LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dealer denied replacing Sunroof rubber surround under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 05:49 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Frankly, my experience dealing with "corporate" has been abysmal. I think, as a rule, you are better off developing a good relationship with the dealer and if they don't come through for you, another might.
Tell Lexus that you are concerned for your safety because the surround is engineered to hold the glass in place in the event of a roll over and when the rubber is dried out in this short amount of time it will only get worse.
BTW! Document who you talked to (ask how to spell their name and position with Lexus) and tell them that they will be named in a lawsuit if you get hurt or killed from the result of the roof popping out..... This should get some attention.
TIP! Drop the name of a powerful TV attorney like: Saul Goodman
Old 04-17-16, 06:21 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
BTW! Document who you talked to (ask how to spell their name and position with Lexus) and tell them that they will be named in a lawsuit if you get hurt or killed from the result of the roof popping out..... This should get some attention.
TIP! Drop the name of a powerful TV attorney like: Saul Goodman
Good luck with any of that. I'm assuming you have never spoken with Lexus Corporate? First of all, they are all "case workers" - you never get anyone else. If you ask for the case to be escalated, they say that there is no escalation - they make the decisions. Secondly, they will only give you their first name - no last names. Thirdly, as soon as you mention litigation, they will stop talking to you and refer you to their legal department - no exceptions - that's standard procedure.
Old 04-17-16, 07:11 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

As a LAST RESORT, I would be very happy to talk to the legal department and ask them what "the pursuit of perfection" really means.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 04-18-16 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-20-16, 07:30 AM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Took mine to ParkPlace Grapevine here in Dallas to get it looked at while I was in town. One side seemed to be more exposed to the sun and in worse condition than the other side.

They authorized a replacement no problem after looking for 5 seconds and saw it was still under factory warranty. They wrote everything up for me stating "customer to replace at later date / part needs to be ordered." I'm suppose to be able to take this invoice to my local dealership in Austin and ask them to do the work no problem, otherwise I'll just make a trip to Dallas and give them my business.

I really don't see why some service managers are **** about it. Corporate pays for any warranty work.
Old 05-04-16, 10:25 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by melymel96
I took my 2014 LWB to my dealer over the weekend to check out the sunroof. It was similar to this (forgot to take a photo!), maybe a bit less even. They agreed to replace under warranty.

I suggest you check with a different dealer.
Old 05-04-16, 05:47 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Consider emailing Jeff Bracken, the Lexus Group VP for America. He won't reply, but it'll get forwarded to the resolution team. I don't know if they treat those forwarded inquiries any differently, but they certainly wouldn't do less... Good luck.
Old 05-06-16, 07:44 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
I took my 2014 LWB to my dealer over the weekend to check out the sunroof. It was similar to this (forgot to take a photo!), maybe a bit less even. They agreed to replace under warranty.

I suggest you check with a different dealer.
My '10 looks like that.
Old 05-07-16, 05:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by XpediencY

I really don't see why some service managers are **** about it. Corporate pays for any warranty work.
Because if Lexus decides that something should not have been covered when the dealer has made the determination it should have been covered and already done the work, they will stick the dealer withe the bill.
Old 05-07-16, 08:04 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Exactly. Early on where I worked you had to ship all old warranty parts back To Volvo of America. Then they changed to we had to save all old parts and the district rep would inspect them when he came for a visit. Next they had us toss them and denied claims we already had done at their will for whatever reasoning they decided on. Service managers are on commission for profit per month and they are not the highest paid group. Also their jobs are always on the line because owners or even worse ownership groups are ruthless about each departments bottom line. A friend of mine was a service manager at a Ford dealer and every warranty repair had to be photographed and picture with explanation emailed to Ford for an approval before any work could be authorized. He ran around with his digital camera all day. They had national averages of failures and questioned any larger amounts coming out of any dealership. Any repairs out of the ordinary raised a red flag also. Back charging repairs to the dealer was a sport to the manufacturer.
Old 05-07-16, 05:17 PM
LexusBC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by melymel96

Dang, my 16 year old Camry sunroof looks better than that!
Old 05-09-16, 09:00 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

just checked mine and i offcourse it looks like crap, almost have 70k / 2011 on the car now and will take it my lexus dealer to see what they can do. This should be TSB because this will only gets worse as the the cars get old.

i put some gumi pflege i had laying around, seemed to have helped little, the rubber seems dried out usually faster than its age.

Last edited by UZ214; 01-13-19 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 09:22 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
just checked mine and i offcourse it looks like crap, almost have 70k / 2011 on the car now and will take it my lexus dealer to see what they can do. This should be TSB because this will only gets worse as the the cars get old.

i put some gumi pflege i had laying around, seemed to have helped little, the rubber seems dried out usually faster than its age.
I'm going to ask about this when I pick up my LS today. It'd be great if they came out and did a goodwill replacement.
Old 05-09-16, 02:08 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Originally Posted by UZ214

The Gumi Pflege (made by Wurth) along with 303 is a great product for preserving or nourishing the rubber, but when the rubber is "too far gone" like our rubber "cassettes" it will do nothing except make it "fresh looking" ....... Once the rubber is replaced use 303 or GP to keep it nourished.
BTW! Whenever I am out and around (in my area) I look at all LS460's sunroof rubber and MOST of them have this deteriorating rubber on the sunroof....... I guess most of the owners don't even wash their own car let alone look at the sunroof rubber or they really don't care.
Old 05-09-16, 03:07 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
In your case, it might be worth applying Krytox, which I've learned is a great reconditioner, although very expensive.

DuPont Krytox GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE / PTFE No Additives, 0.5 oz Tube: Amazon.com:

It not only reconditions but protects as well.
Thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking about buying some of this stuff to do some preventative maintenance on my sunroof's weatherstripping. Have you tried on your own? Also wondering if there are other products that might do the trick for less, maybe this:

Amazon.com: 303 (30324) Rubber Seal Protectant - 3.4 fl. oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: 303 (30324) Rubber Seal Protectant - 3.4 fl. oz.: Automotive
Old 05-13-16, 09:11 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

So i went to the lexus dealer ( didn't buy the car from them but its always been serviced there) they are replacing the glass/molding at a good will. My car is over 70k 2011.
Pretty cool of them, i am definitely coming back for all my services and maybe even buy a newer car from them whens its time

Quick Reply: Dealer denied replacing Sunroof rubber surround under warranty