LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Will my LS be totalled

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 08:46 AM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
man that sucks. looks like it was really clean too. id like to touch on the cell phone note, people really do need to get there damn nose out of there damn phones on the road. I was about a centimeter away from getting sideswiped by a van last night driving home from work cause guess what they were doing? facebooking on there phone not paying attention to the road and giggling. don't think they even noticed me till a mile further down the road. man I was pissed. when I finally got her attention she looked at me like I did something wrong. ****ing goddamn dumbass!!
I hear ya man!

Pisses me off too when I see low IQ morron's doing that.

Handheld computers (aka cell phones) are this generation's worst ever invention. It's not only turned roads into death trap obstacle courses but it's also altered your average 11-40 yr old's mental make up.

Just think about what you see anywhere and everywhere you go: People with their heads down....looking at that f'in screen. It's easy to be an introvert non-social these days.... just walk around with your head down... and you thumbs pointed up
Old 03-21-17, 10:36 AM
alisurti
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It was totaled by the insurance company

So it was totaled by the insurance company since the estimate was around 17k to fix it. Besides the exterior damage the satellite radio receiver and the amp were destroyed too.
Old 03-21-17, 10:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I hadn't seen this until now, was going to chime in and guess that it would be totaled.

Sorry man, on to the next one.
Old 03-21-17, 11:56 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I hadn't seen this until now, was going to chime in and guess that it would be totaled.

Sorry man, on to the next one.
Sorry as well, and hope no one was hurt. Brighter spot...begin the search for a 13+!
Old 03-21-17, 12:18 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by alisurti
So it was totaled by the insurance company since the estimate was around 17k to fix it. Besides the exterior damage the satellite radio receiver and the amp were destroyed too.
Well, an insurance company should have been able to get a "LKQ" (used) SAT receiver and amp pretty cheap. So I'm guessing the bodywork was the killer. You should be able to get retail from the insurance company to replace the car.
Old 03-21-17, 01:47 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

The only reason I have an LS is the insurance company totaled out my still completely driveable, 100% legal, A/C worked just fine, 2005 Cadillac STS V8.

This is what it looked like:

I figured a new radiator support/hood/grille/bumper cover, and she'd be good.

Nope!

I drove that car home, in the dark, all was fine. That's 30 miles. Then another 50 to the insurance company's main adjuster office and back. And yet an additional 15 to the body shop I trusted to fix it, and the insurance company totaled her.

Broken headlamp housings did it in. $1,150 EACH!

I should have volunteered to pooky the broken/cracked parts, as I really did like that car.

Granted, I like my '08 LS 460 L more, but the STS was effectively paid for.

A big part of me very seriously considered removing the hood and the grille, then rocking it Road Warrior style, with no f***s to give.

However, I have to maintain a certain standard at work, and I'd never hear the end of it.

Your LS was hit in a "bad" spot...like there are any good ones...wherein it's not as if a body panel can be easily/inexpensively replaced...like a hood/door/bootlid. The rear quarter panel is always expensive, and that one isn't likely to straighten out. Plus, she's an '09.

Personally, I'd start shopping her replacement, sad though it may seem.

edit: Just reviewed the entire thread, sorry man. Yeah, $17K of damage will certainly do it on a car they figure is worth maybe $23K.

Remember, insurance companies aren't there for your benefit, they exist to make money for themselves...period.

Last edited by mckellyb; 03-21-17 at 01:49 PM. Reason: read the entire thread...duh....
Old 03-21-17, 02:37 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
The only reason I have an LS is the insurance company totaled out my still completely driveable, 100% legal, A/C worked just fine, 2005 Cadillac STS V8.
This is what it looked like:
Ok, Mckellyb, come clean now. You weren't texting and driving, were you ??? Good to know you weren't hurt. Just curious, could you have looked into getting salvaged (reconditioned) headlamp housings to keep the repair costs down? Of course, you would then not be driving your beloved 460L...

To the OP, thanks for the update. This accident happened just over a year ago. Glad to know you came thru OK. Did you get yourself another LS?
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You can choose to buy the car back and make those repairs but you'd wind up with a salvage title. Remember Greg and his curb hit, that minor and it totaled it. One of the worries driving older cars unfortunately, always one hit away from it being lost.
mckellyb (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 02:52 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Ok, Mckellyb, come clean now. You weren't texting and driving, were you ??? Good to know you weren't hurt. Just curious, could you have looked into getting salvaged (reconditioned) headlamp housings to keep the repair costs down? Of course, you would then not be driving your beloved 460L...

To the OP, thanks for the update. This accident happened just over a year ago. Glad to know you came thru OK. Did you get yourself another LS?

Actually, after I exited the freeway at the exit I have for the last six years, I found my ID badge, which I need to even access the facility's parking lot, fell in between the passenger's seat and the console.

The other time this happened, it took me a good ten minutes of digging and seat moving to get to it, but I had my fingers on it.

Of course, this is a distraction....

/facepalm

WHAM!

I should have considered/mentioned salvage/reconditioned housings, but it had dragged on for a few weeks at this point, and I just wanted the whole thing to be over.

Plus, 460 L!

8->
Old 03-22-17, 10:09 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

mckellyb, Consider yourself lucky you got out of that North* before it popped a head gasket. The failure rate of Northstar head gaskets is astronomical, and the various fixes are not very reliable against a repeat failure - because it is a basic cylinder block design flaw. GM gave up on diecast Aluminum blocks after this engine. But somehow, Lexus has never had a problem making a diecast Aluminum block....hmmmm.
Old 03-22-17, 10:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tec80
mckellyb, Consider yourself lucky you got out of that North* before it popped a head gasket. The failure rate of Northstar head gaskets is astronomical, and the various fixes are not very reliable against a repeat failure - because it is a basic cylinder block design flaw. GM gave up on diecast Aluminum blocks after this engine. But somehow, Lexus has never had a problem making a diecast Aluminum block....hmmmm.
That STS didn't have the Northstar associated with those gasket failures. That Northstar was used between 1993-1997 in FWD Sevilles, Eldorados and Devilles. .

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-22-17 at 10:44 AM.
mckellyb (03-22-17)
Old 03-22-17, 04:27 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by alisurti
Sorry to hear about it, even though the damage to your LS was not too bad I would have said it likely will be totaled based on my recent experience. I am dealing with the same thing with my GS. Rear ended in the rain, damage to my car did not look bad at all, still perfectly drive able, drives like it always has, no air bags went off, only rear bumper damaged though not crumpled or pushed in, my wheel well area was damaged though, right exhaust/and piping damaged but I think the muffler could have been repaired. I never thought it would be totaled by looking at it or driving it but the insurance company totaled it based on the "value"(which is a good deal lower then other cars with my color and mileage are going for around me) of the car. Even though I am totally not at fault and have a witness the insurance company is giving me a low valuation despite my GS being in great condition with low miles so it is going to end up costing me a good deal more money and a lot of traveling to try to get about the same color/mileage which are extremely hard to find.

I saw the accident coming too, I looked in the mirror and saw a car closing in way too fast to be able to stop from hitting me, I had a vehicle stopped in front of me making a turn so I could not floor it so I laid on the horn and cut the wheel toward the right grassy area to avoid being knocked into oncoming traffic. I don't know if the lady was doing something on her cell phone or trying to light a cigarette but I don't think she even hit her brakes, I heard nothing nor did I see any skid marks. Her car looked totaled and was non drivable, front smashed up, hood folded, her drivers air bag went off.

That was the second accident in 2 years where someone hit me that I could not avoid, one I did not even see, causing significant damage and I am constantly having to dodge inattentive/distracted/poor drivers more and more to avoid accidents in the past few years.

No way am I getting a newer vehicle or spending too much with so what I have been experiencing and dealing with low valuations from insurance company though I still want a nice car, most likely a Lexus again, I will just get a older one with more miles at a lower cost and keep it as long as I can again.