power from elsewhere instead since the stereo is not outputting it anymore.

BTW.. 3 weeks ago I was at Lexus Forum in Kiel, Germany for my yearly service and also got a free Hybrid Check for an extra year full guaranty on the Hybrid battery package....came through with no faults found.......

Regards
Arvid

Last edited by Arvid; 06-14-17 at 09:12 AM. Reason: clarified a little better...I hope :-) and an update
Old 06-14-17, 08:52 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

If the battery is that old, I'd certainly start there. You should be able to find a battery where you are. It's not a rare battery, at least here in North America. Even Walmart, Costco, etc carry them.
Old 06-14-17, 09:13 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I had the original starting battery in my previous 2008 LS600hl die on me in 2015. The symptoms was unable to start the car and bunch of dash lights coming up. Price of this battery in the US is about $500. The only difference from regular batteries is the integrated temp sensor. If you search you will see posts looking at removing this sensor from the old battery and mounting it on the new generic battery to prevent getting a dash light for the sensor. I ultimately changed the battery with another OEM and all was good. I personally did not want to go cheap with this car.
Old 06-14-17, 09:21 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Oops..in my post above, I assumed the starting battery was the same as the 460.
Old 06-14-17, 10:32 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Looks like it may be an AGM battery - integral battery-thermocouples are usually a part of AGM charging systems to insure that the battery doesn't overheat while it is being charged. And, the picture looks like it is trunk mounted which would require an AGM battery. Flooded cell batteries are not suitable for mounting in the trunk.
Old 06-14-17, 04:48 PM
Arvid
Pole Position

Spooky... tried again tonight , inserted the same DVD's in player, they now played on the front screen, but no sound from the speakers, CD's plays good through the speakers though...my son sat in the back seat and put on the infrared headset...and got sound through them, both from DVD's and CD's... Ideas please on what to look for ....?? Had also the old battery in the car (Panasonic S75D31L) tested by the local Lexus dealer's, told me that the battery was good, at least 70-80 % juice ...
Still going low (down to 2 bars) on hybrid battery quite fast when driving, but also coming up again to1 bar below full also quite fast....
Arvid

Last edited by Arvid; 06-14-17 at 04:53 PM. Reason: details on battery incerted
Old 06-14-17, 05:57 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I suspect the Grom unit is faulty (regardless of what they told you). Who is "they" that are telling you it is good? Is it the manufacturer or a 3rd party reseller?
Old 06-14-17, 08:58 PM
Arvid
Pole Position

Default It's direct from Grom support..

.. all this started when I installed the Grom VLine the first time.. started to brake down and had to reconnect to start again, then it stopped working alltogether and was completely dead...could not measure any voltage, shipped it back, got the same box in return..there where no faults found with it, got new wiring though ..have tried many times to get the new box to fire up..but can't find any power on it when connected..Now it is removed from the car, but have got all these other "Trolls" to deal with 😣
Arvid