LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need New Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 08:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Need New Shocks

Took my car to get tires balanced. As usual, anytime I have my car on a hoist or wheels off, I have a look-see around to see how things are. Well, I noticed my driver's side, rear shock is leaking badly. So the hunt for replacements begins. I'm replacing all four shocks and I have NON air suspension.

I found a set on Ebay: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/272117581884?...MakeTrack=true

This is the first time I've seen a supplier other than KYB. I had been considering KYB Gas A Just or KYB Excel-G (one is monotube and the other is twin tube).

For 244 bucks for ALL FOUR shocks, I can't pass this up. They have a Lifetime Warranty.

Comments?
The following users liked this post:
texas008 (06-30-22)
Old 09-12-16, 09:58 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

How much is the shipping to you? Based on what it shows me its $141.25 for shipping which is not too much less than going with KYB. KYB is $412 plus shipping on Rockauto and they usually send a 5% discount to returning customers. I've never heard of DTA so I'd be weary. My experience has been you get what you pay for.
Old 09-12-16, 11:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarKnight
How much is the shipping to you? Based on what it shows me its $141.25 for shipping which is not too much less than going with KYB. KYB is $412 plus shipping on Rockauto and they usually send a 5% discount to returning customers. I've never heard of DTA so I'd be weary. My experience has been you get what you pay for.
Shipping is free in the US. I live 15 minutes from the border. I ship it there and pay 3 bucks to pick it up. I hear what you're saying on getting what you pay for. While that is often true, it's not always the case, and I've had very good luck buying "offshore" brands in the past. Plus, it's a North American company and with a Lifetime Warranty, it's hard to pass up. As well, there are a few threads here at CL, of some who have had trouble with KYB shocks. I can't say the same (I've had good luck with KYB) , but there you go. Here is their website..they're are based in Georgia: http://www.drivetechamerica.com/

Last edited by roadfrog; 09-12-16 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-12-16, 11:51 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

And here's Amazon's reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/40032-Shocks-S...ews/B007NZ9GYG
Old 09-12-16, 12:16 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Please report back after your installation.. I guess the time will come for most of us to change out the shocks.
Old 09-12-16, 12:55 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

If that's the case then I say give it a try. Worst case you're out $244. Let us know how it works out, might be a good, inexpensive option. I'm actually considering coilovers but this might be the way to go for that price.
Old 09-12-16, 03:25 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I feel like I am always following you, lol. Let us know how install is and I may be getting a set of these too!
Old 09-12-16, 03:41 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Littleguy
I feel like I am always following you, lol. Let us know how install is and I may be getting a set of these too!
LOL. Well, I haven't absolutely decided on these, but honestly....I don't know how I can turn down a deal like this.
Old 09-13-16, 10:54 AM
realkrs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you put in a set of Bilsteins if available for your car you'll wonder what took you so long. It's money well spent because they'll outlast any other choice
Old 09-13-16, 11:22 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by realkrs
If you put in a set of Bilsteins if available for your car you'll wonder what took you so long. It's money well spent because they'll outlast any other choice
Not an option...none available for our cars. Same with Monroe, Koni, etc.
Old 09-13-16, 02:11 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Hmmmmm, I have an oil change coming up soon. I'll have to inspect mine.
Old 09-13-16, 02:47 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Hmmmmm, I have an oil change coming up soon. I'll have to inspect mine.
Don't be surprised to see them all looking good. Only my drivers side rear was leaking. The other 3 looked great (but they're probably tired regardless after 115k miles). That leaky one is so bad that the buffer/cushion was coated in what looked like grease....and thick
Old 09-13-16, 04:36 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I've never even given mine a look...had it on the lift the other day for an oil change and never even thought about it. I did give it the usual inspection...control arm bushings, tie rods, wheel bearings, check for leaks, etc. I'll have to take a look at my struts next time. Let us know what you do.
Old 09-13-16, 06:38 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Did you notice any difference in absorbing bumps coming from that rear left side, or any impact on handling?
Old 09-13-16, 07:16 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The previous car I had was notorious for struts leaking and going bad at around 90k miles. The RL, while not as heavy as this, was a fat hog nonetheless and apparently eats struts like mad. It's a common issue and it's all over their forums.

One thing that was shocking to me was how much the ride improved after replacing them. But, the funny thing about this was that prior to changing them, it felt normal to me, just because the degradation in quality is typically slow as molasses and imperceptible over time, unless one blows out completely.

I was anazed how much smoother and less jarring it was by just swapping out those old, tired struts. I couldn't tell they were bad until I had new ones and honestly I think that's fairly common since we ride on these things for eons. I did notice "thuds" over jarring bumps, but again, it felt normal to me because I got use to it and it came on slowly.

Theres a huge thread about KYBs on Acurazine and multiple reports of new ones leaking, weeping and failing after a year. Of course, many people have reported 50k miles without issues too. I ended up replacing mine with OEMs. Replaced the bump stops as well as it was aging and failing due to the struts periodically hitting them.

In any case, good luck and yeah, if your car has 90k+ miles, I would definetely inspect them. Like any mechanical, load-bearing part, they wear out, especially on a beast of a car like ours.

Quick Reply: Need New Shocks