LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dealer denied replacing Sunroof rubber surround under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 08:24 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dealer denied replacing Sunroof rubber surround under warranty

So I took my car into the dealer to have them look at some stuff under warranty.

1. Squeaky brakes - Ordered new parts and will replace when they come in a couple weeks
2. Knocking sound coming from wheel well when turning the wheel at certain times - could not reproduce sound so they didn't do anything
3. Replace the rubber molding due to cracking around sunroom - The service manager denied it and said he wouldn't replace it

Any thoughts on next steps? I told them I would call Lexus Corporate and they said go for it.
Old 04-12-16, 08:41 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by melymel96
So I took my car into the dealer to have them look at some stuff under warranty.

1. Squeaky brakes - Ordered new parts and will replace when they come in a couple weeks
2. Knocking sound coming from wheel well when turning the wheel at certain times - could not reproduce sound so they didn't do anything
3. Replace the rubber molding due to cracking around sunroom - The service manager denied it and said he wouldn't replace it

Any thoughts on next steps? I told them I would call Lexus Corporate and they said go for it.
I read in another thread recently that many dealers replaced the entire sunroof under warranty due to deterioration of the rubber lining. You may want to check with another dealership. I noticed similar issues with my sunroof (2014 LS) and will run it by my dealer soon.
Old 04-12-16, 08:43 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by comotiger
I read in another thread recently that many dealers replaced the entire sunroof under warranty due to deterioration of the rubber lining. You may want to check with another dealership. I noticed similar issues with my sunroof (2014 LS) and will run it by my dealer soon.
I saw that thread as well and thats what I was thinking about going to another dealer. They said they compared it to another 13 LS460 and mine was in good shape compared to that one. Sounded like a BS excuse to me.
Old 04-12-16, 08:49 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by melymel96
I saw that thread as well and thats what I was thinking about going to another dealer. They said they compared it to another 13 LS460 and mine was in good shape compared to that one. Sounded like a BS excuse to me.
I agree. Persist and check with another dealer.
Old 04-12-16, 09:20 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Post a pic up so we can judge for ourselves as well. It would help to see what condition it's in.
Old 04-12-16, 09:39 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Post a pic up so we can judge for ourselves as well. It would help to see what condition it's in.

Old 04-12-16, 09:57 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the pics. My opinion is it looks borderline. I can see the cracks as I zoom in but compared to the others I've seen them really bad. Maybe wait a little while and retry?
Old 04-12-16, 10:20 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Thanks for the pics. My opinion is it looks borderline. I can see the cracks as I zoom in but compared to the others I've seen them really bad. Maybe wait a little while and retry?
Either that and go to another dealer or call corporate. We are talking about an 80K plus car that is maybe 3 years old? I would think it wouldn't look that bad. Idk maybe it's just me.
Old 04-13-16, 04:22 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In your case, it might be worth applying Krytox, which I've learned is a great reconditioner, although very expensive.

DuPont Krytox GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE / PTFE No Additives, 0.5 oz Tube: Amazon.com: DuPont Krytox GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE / PTFE No Additives, 0.5 oz Tube: Amazon.com:

It not only reconditions but protects as well.
Old 04-13-16, 11:28 AM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

They replaced mine under warranty without even a blink. I think mine was slightly worse, however. I have pics in another thread.
Old 04-13-16, 11:49 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lexus replaced my entire sunroof "cartridge" under the original warranty in my 2013, albeit mine is low-miles for a 2013.

My cracking was substantially worse than yours, to the point where I thought it might start leaking water within a few years if left alone.

If you wait too long to escalate with the dealership, before you know it you'll be out of warranty, and that's when the sunroof will REALLY deteriorate.

Just my thoughts.
The following users liked this post:
timinfla2 (11-11-17)
Old 04-14-16, 07:25 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine was also significantly worse than that, but mine got covered under my glass coverage on my insurance due to a rock flying up on the highway and hitting the glass.
Old 04-14-16, 07:13 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

This is something that will only get worse with age that will eventually start leaking and could become a safety issue in the event of a roll over. I suggest that you call Lexus and get this on record and complain about the dealer. This "dealer" deserves a spanking from Corporate for NOT replacing the "cartridge" on a "high end luxury" car like the LS...... I would bet KIA or Hyundai would replace a failing rubber on their cheap POS low end cars.
I would refrain from trying to condition the rubber for now because Lexus may say that you did harm to the rubber by applying the "wrong conditioner"...... A BS excuse to deny replacing the rubber.

BTW! If you fail with Lexus I suggest parking near a miniature golf course, base ball or lacrosse field on a Saturday....... Just make sure you leave the roof closed.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 04-15-16 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-15-16, 10:35 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
This is something that will only get worse with age that will eventually start leaking and could become a safety issue in the event of a roll over. I suggest that you call Lexus and get this on record and complain about the dealer. This "dealer" deserves a spanking from Corporate for NOT replacing the "cartridge" on a "high end luxury" car like the LS...... I would bet KIA or Hyundai would replace a failing rubber on their cheap POS low end cars.
I would refrain from trying to condition the rubber for now because Lexus may say that you did harm to the rubber by applying the "wrong conditioner"...... A BS excuse to deny replacing the rubber.

BTW! If you fail with Lexus I suggest parking near a miniature golf course, base ball or lacrosse field on a Saturday....... Just make sure you leave the roof closed.
LOL thanks for the info. I've been slammed with work but going to call corporate on Monday.
Old 04-15-16, 08:37 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
This "dealer" deserves a spanking from Corporate for NOT replacing the "cartridge" on a "high end luxury" car like the LS.
Frankly, my experience dealing with "corporate" has been abysmal. I think, as a rule, you are better off developing a good relationship with the dealer and if they don't come through for you, another might.

Quick Reply: Dealer denied replacing Sunroof rubber surround under warranty