LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

OE Air Suspension Life

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 08:56 AM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've hear the Jaguar systems are also nightmares.

But really....why does a normal strut last over 100K miles on a Toyota but they can't get an air strut to last on a Lexus?
On my car, it's not the air bag that is failing, it is the hydraulic strut portion. Just poor quality/design.

And air bags themselves are famously rugged....just look under all the 18 wheelers and box trucks that uses air bags for many hundreds of thousand miles.
Old 09-23-15, 08:59 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCon
Suncore clearly seems to be defunct, or at least something shady is going on to the point I'm not going to deal with them (that is, if they ever answered their phone).

What interests me is knowing just why an air car can't be fitted with 'standard' LS460 struts. Did Lexus modify the car's frame or suspension control arms such that they don't fit?

While I think I like the air suspension (I have never driven a non-air LS 460 to compare it to), I get pretty upset with any product I buy that is unreliable - especially on Lexus' top of the line car. The rear of my car needs its third set of struts after just 98,000 miles. If I drove the car, I could maybe see that. But I am the guy who avoids potholes and rough pavement like the plague and creeps over speed bumps. I don't hit curbs. I don't drive hard in any manner.

Even that wouldn't bother me if there were reasonably priced repair alternatives. But at $1K per corner (if you shop around enough) it's just an example of poor behavior.

I'm currently not convinced there are any 'conversion kits' available. If anyone is selling one (and can actually deliver it to my door) I don't know who.
To my knowledge you can easily convert a air suspension to a non air suspension. There is a company that sells you all four struts. This would be the way to go. You should also realize that air struts failing prematurely is an industry thing not limited to Lexus. I imagine that if Lexus didn't offer air struts because of long term reliability concerns they would be criticized by the automotive press for being behind the times because reliability of the make is not their concern anymore, it 's about the latest and greatest unreliable piece of technology for those that lease.
Old 09-23-15, 09:05 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by GregCon
I've hear the Jaguar systems are also nightmares.

But really....why does a normal strut last over 100K miles on a Toyota but they can't get an air strut to last on a Lexus?
On my car, it's not the air bag that is failing, it is the hydraulic strut portion. Just poor quality/design.

And air bags themselves are famously rugged....just look under all the 18 wheelers and box trucks that uses air bags for many hundreds of thousand miles.
You are right however it's not because of poor quality design, it's because it's a monotube strut.
A twin tube strut last longer and progressively go bad (non air) because of design but it lacks some of the performance characteristics of a monotube.
Old 09-23-15, 11:36 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
To my knowledge you can easily convert a air suspension to a non air suspension. There is a company that sells you all four struts. This would be the way to go. You should also realize that air struts failing prematurely is an industry thing not limited to Lexus. I imagine that if Lexus didn't offer air struts because of long term reliability concerns they would be criticized by the automotive press for being behind the times because reliability of the make is not their concern anymore, it 's about the latest and greatest unreliable piece of technology for those that lease.
Can you share the name of the company that sells direct replacement for the LS air struts? Thank you.
Old 09-23-15, 12:41 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Can you share the name of the company that sells direct replacement for the LS air struts? Thank you.
Try here.
http://www.suncoreindustries.com/lex...suspension.php

If you are adventurous you could save a tremendous amount of money by making inquiries at salvage yards for a low millage used struts. The risk here is you may not get all four because the car would have probably been hit hard enough to damage one or two. If you can source fronts and rears from different cars with around the same millage that is the way to go.
If you end up with one damaged strut the cartridge is only $120. Worth the risk in my opinion if you know what you are doing.

Last edited by Devh; 09-23-15 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-23-15, 12:54 PM
Devh
Racer

One more thing I forgot to mention. You can sell your existing good Air suspension struts to finance a good amount of the conversion.

Last edited by Devh; 09-23-15 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-23-15, 05:54 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I bought an non air suspension car. My second LS car. Never had air before on any car. But I have replaced shocks and struts on cars before. Most manufactures say the life of standard shocks and struts are to be replaced at 50,000. Sure they can last longer, but not perform the same as new. So why do people expect the air suspension to last longer than conventional suspension. I don't think they fail due to poor design, I think they are just at the end of their life cycle. Let's here it guys. Am I wrong ??

Last edited by Unsober1; 09-23-15 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Mis spelling
The following users liked this post:
Ogun360 (05-17-21)
Old 09-23-15, 06:33 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Unsober1
So I bought an non air suspension car. My second LS car. Never had air before on any car. But I have replaced shocks and struts on cars before. Most manufactures say the life of standard shocks and struts are to be replaced at 50,000. Sure they can last longer, but not perform the same is new. So why are so why do people expect the air suspension to last long than conventional suspension. I don't think they fail due to poor design, I think they are just at the end of their life cycle. Let's here it guys. Am I wrong ??
You are right in that most all struts are rated to 50-60K miles of peak performance. After that they decline, however it's progressive and not noticeable to most especially on luxury cars that have lots of compliance.
The problem with air struts or mono tube design is that they can fail unpredictably and you will notice it.
Old 09-23-15, 07:14 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so I get that the progressive decline gives owners a false sense that everything is fine and will last forever. But the design is built to only last only so many miles. Air suspension or not, it's the end of the designed life and replacement is expected. It is not a design flaw. We buy tires that are designed to last 60,000 miles. If you had those tires on your car for 100,000 miles, would you say they are bad design or poor quality ? They did what they were designed to do, everything after its design life cycle is just a bonus. Believe it or not guys, shock and struts, as well as air suspension parts are designed to wear out. It is part of the maintaince. If you can't afford sending $4000 on suspension every 100,000. It hurts to say this, Then maybe you shouldn't have bought such an expensive car. Now the guys that bought the car new and the parts are going out early, that what the factory warranty should cover. SHAME ON YOU LEXUS.
Old 09-23-15, 10:55 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Unsober1
Ok so I get that the progressive decline gives owners a false sense that everything is fine and will last forever. But the design is built to only last only so many miles. Air suspension or not, it's the end of the designed life and replacement is expected. It is not a design flaw. We buy tires that are designed to last 60,000 miles. If you had those tires on your car for 100,000 miles, would you say they are bad design or poor quality ? They did what they were designed to do, everything after its design life cycle is just a bonus. Believe it or not guys, shock and struts, as well as air suspension parts are designed to wear out. It is part of the maintaince. If you can't afford sending $4000 on suspension every 100,000. It hurts to say this, Then maybe you shouldn't have bought such an expensive car. Now the guys that bought the car new and the parts are going out early, that what the factory warranty should cover. SHAME ON YOU LEXUS.
Air suspensions do wear out and fail like most moving parts. Some manufactures quicker than others, expensive or not. The air suspension shocks fail on a Lincoln, two Caddies, '03 MB (horrible, regularly and expensive) I previously owned. A good reason why many buyers avoid the air suspension. I've replaced one shock on my LS and its the best air suspension by far. I agree Lexus could do better along with the other manufactures. They have improved everything from better efficiency to vehicles that can automatically brake and almost drive itself. So why not a air suspension system that's good for ten years instead for only a few. Shame on them all.
Old 09-24-15, 09:49 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

All good points. I'm currently at about 90k miles on my LS with NON air suspension. Have been debating on whether to replace my shocks/struts with KYB's from Ebay. Car rides great, but as some have stated, the decline in performance can be missed when it's gradual. At the risk of hijacking this thread, have any of you replaced yours?
Old 09-24-15, 10:04 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
All good points. I'm currently at about 90k miles on my LS with NON air suspension. Have been debating on whether to replace my shocks/struts with KYB's from Ebay. Car rides great, but as some have stated, the decline in performance can be missed when it's gradual. At the risk of hijacking this thread, have any of you replaced yours?
It is most probable that the KYB is the original manufacture of the struts. If removal of the strut does not involve removal of the control arms then it should be easy to remove and install the new cartridge if you have spring compressors. I don't like using spring compressors so I would just take them to a repair shop and have them do them for me on a strut machine. Then I would just reinstall them and take the car in for an alignment.
Old 09-24-15, 10:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
It is most probable that the KYB is the original manufacture of the struts. If removal of the strut does not involve removal of the control arms then it should be easy to remove and install the new cartridge if you have spring compressors. I don't like using spring compressors so I would just take them to a repair shop and have them do them for me on a strut machine. Then I would just reinstall them and take the car in for an alignment.
Unfortunatel, disconnecting the control arm and removal of the stab links is required for the front. As for the rears, that requires removing A LOT of the interior (seats, console, rear shelf, etc) to access the tops of the strut towers. Regardless, I will be doing it DIY. 3.4 hrs for front and 4.6 hrs for rear!! According to AllDataDiy
Old 09-24-15, 12:06 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Unfortunatel, disconnecting the control arm and removal of the stab links is required for the front. As for the rears, that requires removing A LOT of the interior (seats, console, rear shelf, etc) to access the tops of the strut towers. Regardless, I will be doing it DIY. 3.4 hrs for front and 4.6 hrs for rear!! According to AllDataDiy
I forgot about the back seat. I guess it's more then a chore.

Last edited by Devh; 09-24-15 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 03:12 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

are you saying that seats, console, rear shelf, etc all have to come out just to replace non-air shocks????

Quick Reply: OE Air Suspension Life