LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need advice on price

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-16, 08:08 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orys
Really? Is the air suspension prone to breaking down? How expensive are these to repair? I had a Mercedes S63 in the past with it - those are complicated systems but in a Lexus I was hoping they are bullet proof..
No air suspension is bullet proof. I would say lexus design is just as good as any out there. But you have to understand the life cycle of a suspension. air or not, the life is 60,000 approxately. Miles after that are bonus miles as the moving parts begin to fail. Failing air suspension parts are more noticeable than non. Many people have an opinion on this as you can search many topics. I wouldn't expect 100,000 miles of trouble free air suspension. Nor was was it designed to perform that long.
Old 01-07-16, 08:10 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

So basically, the extended warranty would pay for itself if it covers this failure?
Old 01-07-16, 08:20 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

So basically, the extended warranty would pay for itself if it covers this failure?
Hard to say. Many think that way. Others disagree. The choice is yours to choose what's best for you. Yes the parts are expensive. Some will tell you don't waste your money because you can get parts have install done for a few hundred dollars, maybe a bit more. And then There are other who will tell you to get a warrant because the price to fix a corner was over $1,000 or even more than the cost of the warranty. The crazy thing is both parties are right.
You can have the same repair and some people will have it done for $500 while other will have the job done for $2,000.
This choice is yours. Do what you are comfortable doing.
Ihave a warranty. The next guy to chime in will tell you to not spend the money and just put it in the bank just in case you need it.
Old 01-07-16, 08:24 PM
orys
Pit Crew

It's funny - one of the main reasons I want the Ls 460 is the bulletproof reliability. If I need to spend 3K extra on top of what is already a hefty some for a pre owned car, it seems to sort of defeat the purpose. On the other hand, if this is considered the most hefty repair for the LS, it truly pales in comparison to the german cars.
Old 01-07-16, 08:39 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

The LS has very strong build quality and reliability. But there are a few components that are know to be weaker than expected. But if you compare this car to it's competitors, very solid. And the price of the parts, they sure do cost a lot. But that is all relative. $75000 LS has a $3000 repair or a $25000 honda has a $1000 repair. Kind of same thing.
If you want a ultra luxury car and money is no option, the competition has advance further. If you weigh reliability into the equation, not many do it better, and not a this price for what you get.

It sounds like you already have experienced German luxury and what owner means $
Old 01-07-16, 09:10 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

It's funny - one of the main reasons I want the Ls 460 is the bulletproof reliability. If I need to spend 3K extra on top of what is already a hefty some for a pre owned car, it seems to sort of defeat the purpose. On the other hand, if this is considered the most hefty repair for the LS, it truly pales in comparison to the german cars.
All high end vehicles have reliability issues. They are complex and full of electronic equipment that may fail. The 460 is no exception. As a former BMW, Audi, and MB owner the LS 460 is definitely the most reliability vehicles I have ever owned. I decided to purchase the extended warranty for $1500 and I'm so thankful I did because it paid over $8000 in repairs. Example, 2 air shocks, amp, subwoofer, folding mirror, etc. Air shocks maybe but I didn't expect the other features to fail. My 460 have never fail to start or left me stranded. It isn't bulletproof and parts do fail.
Old 01-08-16, 06:50 AM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
All high end vehicles have reliability issues. They are complex and full of electronic equipment that may fail. The 460 is no exception. As a former BMW, Audi, and MB owner the LS 460 is definitely the most reliability vehicles I have ever owned. I decided to purchase the extended warranty for $1500 and I'm so thankful I did because it paid over $8000 in repairs. Example, 2 air shocks, amp, subwoofer, folding mirror, etc. Air shocks maybe but I didn't expect the other features to fail. My 460 have never fail to start or left me stranded. It isn't bulletproof and parts do fail.
This is really great info that puts things in perspective. After hearing so many stories by fanatic Lexus fans of cars running trouble free for well over 100k, it's important to keep in mind that in an 80K car, things WILL wear out and it's usually not engine/transmission parts. If I find the right car, I will try and get a warranty.
Old 01-08-16, 07:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,867 Posts

I'm not a used car person, but if I were and I found the car I wanted in the trim I wanted with low miles, that had been well cared for and was in great shape...that would be worth a couple extra thousand bucks.

You're looking for a rare car in the sport model, if this one checks the boxes and the guy won't budge, I'd pay him.
Old 01-08-16, 11:16 AM
Unsober1
Pole Position

I agree with you Steve. If budget is the top limiting factory on your car purchase, you are buying the wrong class of car. Limited production, options, and therefore availability is limited . Standard pricing is for ballpark estimates. The "one" a person is looking for could be limited to only a few hundred. And then how many of those are for sale? If it were me, I wouldn't be afraid to pay up to 10% over book for the right car. Remember, the book value usually doesn't know or factor in all the options a car has. Ultra luxury cars can have ten of thousands in options easy.
Old 01-08-16, 09:40 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Unsober1
I agree with you Steve. If budget is the top limiting factory on your car purchase, you are buying the wrong class of car. Limited production, options, and therefore availability is limited . Standard pricing is for ballpark estimates. The "one" a person is looking for could be limited to only a few hundred. And then how many of those are for sale? If it were me, I wouldn't be afraid to pay up to 10% over book for the right car. Remember, the book value usually doesn't know or factor in all the options a car has. Ultra luxury cars can have ten of thousands in options easy.
You make a good point. And I think the car owner knows that. They are sticking to their guns at 33K...I am doing a pre purchase inspection on Monday.
Old 01-08-16, 09:51 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Don't forget to go to the lexus drivers website. Get some background info on the car then you can ask questions if you find any concerns.
Old 01-09-16, 04:20 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

You are buying a reliable car it's just that a high end model LS has systems that are complicated and may fail. The air suspension systems - like any others - will develop leaks at the shocks, and to replace an air shock is expensive. Also the stereo system has an amp that is somewhat prone to failure...another expensive repair. The design of this suspension system places a lot of stress on the control arms, and they fail, but the 2011's have had their control arms redesigned, but only time will tell if the situation has been repaired.

Other than that you are buying a LS that has been updated/refreshed, all the "problems" associated with the earlier models should be gone...which means you might be driving one of the most reliable high end luxury cars in the world. The drive trane on these things are basically bullet proof as long as you perform routine maintenance. And as far as check engine lights and electrical failures, I have experienced none of those (thank God) since I've owned mine, and I own an 07 (supposedly the worst year to own one). The car is 9 years old and has 116,000 miles on it and it's never had a check engine light go on.

A 2011 LS with 40k miles should be pretty reliable, and if you do your homework, find yourself a reliable independent shop, buy aftermarket parts...I think you might be ok without a warranty. Having said that, I wouldn't buy a high end LS - I would stay away from an air suspension vehicle - and I wouldn't pay top dollar for a used LS, there are other options out there. If I was going to pay 33k plus for an LS, I would search and wait to find a 2013 refreshed LS. The interiors are nicer, and it looks a little more modern.
Old 01-09-16, 06:12 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

When I was looking at 1990 to 1993 silver LS400s in 1999 there were 4 available within 50 miles of me. I checked out all 4 and made mental notes. I discussed them with my wife and she said buy the best one in my eyes because you will have it a long time and the dollars won't matter. There was one that stood out and it was almost 3k higher than the rest after negotiating. I ponied up and of course she was right because for 16 years I had the nicest car I could find. It was almost identical when I sold it.
Old 01-09-16, 07:26 AM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Doublebase
You are buying a reliable car it's just that a high end model LS has systems that are complicated and may fail. The air suspension systems - like any others - will develop leaks at the shocks, and to replace an air shock is expensive. Also the stereo system has an amp that is somewhat prone to failure...another expensive repair. The design of this suspension system places a lot of stress on the control arms, and they fail, but the 2011's have had their control arms redesigned, but only time will tell if the situation has been repaired.

Other than that you are buying a LS that has been updated/refreshed, all the "problems" associated with the earlier models should be gone...which means you might be driving one of the most reliable high end luxury cars in the world. The drive trane on these things are basically bullet proof as long as you perform routine maintenance. And as far as check engine lights and electrical failures, I have experienced none of those (thank God) since I've owned mine, and I own an 07 (supposedly the worst year to own one). The car is 9 years old and has 116,000 miles on it and it's never had a check engine light go on.

A 2011 LS with 40k miles should be pretty reliable, and if you do your homework, find yourself a reliable independent shop, buy aftermarket parts...I think you might be ok without a warranty. Having said that, I wouldn't buy a high end LS - I would stay away from an air suspension vehicle - and I wouldn't pay top dollar for a used LS, there are other options out there. If I was going to pay 33k plus for an LS, I would search and wait to find a 2013 refreshed LS. The interiors are nicer, and it looks a little more modern.
Thanks for the advice re the reliability and the suspension. I am set on getting the sport package though so I will just have to take my chances or get the warranty. Not sure if I agree with you re pricing and model year. The 2011s have reached a good place in the depreciation curve and I prefer to buy pre owned cars in that 'sweet spot'. Sure, it will continue to depreciate, but it already taken the big hit, so to speak. The 13s are super nice (sans the grill) and the interior is definitely a step up. But, they are still selling for an average of 45K at the auctions. That is a totally different price bracket.
Old 01-09-16, 07:29 AM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
When I was looking at 1990 to 1993 silver LS400s in 1999 there were 4 available within 50 miles of me. I checked out all 4 and made mental notes. I discussed them with my wife and she said buy the best one in my eyes because you will have it a long time and the dollars won't matter. There was one that stood out and it was almost 3k higher than the rest after negotiating. I ponied up and of course she was right because for 16 years I had the nicest car I could find. It was almost identical when I sold it.
My thoughts exactly. You may save 2K now but you will pay later..

Quick Reply: Need advice on price