LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

trunk won't close

Old 06-26-14, 08:29 AM
whatisayut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk won't close

HI, my wife has a 2007 LS460. Some dummy at a big box store tied down the trunk to get a chair home by threading rope through the latch mechanism. Needless to say, the trunk will not close. Not with the button or manually. I tried the disconnect battery thing. Nothing. Here is a pic of the latch. I found a thread that said someone else this and the closer motor was jammed, but he never explained how he got it unjammed or if he had to replace the latch. The lid goes all the way down. Here are pics. (I closed the plastic piece on one of the pics). Any ideas?
**** - not sure if these photos will show up.

trunk won't close-photo.jpg

trunk won't close-photo-6-.jpg

trunk won't close-photo-4-.jpg
Old 06-26-14, 09:09 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Well if the battery disconnect trick didn't work, I don't have any other DIY solutions. Either take it to the dealer or a good auto body shop.
Old 06-27-14, 03:55 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If you place a screwdriver in the slot in the middle as if it was the bottom bar that it locks around, the mechanism should move around it like it is going to lock around the screwdriver. If that doesn't happen, I would look at it to see why not. It may be that it is locked already and needs to be released.
Old 06-27-14, 07:15 AM
whatisayut
Driver School Candidate

Default trunk won

Originally Posted by greg3852
If you place a screwdriver in the slot in the middle as if it was the bottom bar that it locks around, the mechanism should move around it like it is going to lock around the screwdriver. If that doesn't happen, I would look at it to see why not. It may be that it is locked already and needs to be released.
no, it doesn't wrap around it. It seems as though the motor that drives the latch is frozen/broken. Dealer looking at the pictures now. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-27-14, 09:57 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like its locked. There should be a way to unlock it with a screwdriver if you want to mess around with it.
Old 06-30-14, 03:13 AM
whatisayut
Driver School Candidate

Well thanks everyone. I hit the trunk oprn key on the fob and it beeped. Now when i press the clse button in the trunk the gears rotate so the motor isnt frozen. But it still doesnt close with button or manual. Seems the arm that wraps around the metal ring to lock it is disconnected from driver motor. Dealer picking it up today. They couldnt diagnose even with pics and videos. Have a great week
Old 06-30-14, 10:01 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Keep us updated. It may help someone else in the future.
Old 07-01-14, 06:36 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, please update with how it was fixed. Thanx
Old 07-30-14, 11:48 AM
whatisayut
Driver School Candidate

Well "it" was fixed by Lexus by replacing the entire latch kit mechanism for $ 980. After I got it back, my nephew (who is a mechanical engineer, but still) took a look at the old part (which I always insist on getting), and he told me the guy put the rope through the opening in the latch mechanism, and then slammed the door closed (or tried to). This bent a part (I hope you can see it in the pictures), which would not allow for the arm to close over the post. Total time for him to fix this part completely with just a flat head screwdriver - about 3 minutes. Including diagnostics. I am a lab geek, not real mechanical. I hope this can help someone in the future.

this is after my nephew bent the part (hard to see)

notice the arm now goes over easily and would lock if it was in place.
Old 07-30-14, 12:28 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Can't make out which part is bent in the pictures. Any chance you can draw arrows or lines on the pictures showing what exactly was bent?
Old 07-30-14, 05:37 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ughh...unless you're a Lexus tech, it's like we can tell what you're talking about from the picture.

Anyways, the take away is "if you have some thing big, rent a truck. It's cheaper than $980 and waste time at the dealership".. lol.
Old 08-04-14, 03:52 AM
whatisayut
Driver School Candidate

Sorry the pictures arent better. And i really am not sure now he did it so fast. It appeared to be something obviously bent and not able to slide. Lexus said our policy is to replace parts not fix them due ti liability. So yeah, dont let a dummy tie down anything for you or rent a truck
Old 08-04-14, 10:34 AM
PHOUND5
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It will be entertaining for us and frustrating for you try to get the Big Box Store to reimburse your for damages.

I use Zip Cars for moving that type of stuff or call for a wheelchair taxi - they are usually mini vans and have a lift.
Old 08-11-14, 06:23 AM
whatisayut
Driver School Candidate

Lexus said for liability reasons they have to replace parts rather than fix them. Otherwise i might come back and blame them if it happened again. Yeah, l think ill pass on trying ti get Loooooows to pay. Thanks all
Old 11-03-14, 08:49 PM
cmr3rd
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably should have browsed this forum first. Not sure if it was something I did when closing the trunk at the car wash, but the trunk popped up while driving down the road. Upon inspection, found that trunk latch was in a position that was impossible to latch. Motor also failed to bring trunk lid down. Wish I would have tried battery thing just for fun. Took and left with dealer. Gee, only $2000 to fix with new "trunk motor"! What a steal! I should ask about a gun rack in the back window while I'm there. Probably can install for only $20K. Feeling a little scammed at this point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trunk won't close