LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Pad and Rotor Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 03:16 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Did anyone "bed" or break-in their Centric rotors and pads after installation? I recall reading in the forum that someone posted Centric instructing not to bed their rotors/pads. I'm having all four rotors and pads installed in the morning and not sure if I should ask my mechanic to skip the bedding.
If both the rotors and pads are being replaced, then there really isn't any "bedding" to be done.
All equipment will be completely smooth.

The "bedding" concept is meant to cut grooves from used rotors into the new pads so their contact surfaces match for maximum friction.
Old 03-25-17, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

No, just drove normally
Old 03-25-17, 07:40 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did anyone "bed" or break-in their Centric rotors and pads after installation? I recall reading in the forum that someone posted Centric instructing not to bed their rotors/pads. I'm having all four rotors and pads installed in the morning and not sure if I should ask my mechanic to skip the bedding.
Just installed the Centric pads and rotors. I did do a few hard stops, but as said earlier I don't think they were necessary, as they felt fine prior to.

The install was one of the easiest brake jobs done, very DIY friendly.

Just a few reminders and tips:
-Release the e-brake so rear rotors come off (sometimes overlooked since we have the funky push button)
-If you have someone helping you remind them not to press the brake pedal when turning the car on to move the wheels side to side. Repeat this everytime they go to turn the car on, lol
-Grease brake pins and in between brake pads shims and sound buffer
-Not required, but highly recommended get new brake pad hardware. The good thing about the Centric pads the hardware was including, BONUS
-Finally, document the orientation of the brake pad springs. Take a picture, draw a diagram. Very easy to put on wrong.

Opinions:
The Centric pads and rotors are a great replacement for the stocks. As said earlier there's no warped feeling in the pedal when braking. They feel very smooth, and I haven't noticed too much brake dust. Also BONUS the brake hardware is included with the pads.

Frat over, lol.
Old 03-25-17, 07:53 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirteeboy
Just installed the Centric pads and rotors. I did do a few hard stops, but as said earlier I don't think they were necessary, as they felt fine prior to.

The install was one of the easiest brake jobs done, very DIY friendly.

Just a few reminders and tips:
-Release the e-brake so rear rotors come off (sometimes overlooked since we have the funky push button)
-If you have someone helping you remind them not to press the brake pedal when turning the car on to move the wheels side to side. Repeat this everytime they go to turn the car on, lol
-Grease brake pins and in between brake pads shims and sound buffer
-Not required, but highly recommended get new brake pad hardware. The good thing about the Centric pads the hardware was including, BONUS
-Finally, document the orientation of the brake pad springs. Take a picture, draw a diagram. Very easy to put on wrong.

Opinions:
The Centric pads and rotors are a great replacement for the stocks. As said earlier there's no warped feeling in the pedal when braking. They feel very smooth, and I haven't noticed too much brake dust. Also BONUS the brake hardware is included with the pads.

Frat over, lol.
Thank you for confirming, Steve, and for the explanation earlier, dfkd.

Appreciate the added tips, Dirtee. I am looking forward to braking without the "warped feeling".
Old 03-25-17, 09:13 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Ahhhh, the return of smooth braking and linear pedal travel after upgrading to Centric Premium rotors and Centric Posi-quiet Ceramic brake pads. Thank you roadfrog for recommending these early on. I'm another satisfied Centric customer.

Had my mechanic do an oil change, the rotors and brake pads, and adjust some Techstream settings. He didn't have enough time to get to the ambient light above the glove box but a cursory inspection revealed it is missing some screws or clips. I went back into the service records and Lexus of Sacramento did replace the clock on 11/17/2016 so maybe they damaged the ambient lighting LEDs back then since they also failed to replace a few screws. Also possible the November service is entirely unrelated to the ambient light issue. I already don't like Lexus of Sacramento and am surprised the previous owner kept taking the car there. Overall, the ambient lighting is a minor issue. The braking feels so much better now and more LS 430-like. Just love driving the 460. Each time I get in, it feels special.
Old 03-25-17, 09:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Ahhhh, the return of smooth braking and linear pedal travel after upgrading to Centric Premium rotors and Centric Posi-quiet Ceramic brake pads. Thank you roadfrog for recommending these early on. I'm another satisfied Centric customer.

Had my mechanic do an oil change, the rotors and brake pads, and adjust some Techstream settings. He didn't have enough time to get to the ambient light above the glove box but a cursory inspection revealed it is missing some screws or clips. I went back into the service records and Lexus of Sacramento did replace the clock on 11/17/2016 so maybe they damaged the ambient lighting LEDs back then since they also failed to replace a few screws. Also possible the November service is entirely unrelated to the ambient light issue. I already don't like Lexus of Sacramento and am surprised the previous owner kept taking the car there. Overall, the ambient lighting is a minor issue. The braking feels so much better now and more LS 430-like. Just love driving the 460. Each time I get in, it feels special.
Glad to hear it! They're pretty great. Amazing how something so seemingly subtle as brakes can make a car feel new again, especially in this case.
Old 03-26-17, 06:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

there was a TSB for clock replacement on the 2013s, I'm sure thats what happened, they likely just didn't plug the ambient light back in. They remove that whole trim piece to get to the clock obviously.

Glad you're happy with the brakes! Yeah the difference is huge, not just the warped rotors but the braking feel is much better. My mechanic said the reason the 460s feel grabby is the OEM brake pads are really thick, aftermarket brake pads are a more typical thickness. Means they won't last as long, but the feel will be better.
Old 03-26-17, 09:36 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS
there was a TSB for clock replacement on the 2013s, I'm sure thats what happened, they likely just didn't plug the ambient light back in. They remove that whole trim piece to get to the clock obviously.

Glad you're happy with the brakes! Yeah the difference is huge, not just the warped rotors but the braking feel is much better. My mechanic said the reason the 460s feel grabby is the OEM brake pads are really thick, aftermarket brake pads are a more typical thickness. Means they won't last as long, but the feel will be better.
Thanks, Steve. I emailed the SA at Lexus of Sacramento this morning and mentioned the possibility that a connect was missed when they put everything back together after the clock TSB. Appointment is set for Wednesday.
Old 04-12-17, 09:17 AM
Robb92914
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Centric premium CERAMIC is what I got. Metallic pads will leave residue on your wheels. The third ones you posted are parking brake pads.

Thanks for the info Roadfrog! I am looking to get the same setup you got but have a question. On RockAuto the part number for the Centrics are 105.12830 and 105.12820 but on amazon they are 105.1283 and 105.1282. Do you know if there is a difference. I would just get the rockauto ones but have an Amazon credit that I would like to use. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-17, 10:01 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Robb92914
Thanks for the info Roadfrog! I am looking to get the same setup you got but have a question. On RockAuto the part number for the Centrics are 105.12830 and 105.12820 but on amazon they are 105.1283 and 105.1282. Do you know if there is a difference. I would just get the rockauto ones but have an Amazon credit that I would like to use. Thanks in advance!
I think the Amazon ones are just missing a zero at the end of the part number.
Old 04-12-17, 10:05 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I agree with Fathertoi, sounds like the same parts. Just make sure they're listed as "premium" rotors.
Old 04-12-17, 11:01 AM
Robb92914
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome! Thanks guys...i swear this forum is the best of all the ones I've been on. I'm on the Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade forum and takes 2 weeks for an answer to a question lol.
Old 04-13-17, 11:26 AM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

R1 Premium rotors and Carbotech pads. No squeel, very little dust, great brake feel.
The following users liked this post:
R1Concepts (06-06-17)
Old 05-07-17, 08:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So just an update, I'm 5k miles in. Just got back from a long trip, mountain driving with heavy brake use on 8-9% curvy downgrades, brakes held up great, no fade, no warping.
Old 06-05-17, 07:03 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Glad to hear it! They're pretty great. Amazing how something so seemingly subtle as brakes can make a car feel new again, especially in this case.
My car is the L Model but, I don't know if it's the Touring model or not. The Prices are more for the touring model. I guess I better dig a little deeper and find out before I order the cheaper Brake Rotors.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad and Rotor Thread