LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need New Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 09:24 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

I went with KYB Gas A just for $100 each online shipped. I was sold by KYB description off there website. I pasted the details below, Gas a Just is the only option. I just change the front ones. I know the rear ones are good because I can barely move the car on the bounce test. I took the struts out myself and had a family mechanic assemble them with a new strut mount for labor cost of $30 each. I tried using spring compressor to do them myself but it got a little squirrelly and seemed a bit dangerous.
I have 92K miles currently. The old strut out of the coil spring still had a strong spring back when I compressed them down and compared to the new KYBs. There were no oil leaks and a tiny bit of surface rust so I thought they might have been changed out already and I was wasting my money. I did not see in the service history of them being changed. To my surprise the KYBs was a BIG improvement when I did a 20 mile test drive . I have 19" Touring wheels and it now drive like I have the 18s back on! I went over a bumpy construction site road almost at double the speed I would normally do and it absorbed the bumps very well. I am extremely happy with the KYBs. Could it be that the KYB are an improved strut over the original oems? I think the reaction time over bumps is much faster vs oem. While the no name struts online may be 1/2 the cost or less and perform well vs. completed worn struts, I would advise to spend a little more on KYBs which is what the Lexus LS460 flagship deserves.

KYB site description:
The KYB Gas-a-Just monotube shock absorber has additional performance advantages over the traditional twin-tube design: It can instantly, automatically adjust to your performance needs and never experiences fade due to aeration. The Gas-a-Just is available as an OE monotube replacement and as an OE twin-tube performance upgrade. The KYB Gas-a-Just has two separate working chambers: An air-free hydraulic piston and valve area for responsiveness & control, and a second high-pressure nitrogen gas area with a floating piston that provides a comfortable ride during normal driving and adds instant performance on demand.
  • The correct, monotube-designed OEM replacement shock
  • Specifically calibrated to help restore the original handling and control characteristics of the Lexus LS
  • High gas pressure design provides instant, extra control
  • monotube design outperforms all other standard shock absorbers
  • Unique, air-free, hydraulic unit eliminates performance fade
  • Engineered to help vehicles with electronic safety systems (ESC, ABS, etc.)

Last edited by JLAWS; 11-16-17 at 09:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
diamente (03-12-19)
Old 11-16-17, 11:16 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Glad your happy with them. Nothing like new shocks to inject new life into a cars ride. My non KYB's are holding up great as well. It's been almost a year now (or so) since I installed them. So far so great.

I would advise to spend a little more on KYBs which is what the Lexus LS460 flagship deserves.
LO...Screw what the "Lexus deserves", I'm the one that paid the $$ for her...it's what I think I deserve that matters. I don't owe it one dang thing...it owes ME.

Last edited by roadfrog; 11-16-17 at 11:46 AM.
intlmike (11-05-19)
Old 11-16-17, 03:28 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
I went with KYB Gas A just for $100 each online shipped. I was sold by KYB description off there website. I pasted the details below, Gas a Just is the only option. I just change the front ones. I know the rear ones are good because I can barely move the car on the bounce test. I took the struts out myself and had a family mechanic assemble them with a new strut mount for labor cost of $30 each. I tried using spring compressor to do them myself but it got a little squirrelly and seemed a bit dangerous.
I have 92K miles currently. The old strut out of the coil spring still had a strong spring back when I compressed them down and compared to the new KYBs. There were no oil leaks and a tiny bit of surface rust so I thought they might have been changed out already and I was wasting my money. I did not see in the service history of them being changed. To my surprise the KYBs was a BIG improvement when I did a 20 mile test drive . I have 19" Touring wheels and it now drive like I have the 18s back on! I went over a bumpy construction site road almost at double the speed I would normally do and it absorbed the bumps very well. I am extremely happy with the KYBs. Could it be that the KYB are an improved strut over the original oems? I think the reaction time over bumps is much faster vs oem. While the no name struts online may be 1/2 the cost or less and perform well vs. completed worn struts, I would advise to spend a little more on KYBs which is what the Lexus LS460 flagship deserves.

KYB site description:
The KYB Gas-a-Just monotube shock absorber has additional performance advantages over the traditional twin-tube design: It can instantly, automatically adjust to your performance needs and never experiences fade due to aeration. The Gas-a-Just is available as an OE monotube replacement and as an OE twin-tube performance upgrade. The KYB Gas-a-Just has two separate working chambers: An air-free hydraulic piston and valve area for responsiveness & control, and a second high-pressure nitrogen gas area with a floating piston that provides a comfortable ride during normal driving and adds instant performance on demand.
  • The correct, monotube-designed OEM replacement shock
  • Specifically calibrated to help restore the original handling and control characteristics of the Lexus LS
  • High gas pressure design provides instant, extra control
  • monotube design outperforms all other standard shock absorbers
  • Unique, air-free, hydraulic unit eliminates performance fade
  • Engineered to help vehicles with electronic safety systems (ESC, ABS, etc.)
I believe KYB are actually OEM struts for the LS460, they are organal equipment, no? If you take a close look at the originals that came off the car KYB is stamped on the bottom of them.
Old 11-16-17, 05:05 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

They are KYB, however, KYB likely tunes the damping specifically for Lexus in the shocks they supply them
Old 11-17-17, 01:08 AM
fb182
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Great to hear the positive review on the KYB gas a just shocks. I may go with those when the time comes.

Does anyone know if the OEM shocks were a monotube or twin tube design?
Old 11-17-17, 12:33 PM
timinfla2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the suspension - I recall reading that it takes a considerable amount of time to change the vehicle's ride height to high. Does it also take this long to change from Sport to Comfort, or is it more instantaneous?

Thank you. I'm going to test mine tonight when I get outta the dealer.
Old 11-18-17, 03:35 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

ive also bought the KYB's and the tanabe lowering springs, I'm really looking forward to seeing how it will ride .

The tanabe springs are 5% stiffer which to me is good, I'm hoping for slightly sporty while still retaining the OEM feel.

I really didn't want to go coilovers , apparently they don't last as long and the ride quality is a roll of the dice
Old 02-11-19, 08:50 AM
Asim88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
They are KYB, however, KYB likely tunes the damping specifically for Lexus in the shocks they supply them
Yes KYB is written on the oem shocks however its a different one compared to Gas A. I just compared both today.
why would KYB oem price differ from kyb Gas A. Cos its different quality.
Old 02-11-19, 08:59 AM
Asim88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy all four on Ebay for 130.00 with free shipping: front: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Shock-Ab...JY1jAn&vxp=mtr

rear: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Shock-Ab...5Y1iJj&vxp=mtr
I live in the UAE. Got all 4 KYB Gas A for $258!!!!
Old 07-08-19, 12:47 PM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad your happy with them. Nothing like new shocks to inject new life into a cars ride. My non KYB's are holding up great as well. It's been almost a year now (or so) since I installed them. So far so great.

LO...Screw what the "Lexus deserves", I'm the one that paid the $$ for her...it's what I think I deserve that matters. I don't owe it one dang thing...it owes ME.
Hey @roadfrog ! I am changing out the struts in my 08LS and wanted to check on the rear EBay specials you have, not that it's been a couple years. Are they still riding well? Any fade or issues?

I have already purchased KYB struts and mounts for the front, but am considering swapping the rear while the car is in there. At $50 shipped, that saves ~$150, effectively covering about half (or more) of the labor with the savings.

Thanks!

Old 07-08-19, 01:41 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealer quoted me 5-6 hours for rear strut replacement at $120/hr.
Only other tech in my town that I trust charges $100/hr.
icon901 (07-08-19)
Old 07-08-19, 02:17 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by icon901
Hey @roadfrog ! I am changing out the struts in my 08LS and wanted to check on the rear EBay specials you have, not that it's been a couple years. Are they still riding well? Any fade or issues?

I have already purchased KYB struts and mounts for the front, but am considering swapping the rear while the car is in there. At $50 shipped, that saves ~$150, effectively covering about half (or more) of the labor with the savings.

Thanks!
I would stick with KYB all around. You will most likely not need the rear strut mounts. Mine still looked new with no cracks. Up to you. KYB are improved mono tube design strut vs twin tube.
Old 07-10-19, 08:28 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by icon901

Thanks!
I traded-in my car in October. However, up to that date and approximately 40k miles, they were still riding like new. No issues whatsoever..
icon901 (07-10-19)
Old 08-28-19, 05:33 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Sure.

I replaced all four shocks/struts about 3 months ago. Replaced with units I bought on Ebay from this vendor: http://www.ebay.com/usr/************...72.m2749.l2754

I paid 150 dollars for all four. I've driven about 5k miles on them so far. Ride is great and feels new again. Obviously, longevity remains to be seen, but the quality of the shocks seem good, and they perform as they should. I had them installed by a large tire chain here in Canada along with my front control arms and ball joints. My only other options was KYB, but they were 3-4 times the price and no way would they give me 3-4 times the performance or longevity. It was a no-brainer for me.

I took the plunge and bought all 4 Staggs struts for $125 shipped thanks to your advise. Sill saving up for 7 OEM control arms (already bought one). Can’t wait for the suspension transformation. Every little bump feels like a sharp THUD! It’s giving me a headache.

Thanks again Chris.
Old 05-23-20, 08:09 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Went to the dealer because i was getting a B1861 code for drivers knee air bag error. Came on last Saturday morning i pulled the battery sunday night it cleared the code. And it never came back. Had appt with dealer on Thursday to run a check., The code was gone in history too. Anyways they noted the rear right shock is leaking. And of course they wanted over $1100 to do one shock. I went to a shop near my house i use at times. They quoted me about $3300 for all four installed. KYB brand.

I found these on ebay for a complete set. The ones roadfrog used are still around. As much as we all like to say stay with KYB any others uses something else?

​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-...3948fb288491dd