LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Homelink - losing my mind

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 06:32 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Homelink - losing my mind

I have a new Homelink capable garage door opener - a Chamberlain. It's about 3 weeks old.

I cannot get the LS460's homelink to work with it. Had no problems with the IS F or my wife's 2011 Sienna.

I have tried both methods in the manual (regular and "rolling code") as well as what I've found on here, which is:

SEQUENCE I

1. No need to have engine running. Homelink is always active on Lexus cars.

2. Clear/reset the Lexus Homelink by depressing buttons 1 & 3 for 20 seconds.

3. Hold the Chamberlain remote within three inches from the LS Homelink keypad.

4. Depress and hold the desired Homelink button 1, 2 or 3. LED turns on steadily.

5. Depress and hold the Chamberlain remote keypad until the Homelink LED begins to flash rapidly. Release both.

>>>>>Here's where I'm having trouble; my homelink never "flashes rapidly" no matter how long I hold it. It's steady on in the beginning and then a slow steady blink. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

SEQUENCE II

6. Exit car and access the door opener's "Learn" button. Briefly depress the "Learn" button until its LED turns on.

7. Within the allotted 30 second period, return to the car and depress the chosen keypad button briefly one time.

The opener's lights will flash confirming the pairing of the garage door opener, and the car's Homelink.
Old 07-16-14, 06:46 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not getting the "fast flash" when holding your chamberlain and homelink buttons simultaneously, this means the opener is not even programming to the homelink. No matter what you do it will not program unless you get this to flash fast. After you clear the unit by holding buttons 1 and 3, I have always had better luck just pressing the homelink button and the chamberlain remote buttons right away, not waiting for a solid light on the homelink before depressing the chamberlain button. It sound to me like the battery charge in your chamberlain remote is not quite high enough. (I know you are thinking I'm crazy because it has enough power to open and close your garage door) however, the batteries in the handheld remote must be in tip top shape to transmit enough signal for the homelink system to learn their code. Do you have more than one chamberlain garage door at your house? You can probably learn the chamberlain remote from your other door (door 2) to the homelink button you originally wanted, then proceed with the learn button while parked in front of (door 1) and it will probably trick the homelink unit. The thought is that both chamberlain remotes would operate on the same frequency, and the homelink unit would not be able to tell the difference from 1 remote to the other. Even a neighbors garage door remote can work sometimes.

Also when you move onto the last step with the learn button. After pressing the learn button, get back into the car and press the homelink button for 2 seconds, release for 1 seconds, press for 2 seconds release for 1 second. Repeat this until the door opens. This is the instructions for a Canadian manufactured opener, but I've found it works better than the U.S. instructions.
Old 07-16-14, 06:50 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

The information in this post may be helpful: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8370032-post31.html
Old 07-16-14, 06:59 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Ohh Boy I made a mistake. If your chamberlain is only 3 weeks old, chances are it won't program to any Homelink unit made before 2013.......^^^^^^^^^^^As this article points out, the garage door openers made after about December 2013 use a new frequency. A newer homelink will recognize the frequency, but the older units will not. I had a customer that had to call the garage door company and have a repeater module added to their garage door before the Homelink would recognize the code. They said the module was $50 plus the install fee and service call fee.
Old 07-16-14, 07:50 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

I finally got it to blink fast, but no dice. What's puzzling is I can program my wife's 2011 Sienna in about 10 seconds flat. Even erased all the codes and reset the Chamberlain and started over, still with no luck.

I can either pay $50 for the repeater or just attach the homelink to the passenger visor. I am calling homelink though first.
Old 07-16-14, 07:59 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Just called Homelink and they said it's not compatible with my garage door opener (2014 model) and I'd need a repeater to get it to work. They also said the repeater is free (I pay $7 to ship) so one is on the way.

Just glad I'm not nuts. I did ask the guy why my 2010 IS F and 2011 Sienna worked perfectly with it - he had no idea.
Old 07-16-14, 08:05 AM
Chuckwagon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What year is your 460? MY 2007 would not program to a new Liftmaster a couple months back. But the 2007 460 is on Homelink's list of vehicles eligible for a free repeater. I paid the shipping only, which was like $6 or so. It is certainly worth checking with Homelink to find out if you are eligible for the free unit.

The repeater did work, and I could program the car. But I had to have the repeater remote actually touching the panel in the car to get it to program, not the 1-3" away the instructions say.

Good luck,
Charles
Old 07-16-14, 08:12 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Good. That repeater should work. I wish I knew why some cars program so damn easy, and other cars are a gigantic struggle..
Old 07-16-14, 08:15 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Yep Chuck, the free repeater minus shipping costs is on the way.

Dead silence though when I asked why the 2011 Sienna and 2010 IS F *did* work though with the 2014 garage door opener.
Shrug.
Old 07-16-14, 12:12 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

When I programed my Overhead Garage Legacy version Opener Saturday I followed the same 2 steps. But in step 2 my Lexus instructions says hit the learn button Door Opener control pannel and then press and hold the Lexus remote button (1,2,3) which every one you are using for 2 seconds and release then hold a 2nd time for 2 seconds and release and if that does not take hold it a 3rd time for 2 seconds and release. Worked like a champ. Our DO has the rolling code as it did not work with just step 1.

Dennis
Old 07-16-14, 04:01 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Yes, I followed the instructions in the Lexus owner's manual too and it took 3 presses before the door closed. But there does seem to be some compatibility issue with the latest openers, or they wouldn't be providing a repeater free of charge. Just FYI, it's Lexus (Toyota) that are paying the $50 for the repeater on certain recent models. Don't know if other manufacturers are doing this also.

Last edited by sktn77a; 07-16-14 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 02:14 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Apparently there is an issue with the 07 LS home link antenna, Wringo had this problem and he had to program the remote from the rear of the car somewhere. Hopefully he rings in or just hit him up.
Old 07-22-14, 02:24 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Got the "free" repeater today - plugged it in and programmed the homelink on the first try; took about 30 seconds.

I think it's a magic combination between earlier 460 models and newer garage door openers. Works perfectly.
Old 07-22-14, 08:32 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky3
Got the "free" repeater today - plugged it in and programmed the homelink on the first try; took about 30 seconds.

I think it's a magic combination between earlier 460 models and newer garage door openers. Works perfectly.
That's good news. .this thread needs to be added to the FAQ/DIY mega thread for sure!!
Old 07-22-14, 10:13 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

has anyone been able to link their neighborhood gate to the home link? I got my garage opener to link up on the home link with ease, but as for the gate, the home link would not sync up to the gate fob. I've tried so many times with clearing the home link that i got tired of repeatedly llinking my garage door, that i eventually gave up. The light would not blink fast to accept the signal on the gate fob. anyone have any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Homelink - losing my mind