LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-14, 04:17 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
The silicone did well to renew the life of the rubber the window slides into. Mine had gotten stretched out of place and warped some because it had dried out. That's what it's designed to do on scuba gear...keep the rubber pliable. It also lubricated the tracks which allowed the window to fully seat up into the gasket (which it wasn't before).
I tried Armorall but it didn't help at all. Do you have a brand name for this scuba silicone grease? (I've used teflon grease for other purposes before but that's really nasty stuff - sticks like crazy and attracts dirt like a magnet!)
Old 06-10-14, 04:18 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
its covered as a TSIB but I dont see how you still have original factory warranty after 6 years
Extended factory warranty here in Oz ... They wouldn't cover it however and I paid for the parts but I don't care because it works
Old 06-10-14, 05:38 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I tried Armorall but it didn't help at all. Do you have a brand name for this scuba silicone grease? (I've used teflon grease for other purposes before but that's really nasty stuff - sticks like crazy and attracts dirt like a magnet!)
I think this is the kind I have and it came in a little 1/4 ounce container. It's essentially just O-ring grease. It's mild stuff and made for rubber.

All dive shops would carry it and you can find it online.

Amazon.com: McNett Aquaseal Brand Silicone Grease 1/4-Ounce: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: McNett Aquaseal Brand Silicone Grease 1/4-Ounce: Sports & Outdoors

Last edited by jbrittmart; 06-10-14 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-10-14, 06:51 PM
Tsmith1982
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
The silicone did well to renew the life of the rubber the window slides into. Mine had gotten stretched out of place and warped some because it had dried out. That's what it's designed to do on scuba gear...keep the rubber pliable. It also lubricated the tracks which allowed the window to fully seat up into the gasket (which it wasn't before). I find it's good to reapply the silicone every few months or so... it only takes a couple minutes so I usually do it after a washing.

But yeah, once I cleaned out the window track really well (mine had gotten pretty filthy) and then applied the grease in the track on the rubber pieces and the edge of the window... my car is like a vault. Like I said, I'll notice after a few months sometimes that I get some noise back... but when I reapply and the window slides slick and true it seats fully in the gasket and bingo... silence.
Before you applied this did you have to bump the window down? That's what I'm having to do to silence the wind noise along with craney fix. Wondering would applying this would it keep me from having to bump down window
Old 06-11-14, 06:56 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsmith1982
Before you applied this did you have to bump the window down? That's what I'm having to do to silence the wind noise along with craney fix. Wondering would applying this would it keep me from having to bump down window
That's what I had to do to get the noise to stop. The window was actually folding the outside rubber window seal. I just used some synthetic grease I had to try and lube up the track and what a difference it makes. My window seals perfect now, no more folding of the trim. I'll be keeping an eye on it, not sure if I'll still need new trim or not. I had let it go for a long time getting folded by the window. I am going to the local auto parts store and buying 3m silicone paste. After some research I found that's what's suggested.
Here is a link to exactly what I used. Works great, and looks like I won't have to replace my window rubber molding after all. http://m.napaonline.com/tablet//part...946_0006436593

Last edited by is150; 06-12-14 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-14-14, 01:01 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Good tips on cleaning the tracks and applying the silicone grease.

Will give it a try.

The triangle fix made no significant improvement for me.
Old 06-14-14, 04:03 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Default Wind noise

Originally Posted by RandyV
Good tips on cleaning the tracks and applying the silicone grease.

Will give it a try.

The triangle fix made no significant improvement for me.
Randy
When you say the triangle fix didn't work ... I take it you mean the mcraney fix with metal triangles and a whole pile of silicone ?? I don't believe that works or indeed is the major source of noise . If you put the current model LS triangular stabilizer fins on , your noise will stop .. I promise
Old 06-14-14, 05:09 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't have much wind noise. However, I put the new piece that has the raised triangle on. I cannot say if it fixed anything, BUT I didn't goop it up with any additional silicone or epoxy. It's very quiet in my car , and don't think I had the wind noise from the start, but I feel better that I upgraded the part for 34.00. I also don't have the folding up seal that some are puting the silicone.

I guess I didn't need the wing fix nor the mcraney fix, but I now have two cool looking wings by my mirrors!
AND
A quiet car!
Old 06-15-14, 07:55 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Anybody got a pic of this "folding seal" that appears to be a problem?
Old 06-15-14, 10:49 AM
Tsmith1982
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I'm curious as well. My car is silent if I bump the window down slightly. I wonder if this lubricant will fix that to where I don't have to bump it down?
Old 06-15-14, 11:25 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish I would have taken a picture of it folded before I applied the 3m silicone. But it's the vertical seal seen here of the front door. Still sort of see the crease. If it's folded some of the seal will be folded under the window, usually towards the top. Applying the silicone fixed my folded seal and cured my wind noise 100%.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows-image.jpg  

Last edited by is150; 06-15-14 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-15-14, 02:08 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Ah, OK, thanks. Mine looks pretty good. I'll still give the silicone a try.
Old 06-15-14, 10:31 PM
Trumpanche
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been mildly annoyed by the wind buffeting noises in my '07 since purchasing it a few weeks ago. I immediately replaced the original triangle trim pieces with some 2013 pieces from Sewell. They did not have any perceivable effect. Wind buffeting noise still creeps up starting around 50mph. Today I took a stab at cleaning up the window tracks and applying the 3M silicone paste. I did not have the folded trim problem and this did not affect the wind noise at all. In my car, bumping the window down a little bit creates wind noise as opposed to improving it. I am starting to think I may be chasing something unattainable, but I did not put silicone glue under the triangle trim, so perhaps that should be my next attempt. I'd really like to know what's different in the 2011/2012 models if they are supposedly problem free.

I should note that in my test drives, it is some sort of turbulence that creates the noise. I can drive south on a stretch of road at 55mph and there will be noise, but driving north on the same road at the same speed and there will be no noise. The noise increases in intensity and consistency at higher speeds and is fairly annoying at 80mph. Note also that I tend to perceive the buffeting noise as coming from the top of the glass as opposed to the front corner where the triangle trim piece is so I was suspecting possibly a window seal issue, but that could also just be how the turbulence hits the window/trim in that area? I'd really like to better understand a characterization of the type of noise the triangle trim mod is supposed to fix and how much wind buffeting noise I am expected to live with! I do not have the laminated glass but the car was out of warranty 45k miles ago and I hate the idea of them tearing it apart, paying $1400 and having it only knock down the noise level a couple of dB... :-/

Last edited by Trumpanche; 06-15-14 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-15-14, 11:28 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Default Noise fix

Originally Posted by Trumpanche
I've been mildly annoyed by the wind buffeting noises in my '07 since purchasing it a few weeks ago. I immediately replaced the original triangle trim pieces with some 2013 pieces from Sewell. They did not have any perceivable effect. Wind buffeting noise still creeps up starting around 50mph. Today I took a stab at cleaning up the window tracks and applying the 3M silicone paste. I did not have the folded trim problem and this did not affect the wind noise at all. In my car, bumping the window down a little bit creates wind noise as opposed to improving it. I am starting to think I may be chasing something unattainable, but I did not put silicone glue under the triangle trim, so perhaps that should be my next attempt. I'd really like to know what's different in the 2011/2012 models if they are supposedly problem free.

I should note that in my test drives, it is some sort of turbulence that creates the noise. I can drive south on a stretch of road at 55mph and there will be noise, but driving north on the same road at the same speed and there will be no noise. The noise increases in intensity and consistency at higher speeds and is fairly annoying at 80mph. Note also that I tend to perceive the buffeting noise as coming from the top of the glass as opposed to the front corner where the triangle trim piece is so I was suspecting possibly a window seal issue, but that could also just be how the turbulence hits the window/trim in that area? I'd really like to better understand a characterization of the type of noise the triangle trim mod is supposed to fix and how much wind buffeting noise I am expected to live with! I do not have the laminated glass but the car was out of warranty 45k miles ago and I hate the idea of them tearing it apart, paying $1400 and having it only knock down the noise level a couple of dB... :-/
Sorry you still having the problem ... Mine is virtually gone and I didn't use any sealant . I do get the noise very rarely and much less in an occasional cross wind or when on a bend for some reason .
The current cars are different only so far as having completely different shaped side mirrors and are silent in all the models I've driven . I don't think the window seals do anything and can't see how they could possibly be damaged . Silicon is only going to make the window perhaps go up and down a little easier but once there up does nothing .
I would try the goop behind your triangles first as everyone else seems to have the problem solved with the triangles alone .. Then maybe see what 2 new current spec mirrors cost
Good luck
Old 06-16-14, 02:11 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Go to Lowes Or Home Depot and buy you a wide roll of masking tape.

Apply the masking tape to the area where you feel the wind and/or turbulence is coming from. Start with just the pieces over the triangle. Make sure you cover the outside edges of the triangle. This way you can eliminate the need to put all the goop under the triangle.

Drive...see if there is any noticeable change.

Then, move to the window seals, cover them completely!

Then, move to the door seals, cover them completely. Get in from the passenger side.

Process of elimination!

Quick Reply: 2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows