LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Spark knock during freeway passing maneuver

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-15, 08:19 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Spark knock during freeway passing maneuver

Even on 93 octane, I hear a burst of spark knock for a brief second when I go WOT at freeway speeds. Is this common?
Old 08-25-15, 08:34 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I've not heard this...
Old 08-25-15, 10:38 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
Even on 93 octane, I hear a burst of spark knock for a brief second when I go WOT at freeway speeds. Is this common?
First I've heard of this too.
Old 08-25-15, 11:30 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Next time this happens check to see if your check engine light is flashing.
Old 08-25-15, 03:32 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not sure what spark knock is, but every once in a while when I accelerate from between 0 and 20 to 60-80+ WOT, I'll get the flashing the check engine light and Check VSC message on the DIS. Everything ends up clearing up though once I come back down to around 20 mph.
Originally I had done a run from 60 to triple digits when the issue first surfaced. That time the lights stayed on and didn't turn off. I used Carista to clear the codes (I use cruise control all the time and with VSC not working, cruise control doesn't either). And now I have the lights sporadically show up. I'm not sure if I can reliably reproduce the symptoms since I don't do any hard accelerations anymore due to the flashing engine light which means that the engine is knocking and me wanting to prevent any further damage to the engine.
I'll definitely be having my dealer take a look into this on my next service which is due in the next 800 miles.
Old 08-25-15, 03:56 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would not wait til the 800 get it checked now before more damage if any is done.
Old 08-25-15, 04:38 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lextrician
i would not wait til the 800 get it checked now before more damage if any is done.
I would love to take it in right now, but I live 100 miles from the closest dealer and I've been pretty busy so making it there is a problem.
On the flip side, all my typical day to day driving is around town and less than 5 miles a day total so I never see the flashing light. I'll be setting up an appointment for one of these up coming weekends, though, to take it in.
Old 08-25-15, 06:55 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I'd say more info is needed here to figure what it is. You hear spark knock upon WOT? How can you hear anything on these cars? Windows down? And with this noise, is there a performance problem? Does it stumble or misfire?

As for flashing check engine lights, those are cat damaging warnings, which means raw fuel is being dumped into the cats where they'll heat up and actually melt the converter. It's the manufacturers way of telling you...this is a problem that will cost you a lot of money if you don't get it fixed. Usually it's a fuel injector or coil problem causing the fuel to go unburned in the cylinder.
Old 08-26-15, 11:54 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I'd say more info is needed here to figure what it is. You hear spark knock upon WOT? How can you hear anything on these cars? Windows down? And with this noise, is there a performance problem? Does it stumble or misfire?

As for flashing check engine lights, those are cat damaging warnings, which means raw fuel is being dumped into the cats where they'll heat up and actually melt the converter. It's the manufacturers way of telling you...this is a problem that will cost you a lot of money if you don't get it fixed. Usually it's a fuel injector or coil problem causing the fuel to go unburned in the cylinder.
In my case, I'm not sure about the OP, I hear nothing different. The car keeps on accelerating, it doesn't really feel any different. The check engine light will flash (VSC message will come up, traction and some other lights will come on also) and stop flashing once I'm done accelerating and then (at least the last time I did this) once I dropped to around 20mph every thing went back to normal. All lights went out.
I haven't done WOT since then and everything has been normal.
OP's case might be completely different.
Old 08-26-15, 02:04 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Windows up, punch it at 75 and it knocks briefly. No performance impact or check engine light. It has 54k and could use new plugs, so I'll try changing them next (without leaving any small fasteners laying on the rocker covers, of course ;-p).
Old 08-27-15, 11:03 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Knock sensors are there to prevent this, when "hear" knocking they adjust timing, fuel, air intake, etc to prevent it. Sounds like you have some kind of sensor malfunction Should be an easy fix after hooking it up to a scan tool.

If there is no Lexus dealership close to you, a Toyota dealer can do warranty work for you. I've done it.
Old 08-27-15, 04:51 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
In my case, I'm not sure about the OP, I hear nothing different. The car keeps on accelerating, it doesn't really feel any different. The check engine light will flash (VSC message will come up, traction and some other lights will come on also) and stop flashing once I'm done accelerating and then (at least the last time I did this) once I dropped to around 20mph every thing went back to normal. All lights went out.
I haven't done WOT since then and everything has been normal.
OP's case might be completely different.
How often does that happen? That's crazy, at first I was just thinking wheel speed sensor, or a wheel spinning at a different rate than the others, but the flashing check engine light?? It all doesn't add up together and usually these things are tied together.
Old 08-28-15, 07:23 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Doublebase
How often does that happen? That's crazy, at first I was just thinking wheel speed sensor, or a wheel spinning at a different rate than the others, but the flashing check engine light?? It all doesn't add up together and usually these things are tied together.
It hasn't happened in a while since I haven't done WOT.
Flashing engine light would suggest it's knocking under heaving acceleration but I'm not sure why VSC, traction control, and the other lights would come on.
Old 08-28-15, 08:08 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
It hasn't happened in a while since I haven't done WOT.
Flashing engine light would suggest it's knocking under heaving acceleration but I'm not sure why VSC, traction control, and the other lights would come on.
I would get your electrical system checked out. Voltage fluctuation especially with a failing regulator will cause all sorts of havoc. I had something similar in regard to idiot lights randomly coming on on my other car. It turns out that I blew the regulator by revving the engine higher then what the alternator was rated at.
Old 08-28-15, 08:27 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
I would get your electrical system checked out. Voltage fluctuation especially with a failing regulator will cause all sorts of havoc. I had something similar in regard to idiot lights randomly coming on on my other car. It turns out that I blew the regulator by revving the engine higher then what the alternator was rated at.
I'll be taking it in hopefully next week to get it looked at. But I can rev the car just fine without getting any lights. And I can do hard accelerations to 60mph without any issues.

Quick Reply: Spark knock during freeway passing maneuver