LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dead pedal protection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-14, 02:31 PM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead pedal protection?

The vinyl pad on the dead pedal in my 2008 LS460L is too small. There is exposed tan (light) carpet around the small pad and I don't want to get it dirty.
I've been avoiding stepping on the dead pedal for that reason, but it's uncomfortable. I would rather rest my foot on it when I drive. Did anyone come up with a solution to cover the carpet and protect it?

I've read on some other forums that the guys are cutting rubber baseboard moldings or stair treads to shape and adding Velcro on the back to hold them in place. I was hoping for a "nicer" more proper installation, but if there isn't a better solution, I guess it's off to Lowes or Home Depot for me.
Any better ideas?
Old 05-23-14, 03:25 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Weathertech mats are great and there is a rubber piece attached to it to protect the dead pedal
Old 05-23-14, 04:12 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you use the Weathertech mats year round? I hear others saying they only use them during the winter.
Old 05-23-14, 05:46 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I use them year round. In NC it rains at least 1-3 times per week. So, the water is always a problem.

Take a look at the picture, you can see the dead pedal on the left.

I LOVE my weathertech mats, MUCH better than the Lexus Mats
Attached Thumbnails Dead pedal protection?-image.jpg  
Old 05-23-14, 06:16 PM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

I already have the Lexus all weather mats and don't want to buy other mats for now. I decided to run to Lowes and try to find something that worked.
I wound up buying a stair tread cover for $3. It is thin vinyl and has a bullnose on the edge so it fit nicely around the edge. I used a paper bag to cut a template, then I cut the vinyl using the template and added Velcro strips where it contacted the carpet to hold it in place.
It looks decent, and it seems like it will stay in place ok. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm assuming that it will be fine.
Here is a (horrible iPhone) photo of the result:
Attached Thumbnails Dead pedal protection?-img_1747.jpg  
Old 05-23-14, 07:47 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

I use the weathertech drivers mat all year round with the rubber protection for the dead pedal but I also have the factory mats as well that I use for the other areas because I like them better than the weathertechs. Too bad the factory mats don't have that protection. I really wish they made the dead pedal in plastic. My 08 GX had a plastic one and in the 2012 GX it is carpet so it's not as durable.
Old 05-25-14, 08:38 AM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dead pedal protection?-image.jpg this is what I've done to mines.
Old 05-26-14, 11:06 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Winner !
Old 05-27-14, 05:29 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

SB, those look nice, where did you get them?
Old 05-27-14, 02:36 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe they're Lexus Japan oem parts
Old 05-27-14, 10:05 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteinPA
SB, those look nice, where did you get them?
Thanks, the pedals are oem Toyota and the dead pedal I found searching the japan websites.
Old 01-10-16, 04:19 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lol, I honestly thought about fabricating something myself.

Does any one have any links to the Toyota OEM ones shown in this thread or have other dead pedal covers?

Really need one. I actually don't like the look of the weathertech mats and like the Lexus rubber ones, but that dead pedal surrounded by parchment carpet is forcing me to not even use it lol.

Originally Posted by up4speed
I already have the Lexus all weather mats and don't want to buy other mats for now. I decided to run to Lowes and try to find something that worked.
I wound up buying a stair tread cover for $3. It is thin vinyl and has a bullnose on the edge so it fit nicely around the edge. I used a paper bag to cut a template, then I cut the vinyl using the template and added Velcro strips where it contacted the carpet to hold it in place.
It looks decent, and it seems like it will stay in place ok. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm assuming that it will be fine.
Here is a (horrible iPhone) photo of the result:
Old 01-12-16, 08:56 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

This is what I've been doing for years, even when I had the LS with black carpet...

Left-over vinyl runner from Home Depot which I cut such that I can tuck between dead pedal and floor mat, which holds it in place. I also leave a little flap so that in the event some water gets on my "cover", it drains on to be floor mat.
Attached Thumbnails Dead pedal protection?-image-2590229784.jpg  
Old 01-12-16, 04:18 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah I ended up fabricating a homemade solution. I have a lot of leftover antislip rug mats that I used under my rugs on my hardwood floors. The very thick but flexible waffle-weave type.

I measured and cut out a piece, enough where I can tuck it under the carpet on the top and under the floor mat. It's off-white in color and kind of looks funny, but hey it works for now.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-07-16, 08:22 PM
fongr555
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SBlexus
Attachment 330344 this is what I've done to mines.
SB can you provide a link to purchase that dead pedal. I found the gas and brake pedal, but I've been searching for weeks to find that exact matching dead pedal with no luck.

Quick Reply: Dead pedal protection?