LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is the 460L to big in the rear passenger area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 07:34 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Is the 460L to big in the rear passenger area?

I continue to keep an eye out for a LS460 to upgrade to within a year or so. I'm 6' 5"/300 and one of the things that has made me fall in love with the LS over say a GS is the room. I can take 4 adults similar sized to me in my LS430 and not have to move my drivers seat up to give the person in the rear more room.

That being said, I would think a 460L would be the way to go but I've never been in one. Sometimes when I look at pictures of cars for sale with the L version it looks like way too much room. I'm a little concerned that if my kids ride in the back they'll feel like they way too far away from the front.

If I remember correctly the L is only 6" more room which doesn't sound like a lot but sometimes it looks like a huge distance in pictures. Is the L version something I should target or is it one of those things that a L is a take or leave it feature? Right now I think I would probably prefer the L but it's not a deal breaker if I find the right LS in all other areas (color combo, wheels, maintenance, price, etc).
Old 06-08-17, 07:44 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
I continue to keep an eye out for a LS460 to upgrade to within a year or so. I'm 6' 5"/300 and one of the things that has made me fall in love with the LS over say a GS is the room. I can take 4 adults similar sized to me in my LS430 and not have to move my drivers seat up to give the person in the rear more room.

That being said, I would think a 460L would be the way to go but I've never been in one. Sometimes when I look at pictures of cars for sale with the L version it looks like way too much room. I'm a little concerned that if my kids ride in the back they'll feel like they way too far away from the front.

If I remember correctly the L is only 6" more room which doesn't sound like a lot but sometimes it looks like a huge distance in pictures. Is the L version something I should target or is it one of those things that a L is a take or leave it feature? Right now I think I would probably prefer the L but it's not a deal breaker if I find the right LS in all other areas (color combo, wheels, maintenance, price, etc).
I went with an "L" due to the feature set more than the size. I found 460's to be random in features, some had no ML system but, had the navi, other had the NAVI and ML with out the self park (it's a OK feature when it works). The L had all the features I wanted in a LS.

As for kids, I have a 5 year old and a 8 year old. I am 6.1 so I keep my seat back, but, they are not too far back. Sad to say, my 5 year old can reach the back seat with her feet, I wish it was a just a little bigger so I am not cleaning foot prints off the back of the seats all the time !
Old 06-08-17, 07:59 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, if you are 6'5" tall, you'll have the driver's seat all the way back. So the room in the back of an LWB would be almost like a normal person in an SWB.
Old 06-08-17, 08:23 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

For me, going with an L would only be my choice because of the features as Dave pointed out. The extra room is not a concern for me, as my SWB is PLENTY big enough. I've had some very tall and large people in my car without me wishing it were larger.
Old 06-08-17, 08:47 AM
waterdude
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree with David, I went with the "L" also due to all the feature's it included. Also, when buying used there doesn't seem to be a big price difference between the LWB and SWB. All my passenger love the rear seat legroom. I never had any complaints about the car being too big except when the rear passenger has hard time hearing what I am saying.

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I went with an "L" due to the feature set more than the size. I found 460's to be random in features, some had no ML system but, had the navi, other had the NAVI and ML with out the self park (it's a OK feature when it works). The L had all the features I wanted in a LS.

As for kids, I have a 5 year old and a 8 year old. I am 6.1 so I keep my seat back, but, they are not too far back. Sad to say, my 5 year old can reach the back seat with her feet, I wish it was a just a little bigger so I am not cleaning foot prints off the back of the seats all the time !
Old 06-08-17, 09:27 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

When I was on the hunt I saw a good amount of swb 460's around. Not the case with the A8. Almost all of them are long. As others mentioned, you tend to get more bang for the buck with a lwb vehicle. Mine was not fully optioned out but the price was fantastic and having the extra room didn't bother me. In general, the swb will easily accommodated most but having that extra room is rather nice.
Old 06-08-17, 09:54 AM
caverman
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to learn to keep an eye out for all the different features. I definitely want the ML stereo and Nav but I'm not concerned with things like self park as much. I'm assuming that driving the L is really no different than the SWB?

Sounds like I should keep the L as part of my requirements when to looking to buy.

Last edited by caverman; 06-08-17 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-08-17, 09:56 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Swb will handle a little better in sport driving. Pretty minimal difference.
Old 06-08-17, 10:01 AM
caverman
Instructor

So, based on the comments a L version automatically comes with the ML stereo and Nav?
Old 06-08-17, 10:02 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

how big is your garage? my garage barely fit the SWB.. the garage door has definitely kissed the back bumper a few times
Old 06-08-17, 10:13 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

So, based on the comments a L version automatically comes with the ML stereo and Nav?
The nav is standard on the L but the ML stereo isn't.
Old 06-08-17, 10:17 AM
waterdude
Rookie

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
The nav is standard on the L but the ML stereo isn't.
For 2008 (the year I have), additional standard feature on the L included:
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Navigation
- Shark Fin Antenna
- Front seats with heat/cool
- Laminated side glass
- Power rear sunshade
- Power door closer
- Power rear trunk open/close
Old 06-08-17, 10:17 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
how big is your garage? my garage barely fit the SWB.. the garage door has definitely kissed the back bumper a few times
​​​​​​​Unfortunately it will be outside because my garages are full. I have my classic car in one garage, wife's in the second, and all the misc stuff like refrigerator, bikes, trash cans, toolbox etc in the other. However, even if it does make it back inside at some point we used to park an '04 Yukon XL inside the garage. There was only about 6" left in front of it but it was enough to barely squeeze my body by if I had to.
Old 06-08-17, 10:26 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to learn to keep an eye out for all the different features. I definitely want the ML stereo and Nav but I'm not concerned with things like self park as much. I'm assuming that driving the L is really no different than the SWB?

Sounds like I should keep the L as part of my requirements when to looking to buy.
Trust me, I was eyeing LS460s for about 3 years before buying one (no permission from the wife) so learned I needed look for differences inside the car. My big features were Navi (the dash looks so much better), ML system, Self part (because I just wanted the feature), park assit (so I get the beep when I get too close). and the "L" has those features standard. On the LS460 it's hit or miss as I said above. If you want the feature set, hunt for a "L"

If there was ONE feature I could have is the Dynamic Cruse control but, Lexus made the feature unavailble to people in the "snow belt" (as it does not work with SNOW on the car)and no models were sold with the feature in 2007-2008 accept for LS600HL. TRUST ME, I did my homework here....

I saw an "L" with the feature but, it was in Florida (I live in CT) but, was in OK shape... I almost flew out to buy and drive it home.... ALMOST. The price was insane on it ($8500 with 115K on it with history from Lexus up to the last 25K)

Sigh....my NEXT car will have that feature.

Originally Posted by waterdude
For 2008 (the year I have), additional standard feature on the L included:
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Navigation
- Shark Fin Antenna
- Front seats with heat/cool
- Laminated side glass
- Power rear sunshade
- Power door closer
- Power rear trunk open/close
Power door closer standard ? Was it the same in 2007 ?

Mine does not have it, at least I dont know if it does and just doesn't work (or is disable). Is there a visable differnce in the door or anywhere to show if you have the feature ?

Last edited by DavidinCT; 06-08-17 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-08-17, 10:39 AM
waterdude
Rookie

There is no visible difference in the door. Watch this youtube video for a demo of the auto door closer feature.

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Trust me, I was eyeing LS460s for about 3 years before buying one (no permission from the wife) so learned I needed look for differences inside the car. My big features were Navi (the dash looks so much better), ML system, Self part (because I just wanted the feature), park assit (so I get the beep when I get too close). and the "L" has those features standard. On the LS460 it's hit or miss as I said above. If you want the feature set, hunt for a "L"

If there was ONE feature I could have is the Dynamic Cruse control but, Lexus made the feature unavailble to people in the "snow belt" (as it does not work with SNOW on the car)and no models were sold with the feature in 2007-2008 accept for LS600HL. TRUST ME, I did my homework here....

I saw an "L" with the feature but, it was in Florida (I live in CT) but, was in OK shape... I almost flew out to buy and drive it home.... ALMOST. The price was insane on it ($8500 with 115K on it with history from Lexus up to the last 25K)

Sigh....my NEXT car will have that feature.

Power door closer standard ?

Mine does not have it, at least I dont know if it does and just doesn't work (or is disable). Is there a visable differnce in the door or anywhere to show if you have the feature ?

Quick Reply: Is the 460L to big in the rear passenger area?