LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DIY Spark Plug Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-16, 06:35 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by gte819s
I want to thank all that contributed to this thread. All the comments and help made this the easiest v8 that i have changed plugs on. There were lots of things that would have taken a few more hours for me to figure out if I did have this thread. It took me about 2.5 hours including a short dinner and taking my time.

A few notes:
I could not find two 4" extensions but two 3" extensions worked out fine for the socket stack.
I removed the entire air box including the tops
Magnetic wand is key to save time for dropped tools.
The electrical connectors to the coil packs are murderous. Removing them before taking out the 10mm bolt helps.
The all plugs were easy except for cylinder 7 (driver side rear) i had to remove more than RF. I removed the bolts to the brake fluid fill, the abs sensor, and the bracket that held the abs module plus some more hardware just to get the tools and plug out and back in. It was still a pain and took as long as 1,3, and 5 combined!
This all worked for a 2010 ls460 sport. Nothing significantly different from the OP's post.

On another subject plug 7 was wet with oil. There were no issues before changing plugs or CEL. Is this an issue? Car sat for two days unused before changing plugs.
There's gaskets that are supposed to seal the spark plug tubes and it appears one of yours is leaking. I'd keep an eye on it, depending on how bad it is/becomes, you'll have to replace your valve cover gaskets (which isn't an easy task on these cars due to the high pressure fuel pumps that sit on top of the valve covers). My spark plugs had a little oil on the threads when I changed them, I've driven 30,000 miles since without any problems, but if it becomes a big leak I'm sure I'll get misfire codes.
Old 10-13-16, 07:38 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
superdenso

I don't need any more tools. I have tools that I am to old to use now. That's the problem I don't want to do it myself anymore. I have lost that wrenching feeling. I guess I will try and sneak the $476 bucks out of my dear wife's pedicure account and hope she does not notice till next spring when it's slipper season again.

Dennis
This is a no brainer. You don't want to do it yourself, I understand that and they want too much to do it for you. Just let them ride another 50k. These plugs are only 1/2 worn out and the car won't run any different after changing them.
Old 10-14-16, 09:19 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

Kennyr44

The problem with that is then Lexus has ya by the short and curlies. If you have a engine emissions warranty issue and you have not changed your spark plugs per the owners manual requirement of 60K miles Lexus could then say to bad so sad you did not comply with the requirement to change your spark plugs as per our instructions so it is now your problem not ours.

Dennis
Old 10-14-16, 01:39 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whether it is a placebo effect or not, I did hear several guys mentioned that their engine runs smoother after spark plug changes.

I don’t drive a lot and put only 20k miles on my 06’ LS430 in 5 years before I sold it. I will sell my 11’ LS460 at the end of Dec 2018 before the warranty expires. So I think changing spark plugs at 6k miles now is the only big maintenance job I need to do besides changing braking fluid, oil, filters.
Old 03-28-17, 02:46 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally tackled this - to make this easier, there are 2 17mm bolts under the car by the big lower front control arms. Loosen those and use a floor jack to lift up the engine and you will have all the clearance you need to get all 8 spark plugs. Bad news - two plugs on the driver side have lots of oil in it :/
Old 03-28-17, 04:55 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Can I ask ? How hard is this compared to a LS430 ?

When I did my 2001 LS430 and I found 95% of my time was disconnection stuff and moving it out of the way. Is the LS460 easier or harder ? (I am not an expert but changing plugs are one of the easier car things)
Old 03-29-17, 08:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Can I ask ? How hard is this compared to a LS430 ?

When I did my 2001 LS430 and I found 95% of my time was disconnection stuff and moving it out of the way. Is the LS460 easier or harder ? (I am not an expert but changing plugs are one of the easier car things)
Out of 10, I'd call it a 6 for difficulty. I've had FAR more aggravation changing the plugs on a V6 mounted transversely, like my Dad's 98 Dodge Caravan or any other transverse mounted V6 engine. It's not hard at all. The only components that need to be removed is the battery and tray and the ignition module on the drivers side firewall needs to be moved out of the way - both are simple and only need a 10mm socket.

Last edited by roadfrog; 03-29-17 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 12:44 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Out of 10, I'd call it a 6 for difficulty. I've had FAR more aggravation changing the plugs on a V6 mounted transversely, like my Dad's 98 Dodge Caravan or any other transverse mounted V6 engine. It's not hard at all. The only components that need to be removed is the battery and tray and the ignition module on the drivers side firewall needs to be moved out of the way - both are simple and only need a 10mm socket.
Oh, ok, does not sound too bad. Wana hear hard ? Try to change the plugs on a RX300, tried to do that to my wife's old car, after tryng a few times with my limited selection of tools, I sent it to the local shop.
Old 03-29-17, 12:54 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Even my 88 Mustang 5.0 is harder than the LS. The only thing you'll need tool-wise other than the usual sockets and ratchets, are a varying set of extensions (wobble are best, but I used regular) and flex joints. An extra long nose set of pliers is also useful.
Old 03-31-17, 12:14 PM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I read through this write-up, bought my spark plugs, got another 4 inch extension and started on the passenger's side. Got to the first plug and it was in really tight. I've changed plugs on all my vehicles, but I got worried that I was going to snap it off. So I put it all back together and had the dealer do it. Better they snap it off than me. Cost me $480, plus I have to put my sparks plugs on ebay or offerup. But it seemed like the right thing to do. I had them flush the brake fluid as that is not a job for 1 person, IMHO.
Old 03-31-17, 02:47 PM
Restomod
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Great write up!
Old 09-30-17, 12:23 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Any chance you can update your photos? They have vanished off the DIY. Thx.
Old 10-01-17, 08:54 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Any chance you can update your photos? They have vanished off the DIY. Thx.
Really?? That's strange.

Moderators?
Old 10-01-17, 11:55 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Really?? That's strange.

Moderators?
The link to your photo bucket is dead.
Old 10-01-17, 08:35 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dryrunner
I read through this write-up, bought my spark plugs, got another 4 inch extension and started on the passenger's side. Got to the first plug and it was in really tight. I've changed plugs on all my vehicles, but I got worried that I was going to snap it off. So I put it all back together and had the dealer do it. Better they snap it off than me. Cost me $480, plus I have to put my sparks plugs on ebay or offerup. But it seemed like the right thing to do. I had them flush the brake fluid as that is not a job for 1 person, IMHO.
If the spark plug breaks off their probably going to tell you it’s not their fault anyway. Maybe I was lucky but in 25 years wrenching I never had a plug break in the head. Anyway yours are done now and your good for almost forever now.

Quick Reply: DIY Spark Plug Replacment