LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Power Steering Whine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 02:13 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Power Steering Whine?

I'm beginning to notice a high pitched whine when I first start up my 2008 LS600hL and turn the wheel slightly (like backing out of my garage). It almost sounds like the beginning of a power steering pump problem, but I think our power steering systems on the LS are electric.

Has anyone else experienced a slight whine/growling sound when the car is still cold and the wheel is turned? Maybe the sound has been there all along and I'm just now noticing it.

I did a search on this topic and came up empty. My car is still covered under a CPO warranty, so I'm not too concerned, but was wanting to get opinions from the forum on possible causes (or if this sound is a normal part of the electric power steering we have). Thanks!
Old 05-02-16, 04:16 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Well we can rule out the PS pump (because as you stated, there isn't one on our electric PS units). That leaves a water pump failing, a serpentine belt that needs replacement, an AC compressor that's failing, an idler pulley that needs replacement, or alternator.

I would start with the serpentine belt. It's easily replaced by a DIY'er and can be had on Amazon or Ebay for 10-20 bucks. I replaced mine with a Bando and I got it on Ebay for 12 bucks with free shipping. That's when I discovered that my water pump was leaking.

Do you have a mechanics stethoscope? If not you can borrow them from a local car parts place that has a "lend a tool" program. That will allow you to narrow down where the issue lies.
Old 05-02-16, 04:49 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I hear very faint sound when I turn my steering wheel quick entering the garage on electric mode and gas engine off. Don't hear anything in the morning when I leave. Agree that serpentine belt is the first step since we have seen couple of cases of whining noise on the forum fixed with the replacement. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 05-03-16, 05:49 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
I hear very faint sound when I turn my steering wheel quick entering the garage on electric mode and gas engine off. Don't hear anything in the morning when I leave. Agree that serpentine belt is the first step since we have seen couple of cases of whining noise on the forum fixed with the replacement. Good luck and keep us posted!
Interesting... I really don't think it's the Serpentine Belt, since the sound is directly proportional to the amount I turn the steering wheel (no whine until the wheel is turned). Really seems to me to be related to the steering system somehow. Guess I'll just have the Lexus guys check it out, since I'm still covered by the CPO warranty. If they say I need a new Serpentine Belt (not covered by warranty), I'll do that one myself.

Thanks for the inputs!
Old 05-03-16, 03:48 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Interesting... I really don't think it's the Serpentine Belt, since the sound is directly proportional to the amount I turn the steering wheel (no whine until the wheel is turned). Really seems to me to be related to the steering system somehow. Guess I'll just have the Lexus guys check it out, since I'm still covered by the CPO warranty. If they say I need a new Serpentine Belt (not covered by warranty), I'll do that one myself.

Thanks for the inputs!
I wonder if it's the electric motor in the rack? I guess it could be if it happens only when you turn the wheel.