LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Pad and Rotor Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-17, 12:00 PM
R1Concepts
Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
My friend that owns a slightly older year (but also AWD) said that RockAuto.com has the AWD rotors with a different part # than the RWD?

Please advise?
From 2013-2017, the RWD and AWD NON F Sport models use the same rotors and brake pads. Hope this helps.
888-712-6623 Ext. 7022
Old 12-02-17, 06:55 AM
Craiger
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
A quick call to the dealer confirmed that I do in fact have the Touring Package so I need the Bigger Brakes and Rotors. Of Course !!!
I have my window sticker and I don't see "Touring Package". This car has everything else so I'm surprised I don't see "Touring Package". I'm ordering new brake rotors so I want to be sure I get the right kind. Is "Touring Package" what should be on the window sticker? What features/parts are in the touring package?
Old 05-16-18, 11:12 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

For a 2014 F Sport RWD how many brake sensors are needed? 2? 4? If they have not been activated can i simply reuse them or should I be changing them every brake change like with my old BMW?
Old 05-16-18, 01:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

If they have not been activated can i simply reuse them or should I be changing them every brake change like with my old BMW?
Re-use them...no need to replace unless tripped.
Old 05-16-18, 05:37 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Craiger
I have my window sticker and I don't see "Touring Package". This car has everything else so I'm surprised I don't see "Touring Package". I'm ordering new brake rotors so I want to be sure I get the right kind. Is "Touring Package" what should be on the window sticker? What features/parts are in the touring package?
I had a similar questions when I was buying brakes/rotors. Brake rotor diameter tells what you have. I don't have exact sizes handy but regular rear was 13.x and touring 14.x inches diameter.
Old 05-17-18, 11:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Was meaning to bump this...

I'm at almost 7,000 miles on my 2017 now, and my OEM rotors are smooth and un-warped! I'm amazed, I've done some mountain trips too loaded down and no warping at all. My 2015 rotors were warped bad by now. I wonder if they made some changes to the parts?
Old 05-17-18, 01:45 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

My 2010 LS600hL is still going strong on the original OEM brakes after 66k miles (from reviewing the Lexus service history). The last checkup was last year at 60k miles, and the note said the pads were down to half of their life. I do get a slight amount of pulse when braking, but not enough to make me want to change brakes and rotors just yet. I know that the hybrid regenerative brakes on the LS600hL last a lot longer than the standard LS460 OEM brakes. I'll probably have mine changed with OEM parts sometime in the next year or two.
Old 05-17-18, 01:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That doesn't surprise me so much because of the regenerative brakes...
Old 05-17-18, 02:47 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Was meaning to bump this...

I'm at almost 7,000 miles on my 2017 now, and my OEM rotors are smooth and un-warped! I'm amazed, I've done some mountain trips too loaded down and no warping at all. My 2015 rotors were warped bad by now. I wonder if they made some changes to the parts?
This is encouraging for when I go back to stock.
Old 05-17-18, 03:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I still wouldn't go back to stock...
Old 05-17-18, 09:14 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Why would you?
Old 05-18-18, 05:53 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Why would you?
I agree. Good question. Pay more, for (what I believe to be) lower quality? When I took possession of my 2010 (in late 2014), it had 13,800 miles on it. The front rotors were warped horribly.

I removed them and had each one resurfaced for $10 each. My car has like 41k miles on it now and the warp has been returning since about 40k. To me, this is unacceptable for an $80k+ (originally) flagship. This warp annoys the living ---- out of me. And I baby the car, I don't drive or brake hard. I'll deal with it when I have time, by following this thread's recommendations.

Steve - in Toyota's defense, and in my experience with working as a design engineer for them. When they KNOW of a problem, they focus all their effort to determine the absolute optimal resolution, and then execute. I wouldn't put it past them to have made a change to the brakes. Maybe it took a long time because *maybe* they studied the issue and determine for them to change the rotors alone, was not the optimal solution. Or it could be that based on their criteria to filter out what is a real problem, the brakes didn't get recognized as a worthy concern until later in the game.

I have big time respect for Toyota from having worked for those guys. And then gained MUCH MORE respect for Toyota, when I went to work for Hyundai-Kia. My complaint stems from the fact that the LS is the flagship. A flagship should be big, bold, boastful, and have excessive unnecessary stuff (like 8 cylinders when 6 cylinder may get the job done). As far as cylinders go, to me the right approach to a flagship engine would have been to add a cute little supercharger to the 5.0L V8, or even to the 4.6L V8, and throw that power in the face of their competitors. Not to downsize. This isn't a Corolla, where downsizing makes sense. And, if I make it to 80 years old, I'll want a car that sounds pleasant (not silent) when toodling along, and when I slam the throttle to the floor, I want the car to do a back flip from all the power, and sound like a racecar at full throttle.

Anywho, I digress. Back to the brakes. The brakes should be the size and durability of what is seen on Mack trucks and freight trains, for a flagship.
Old 05-18-18, 06:20 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

I recently purchased Centric rotors and pads (posi-quiet ceramic) from Rockauto and had them installed at an independent shop. I have been happy with the Centric's over the stock that was previously on the car. The pulsating was unbearable and the car only had 19k miles on it!!!

My only complaint on the Centric's is that I have a terrible squeak the very first time I press the brake pedal each morning. No noises after that very first time touching the brakes. Not sure why they squeak on the first press of the brakes, but they are smooth and silent the rest of the day, until next morning. Wish I could get rid of that initial daily squeak, its embarrassing......
Old 05-18-18, 08:36 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mbarron37
I recently purchased Centric rotors and pads (posi-quiet ceramic) from Rockauto and had them installed at an independent shop. I have been happy with the Centric's over the stock that was previously on the car. The pulsating was unbearable and the car only had 19k miles on it!!!

My only complaint on the Centric's is that I have a terrible squeak the very first time I press the brake pedal each morning. No noises after that very first time touching the brakes. Not sure why they squeak on the first press of the brakes, but they are smooth and silent the rest of the day, until next morning. Wish I could get rid of that initial daily squeak, its embarrassing......
Did you replace the hardware as well? By that I mean, ALL the springs, caliper slides, retainers etc? As seen here: https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-72341-hw13543.aspx
Old 05-18-18, 09:39 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Did you replace the hardware as well? By that I mean, ALL the springs, caliper slides, retainers etc? As seen here: https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-72341-hw13543.aspx
Good question, I'm not sure. The pads had the shims and hardware kit (part #10512830 and #10512820 from Rockauto) www.rockauto.com/en/parts/centric,10512830,brake+pad,1684

I don't think anything else was replaced. Should other parts have been replaced as well?

Quick Reply: Brake Pad and Rotor Thread