LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power steering or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 02:01 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Power steering or something else?

Before I got my timing belt and water pump done, I'd sometimes hear a faint whirring/whooshing sound when making turns from a full stop. Thought it was related to timing belt related components being on their last legs because after the service the sound went away for awhile but came back a few days ago. Checked the power steering fluid level and all was good and the sound disappeared for a few days only to reappear today.

Naturally, power steering came to mind so I read through the power steering bible but I'm still perplexed.

Here's what's I'm noticing:
  • Sounds like a turbocharger
  • Usually happens before the engine is warmed up and making a sharp turn but sometimes when accelerating in a straight line too
  • If it's a gentle turn, no sound at all
  • Only happens when coming from a full stop
  • Put the car in park and turned the steering wheel from side to side a few times but the sound didn't show up
Here's what's not happening:
  • No power steering issues at all
  • No groaning or whining sounds
  • No white smoke on start up
  • Power steering fluid level is fine and hasn't dropped at all since I checked it 3 months ago
Noteworthy info:
  • Power steering high pressure line, fluids, and gasket replaced 26,000 miles ago
  • Power steering pump and drive belt replaced 40,000 miles ago.
Take a look under my hood:

Even though no power steering fluid is leaking, it looks like there's a leak on the back end of the power steering pump. Nothing on the front end or on the alternator.

Could also be my leaking valve cover gasket or some power steering fluid that accidentally spilled when I checked the fluid levels a few days ago? Also seems like a hose is missing?
Old 05-04-17, 06:01 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Whirring noises are not always the power steering pump. The drive belt tensioner and idler pulley bearings will make similar sounds when they fail. Moving the steering wheel back and forth can change the noise on a bad pulley bearing as the load on it is changing. For instance, I need to change the drive belt tensioner pulley on my car for some bearing noise. I hear it groan a little when accelerating. If I turn the AC off while it's making the noise the noise will go away. This leads you to believe there is a problem with the AC compressor clutch bearing. But turning off the AC compressor lessens the load on the drive belt system and that is why the noise changes.

To determine if you have a bad pulley bearing put a long shaft flat head screwdriver on the pulley bolt and the handle end against your ear while it's running. It's hard for me to reend doing this as you need to be careful with all the spinney stuff. That's just how I do it and it's very effective. Just don't skewer your head.
Old 05-05-17, 03:00 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee365
To determine if you have a bad pulley bearing put a long shaft flat head screwdriver on the pulley bolt and the handle end against your ear while it's running. It's hard for me to reend doing this as you need to be careful with all the spinney stuff. That's just how I do it and it's very effective. Just don't skewer your head.
I use the screwdriver method all the time, it works good. I used to have a mechanics stethoscope but ya gotta use what ya have.
This way you need to be careful if you have long hair, and don't ( ) be wearing any loose clothing.
If you're doing this near anything that moves make sure you have a steady hand. You surely don't want the screwdriver ripped out of your hand and cause damage to your engine, or you.
The hose you think is missing looks like it just came out of the clamp and is run close to the air intake pipe. On my 93 when the ICV (or the seal) on bottom of pump was bad it spit fluid up the back side of the PS reservoir.
Old 05-06-17, 03:38 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info and safety tips! Will follow the advice and check things out tomorrow.