LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

OE Air Suspension Life

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 03:27 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
are you saying that seats, console, rear shelf, etc all have to come out just to replace non-air shocks????
Yep. When I said console, I meant rear arm rest. All just to get at the shock tower mounting bolts.
Old 09-24-15, 04:37 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I seee that could cost a grip of cash for non air suspension guys as well. I have never attempted this type of work, an I just may never. I think when the times comes, I'll do what I do best, and then pay someone to do what they do best.
Old 09-24-15, 04:51 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Alldatadiy quotes it as 4.6 hrs to do both rear shocks. It's not a difficult job.....just time consuming. The fronts are technically more involved but labour is only 3.5 hrs.
Old 09-24-15, 07:00 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

1) As I noted, Suncore is out of business. Or, if they are in business, no one can contact them so that's pretty much the same as not being in business.

2) A strut that fails at 50K is a poor design. My 4 previous Lexus's all had struts and I drove them all to 90K+ miles and never had a problem. Same for my Honda Accord and all 3 of my company-issued Ford Tuaruses.

3) I can accept a strut needing replacement at 50K miles....but not when they cost $1000 each, plus labor. That's what is called 'gouging' or, if you speak Japanese, 'screwing the customer'. If the best Lexus can do is 50K on a strut, make them available for a few hundred bucks. They're not a complex item. Air bags are cheap and we see normal struts sold for $100 all day long.
Old 09-24-15, 07:20 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/SUN...uspension.html

Did you try to contact them? I'm sure they're in business they have an eBay listing.
All modern shocks go bad at a mileage that most consumers are not aware of. Anyone can drive on bad struts and not notice. This is a high-end car, if you're not willing to pay then it's better to get out of the game to something more affordable. There's a good reason why I didn't want the air suspension because I did my research before purchasing. When it comes time to replace my struts it's only going to run me $120 per side which is more than affordable. There's no refuse with the other brands that use air suspension.

Last edited by Devh; 09-24-15 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-25-15, 05:07 AM
gte819s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God I do not look forward to doing this when the time comes.
Old 09-25-15, 07:58 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

And it looks like KYB is the only game in town if you want aftermarket.

Best price I found is $106 for the front and $116 for the rear (each) with free shipping.

KYB Gas-A-Just
Old 09-25-15, 08:15 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
And it looks like KYB is the only game in town if you want aftermarket.

Best price I found is $106 for the front and $116 for the rear (each) with free shipping.

KYB Gas-A-Just
I don't think it's aftermarket. My other Toyotas had KYB as the OEM manufacture of the struts.
I'm sure of you go to the dealer you can just quadruple those figures for the same cartridge.
Old 09-25-15, 08:23 AM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I don't think it's aftermarket. My other Toyotas had KYB as the OEM manufacture of the struts.
I'm sure of you go to the dealer you can just quadruple those figures for the same cartridge.
Toyota / Lexus use KYB and Tokico as stock suspension.
Old 09-25-15, 08:28 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

On my 430, KYB is the OEM air manufacturer. One air-shock started leaking around 80k miles and was replaced. The other 3 have over 140k miles and are still fine.
Old 09-25-15, 08:36 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

By "aftermarket" I was referring to non-dealer item. As for Tokico, I tried them and they don't list any shocks for any Lexus product.
Old 09-25-15, 09:12 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Some years ago, I verified with the vendor the KYB non air shocks sold at places like Tirerack are NOT OEMs. The specs are ever so slightly different. Most users feel that KYB shocks sold aftermarket felt slightly firmer and less "cushy." Whatever each person's preference may be, it was definitely not the same feel as OEMs. I also think selling something as OEM and something as OEM replacements have different legal meanings.

I have 240K miles on my car. Obviously I've been through various parts research..... I just want to make sure I understand everything about my next purchase which may be the 2012 LS which could be L version, Sport Pkg or the SWB plain jane version.
Old 09-25-15, 09:13 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
By "aftermarket" I was referring to non-dealer item. As for Tokico, I tried them and they don't list any shocks for any Lexus product.
Right gotcha. It's good to know there is an aftermarket and plenty of salvage cross compatibility for this car.
Old 09-25-15, 09:17 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Some years ago, I verified with the vendor the KYB non air shocks sold at places like Tirerack are NOT OEMs. The specs are ever so slightly different. Most users feel that KYB shocks sold aftermarket felt slightly firmer and less "cushy." Whatever each person's preference may be, it was definitely not the same feel as OEMs. I also think selling something as OEM and something as OEM replacements have different legal meanings.
On some cars I have noticed that KYB will sell two different versions of the shocks. One will be listed as some sort of slightly enhanced version. I have had other forum members for my other car purchased the better versions and noticed the same thing. The ones that purchased the regular KYBs felt they were exactly the same as what came with the car.
Old 09-25-15, 09:36 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

On some cars I have noticed that KYB will sell two different versions of the shocks. One will be listed as some sort of slightly enhanced version. I have had other forum members for my other car purchased the better versions and noticed the same thing. The ones that purchased the regular KYBs felt they were exactly the same as what came with the car.
Correct. One is sold as "Excel-G" and the other as "Gas-A-Just", For my 2008, KYB only lists Gas-A-Just. I think some other model years use the Excel-G.

Quick Reply: OE Air Suspension Life