LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Text to Speech with Android Phones?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-17, 10:45 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Text to Speech with Android Phones?

I previously had a Windows phone that when paired with the Lexus bluetooth function allowed text and email messages to be spoken over the car speakers.

I'm unable to achieve the same functionality with my android phones now.

Is it possible to do?
Old 05-07-17, 05:19 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
I previously had a Windows phone that when paired with the Lexus bluetooth function allowed text and email messages to be spoken over the car speakers.

I'm unable to achieve the same functionality with my android phones now.

Is it possible to do?
WWWWWHHHAAAATTTT ? With a Windows Phone connected to a 2007 LS460 you could hear and reply via voice to texts ? I have a Android phone and I don't get a notification on my 2007 LS460L with my Android device as I gave up on Windows Phone (lack of apps) but, still have my Verizon Nokia ICON... If I could get Cortana to work over the LS460 audio system, I might switch back....

Should we get text replies on a 2007 ? Is this a supported feature on the 2007 with the ML system ?

Last edited by DavidinCT; 05-07-17 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 12:25 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Yes, absolutely. I could have it read texts and emails as well as dictate outgoing texts and emails - using the bluetooth connection of my 2007 460 with a Windows phone.

It would also read voicemail messages.

Hard to believe only Windows phones had that capability.

Anyone else know about this?
Old 05-08-17, 12:42 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Yes, absolutely. I could have it read texts and emails as well as dictate outgoing texts and emails - using the bluetooth connection of my 2007 460 with a Windows phone.

Does the car offically support that feature ? I have Windows Phone, Android and I have a iPhone that I can swap at any time...

Interesting.... I wish I knew how this worked... I dont see texts on my LG G4 that I have over blue-tooth...

I know I am not helping much but, how do you dictate a text manually with a WP phone ? (how do you start the text, what button on the car do you push to start it)

I didn't even know the 2007 supported this feature... anyone else know how it works ?
Old 05-08-17, 01:08 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I can do it using the "OK Google" voice commands, but I don't believe bluetooth audio was added until 2010. I thought BT connectivity for 07-09 was strictly for voice calls?
Old 05-08-17, 01:26 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
I thought BT connectivity for 07-09 was strictly for voice calls?
This is correct. Before 2010, only BT calling was supported.
___

When I activate Siri or dictation in my iPhone, my '07 switches to phone call mode so that the car's mic is used to receive my voice input.
The car display even shows the hangup button during this time as the car is interpreting it as a phone call.

Because I use a VAIS for Bluetooth audio playback, the music pauses, the phone completes the Siri interaction, then the music resumes. Nice and clean.

When I had an '07 GS with GROM bluetooth it worked the same way.
Old 05-08-17, 05:21 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by dfkd
This is correct. Before 2010, only BT calling was supported.
Right, that is what I thought but, the OP said with a Windows Phone he could do it. I am wondering how he was able to activate Cortana or to start a text...

I might just move back to Windows Phone if there is a way to do texts voice on my 2007 LS460L....
Old 05-08-17, 07:39 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, it's true on my Nokia phone from 2 years ago. It read back text messages . Not sure about outgoing texts though.
I don't remember how to activate the voice texts BUT I am 100% sure my previous Windows phone had that capability
Old 05-09-17, 03:50 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by RayLS
Yes, it's true on my Nokia phone from 2 years ago. It read back text messages . Not sure about outgoing texts though.
I don't remember how to activate the voice texts BUT I am 100% sure my previous Windows phone had that capability
Just wondering how it worked.... If you got a text did Cortana come over the speakers to read it ? How did you reply ?

The other question comes down to how to hack Android or iOS to be able to work this way (if you install Cortana on Andoid will it work the same way). I would love to have texts read to me and be able to reply while driving. Even if I needed to get a 2010 ML head unit and swap the guts of it to my 2007 (as they are available on ebay).

Last edited by DavidinCT; 05-09-17 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-09-17, 08:55 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Just wondering how it worked.... If you got a text did Cortana come over the speakers to read it ? How did you reply ?

The other question comes down to how to hack Android or iOS to be able to work this way (if you install Cortana on Andoid will it work the same way). I would love to have texts read to me and be able to reply while driving. Even if I needed to get a 2010 ML head unit and swap the guts of it to my 2007 (as they are available on ebay).
@ David,
I honestly do not remember if it read the text messages automatically or if I had to give a voice command.
I believe it was a "yes" or "no" voice command when prompted of new messages.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (05-10-17)
Old 05-09-17, 09:20 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

@ David,
I found my old Windows phone. Hope it works for you. It worked for me.
You go to settings - then go to Driving Mode to set up.

DavidinCT (05-10-17)
Old 05-10-17, 11:39 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

^ Ahhh, driving assist. Motorola Android devices (like my 2015 Moto X Pure) have this feature (MotoAssist) and will likely work with systems which have BT calling only. You might be able to try a similar app from the app store to use with other Android devices.
Old 05-12-17, 09:56 AM
RandyV
Advanced

While driving and a text message comes in - it would cut out the radio and state over the speakers: new message from Person's Name. Do you want to hear it or ignore it? If you said ignore - it would go back to your radio station. If you responded hear it - it would play the text message. Once the text message was played it would then ask if you want to replay, reply or are you done. If you said reply, then it would prompt you to start talking. Once you stopped it would ask are you done, do you want to send or start over.

Only on text messages, not emails.
DavidinCT (05-12-17)
Old 05-12-17, 10:14 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

While driving and a text message comes in - it would cut out the radio and state over the speakers: new message from Person's Name. Do you want to hear it or ignore it? If you said ignore - it would go back to your radio station. If you responded hear it - it would play the text message. Once the text message was played it would then ask if you want to replay, reply or are you done. If you said reply, then it would prompt you to start talking. Once you stopped it would ask are you done, do you want to send or start over.

Only on text messages, not emails.
Cool....Temping to go back just to use this.... too bad I need a few Apps that I use on Android..... Any one find an app that can do this on Android or iOS ?

I have a smartwatch, so I get texts, emails and everything else on that and I can even reply to texts via voice on my watch but, I really want to hear them over the speakers.
Old 05-12-17, 10:36 AM
RandyV
Advanced

An example:

Quick Reply: Text to Speech with Android Phones?