LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Text to Speech with Android Phones?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 10:38 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

This might be the app for Android?

http://www.readmytextmessages.com/
Old 05-17-17, 10:17 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Our 2013 LS gives the option to read or listen to incoming text from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. After listening to the text message through the car's speaker, the text of the message will then also appear on the display. I did not have to set anything up nor use any third-party apps. However, I do not see the option to respond by voice and have been meaning to dig through the owner's manual to see if that can be accomplished.
Old 05-20-17, 07:02 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Did you try it ? I am wondering...
Old 05-23-17, 06:14 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Our 2013 LS gives the option to read or listen to incoming text from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. After listening to the text message through the car's speaker, the text of the message will then also appear on the display. I did not have to set anything up nor use any third-party apps. However, I do not see the option to respond by voice and have been meaning to dig through the owner's manual to see if that can be accomplished.
Thanks for the post but, this was about a 2007 LS460L... the 2007-09 didn't have that text via voice feature. Some apps offered it making blue-tooth think it was a phone call. This is what we are trying to find.

I tried this. It does what it says but, no way to reply via voice. Also the HUGE annoyance of it is it reads every notnifications., So when your charging your battery (as I plug my phone in when I am in the car) it updates the % of charge, so every 2 min, I get "battery is charged xx% now" or something of that sort....So annoying, while I was driving I disabled it...and I normally dont touch my phone while driving.

So, it's not doing JUST texts, it's doing all notifications. Might be usefull for some things but, what I am looking for, No.

There is a bunch of voice texting apps in the Play store, I might have to try one by one....sigh... kind of miss Windows Phone now...because Cortana just worked.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 05-23-17 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-27-17, 10:36 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Tried a few more, nothing. Is there a way to get the built in google app (ok google) to go out via Bluetooth and work like we want ? It might not notify about a new text but, saying OK google and then saying "read the last text message" would be a simple option here.
Old 05-27-17, 12:05 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Sounds like a good workaround - let us know if you figure it out!
Old 05-28-17, 08:24 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Sounds like a good workaround - let us know if you figure it out!
Have you found anyone that worked ? Or even close ?
Old 05-29-17, 11:28 AM
RandyV
Advanced

In the default Android Messenger is an option to Read Text Messages. It immediately reads incoming texts, but I haven't tried it thru Bluetooth yet.
Old 06-01-17, 05:36 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

In the default Android Messenger is an option to Read Text Messages. It immediately reads incoming texts, but I haven't tried it thru Bluetooth yet.
Oh, yea but, that reads every text message and notifcation for that point. Tried that one. Trying other apps that claim you can reply via voice over bluetooth, If i run into anything that works JUST FOR TEXTS. I'll post here.

3 apps so far with no luck....sigh...
Old 06-01-17, 04:48 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

FOUND ONE !!!!!! I have been trying one by one (I am on about app 7 now, I just went through my list....every day trying a new one)...

I was not buying them so I had to "find" one or 2 to see as some were buy only. (sorry mods, as some where buy only and with out knowing if it would solve my quest, it was the only way I could be sure, as soon as tested I removed the apps).

So, today with "Text Voice SMS Reader" ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...speakdrivetext ) I got a text, The Bluetooth connected the car, just like Cortana, " A text came in from so-so, do you want to read it ?" So I said yes, it read the text, then it asked "Do you want to reply or ignore" I said reply and said a message, it read it back to me to confirm, the text went through ! It's only one (slow day I guess) but, need more testing to know for sure but so far so good.

I didn't hear any other notifications, JUST THE TEXTS. The app seems to pop up a lot, I need to play with it to see if I could get it to run in the background only.

The quest MIGHT be over !!!

Edit: didn't know there was a trial(24 hours)..., if my tests work out well tomorrow, I will be buying it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...speaktexttrial

Last edited by DavidinCT; 06-01-17 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 11:39 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Good to hear. Let us know if you went forward with it.
Old 06-08-17, 07:36 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Good to hear. Let us know if you went forward with it.
I've been using it for over a week now. For texting while driving, it works perfect. A new TEXT comes in, the Lexus Navi changes to the phone call screen, Says " A new text came in do you want to read it ?" and you reply, after it's read, you can review before you send, and after you send, you get an option to reply. It works very well for this, there is a "car mode" in the settings. It uses the Google Voice system, so it's fairly accurate at least for me.

IF there is any issue, it does not stay in the background, it pops up when in use or when you connect to bluetooth. I normally use Waze every day, it helps me avoid police traps (Its almost better than a radar detector), this app will pop up in front of Waze, then the screen shuts off as Waze is not running in front.

I did go with it, as it just works, I am going to email the Dev to see if there is a way for it to work, and keep it in the background so it does not take focus on the phone causing the above issue.

Try the demo in the store, you;ll see what I mean...it works good.
Old 06-08-17, 10:39 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Tried the demo but it wouldn't read incoming texts for me. Do I need to change a setting in Messenger or in this app?

I tried turning Driving Mode (that send a auto reply 'Driving Now...' and doesn't alert for texts incoming) off in Messenger but no help.

After the free Demo how much is the App?
Old 06-09-17, 10:38 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Tried the demo but it wouldn't read incoming texts for me. Do I need to change a setting in Messenger or in this app?

I tried turning Driving Mode (that send a auto reply 'Driving Now...' and doesn't alert for texts incoming) off in Messenger but no help.

After the free Demo how much is the App?
It cost $2.99. I ordered and using it, it works fine for me. (dont turn on auto reply), Make sure it's enabled, there is a on switch at the TOP of the settings.

If you still cant figure out, do you want me to take screen shotfs of my settings ?