LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

8x BMW owner migrating to Lexus LS F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-17, 08:22 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

On Monday, I am going to look into Brembos. I shudder to think how expensive they are,
Shudder indeed. This one of the cheaper Brembo kits I could find:

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A2861A0A0.aspx

And that's just for the front. Front and rear will set you back about 7-8k
Old 08-24-17, 09:00 AM
LexJonez
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is my story......I owned a 2010 Audi A8 Quattro, and I loved they way it drove and it was very fun to drive, but I was always at the Dealership for repairs. I told my Service Manager that I am "Tired" of coming to see him at least 2 times a year.....He stating if you are tired of seeing my me at the Audi Dealership then buy a Lexus and you won't see me again. Come to find out he own a Lexus GS350.......So I immediately went and purchase a Lexus LS460....and I am never going back to German Automobiles. Love my Lexus!!!
Old 08-24-17, 09:48 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Interesting, my four BMWs (72 -01) were every bit as reliable as my Lexus cars (92 -14), only letting me down on 2 occasions - both were the post 1990 5-series cars with the PLASTIC water pump (which disintegrated within 60k miles). The replacement part was, of course, metal (but they still put these plastic parts in their current new car lineup). Both my LS cars have left me stranded (both times the battery).
Old 09-13-17, 02:56 PM
bankerbry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely disappointed in my LS460 F Sport (non sport)

I recently switched from a 14 BMW 650i Grant Coupe to a 14 LS460 F Sport, and I couldn't be more disappointed. My goal also was to decrease my cost of ownership by getting into a more reliable vehicle, but its definitely not worth it. This is an absolutely pathetic attempt at a sports sedan. I owned several A8's also, and there is no comparison. The Lexus may be quiet, but that's all it has going for it. The performance is pathetic and it doesn't have many of the standard features of the other vehicles in its class. The Lexus looks ok from certain angles, but still looks old and boxy with too small wheels. It feels like your driving a huge boat. Also the infotainment system is about a decade behind. No digital dash, cc doesn't tell you the exact speed, the satellite presets doesn't tell you the name of the station etc.
If you are under the age of 70, you need to look at the BMW, Audi or MB.
Old 09-13-17, 03:29 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Hi Bankerbry, if your main goal was to reduce cost of ownership by switching to the 2014 LS F Sport, why are you disappointed? I have heard so many people here praising the remarkable reliability of the LS compared to BMW and MB, so give yourself more time to appreciate your car's reliability. In all likelihood, you will spend much less to own this car than the BMW. Your buyer's remorse is stemming from the lack of specific features in the LS as well as its "dowdy" looks and handling. Did you not test drive the car and check out all infotainment features before buying it?
Old 09-13-17, 03:53 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bankerbry
I recently switched from a 14 BMW 650i Grant Coupe to a 14 LS460 F Sport, and I couldn't be more disappointed. My goal also was to decrease my cost of ownership by getting into a more reliable vehicle, but its definitely not worth it. This is an absolutely pathetic attempt at a sports sedan. I owned several A8's also, and there is no comparison. The Lexus may be quiet, but that's all it has going for it. The performance is pathetic and it doesn't have many of the standard features of the other vehicles in its class. The Lexus looks ok from certain angles, but still looks old and boxy with too small wheels. It feels like your driving a huge boat. Also the infotainment system is about a decade behind. No digital dash, cc doesn't tell you the exact speed, the satellite presets doesn't tell you the name of the station etc.
Beyond reliability there is also the resale value as well. Most BMW and Audi these days are not the "driver's car" of days of yore. Sure there are M2's, RS lineup, et al, that are legit, but overall the one-two punch of China and Tesla has at least to me fundamentally changed all of these brands. Not that Lexus is totally immune of course.

In addition, this platform has been out forever. Even in 2014, the XF40 was already 7 years old so it is not surprising you found the infotainment lacking. The forthcoming LS will be a major level up in that regard. So no, to consider this a sports sedan would be a major letdown. That said, it is an eminently competent cruiser with solid fuel economy and low running costs and without the need to set aside a serious amount of cash for the "out of warranty German car" fund.

Biggest thing I miss compared to an A8 or 7 Series and whatnot is the overall interior experience. At this level they all are relatively quick and stop well.... The 460 is certainly quite comfortable and smooth, but just lacks something. I previously owned a 2005 Ultra Luxury LS430 and even then while certainly plush just lacked something to me.
Old 09-13-17, 05:28 PM
bankerbry
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you that there definitely is better reliability and resale with the Lexus, but unfortunately I'm finding out that the lack luster performance and driving experience is not worth the trade off. You bring up another point about the interior, the Lexus interior does nothing for me and is very outdated.
Old 09-13-17, 05:35 PM
bankerbry
Driver School Candidate

I know I will appreciate the reliability, but this doesn't make up for my every day boredom driving this vehicle. It really feels like I'm driving a huge boat. To my fault, no I didn't drive the vehicle before I bought it. I researched the reviews on line and then had it shipped. I was frustrated with my BMW in the cost of ownership including gas mileage, ins etc, but I definitely should've driven the Lexus first. I really can't imagine anyone driving the bmw, audi or mb and choosing the Lexus. It's nice and quiet on the interstate, but that concludes the benefits. It's hard for me to imagine that Lexus can slap a "F Sport" badge on this.
Old 09-13-17, 10:57 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

I know I will appreciate the reliability, but this doesn't make up for my every day boredom driving this vehicle. It really feels like I'm driving a huge boat. To my fault, no I didn't drive the vehicle before I bought it. I researched the reviews on line and then had it shipped. I was frustrated with my BMW in the cost of ownership including gas mileage, ins etc, but I definitely should've driven the Lexus first. I really can't imagine anyone driving the bmw, audi or mb and choosing the Lexus. It's nice and quiet on the interstate, but that concludes the benefits. It's hard for me to imagine that Lexus can slap a "F Sport" badge on this.
give it some time, you have buyers remorse right now but soon you will start to enjoy the car a little more as time goes

I sold my ls430 for the 460L and I was feeling sort of short changed for the first while , I even posted it for sale at one point , but you will get over it

I agree with you somewhat regarding the interior...... the seats , headliner and armrest are great but the entire door panels are total crap and so is the glove box and a few other things

its definitely not a sports sedan though, id say its more of a highway beast, for cruising and traveling long distances its amazing , but not for curves and spirited driving at all

The F badge really means nothing especially when compared to the AMG or M models , I think you get a slightly stiffer suspension or something ,,(woop-de-doo )

It definitely makes up for all that with reliability and the confidence you have in it as a daily driver

I use mine for work and travel long distances sometimes, ive never once worried its going to leave me stranded
Old 09-14-17, 05:27 AM
bankerbry
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate your comments and your sentiment is exactly how I'm feeling. I couldn't agree more with your opinions on the interior, I do hope my appreciate for the vehicle grows over time. I'm afraid though as I drive this every day, the lack of driving experience and poor performance will cause me to look to something else.
Another quick question: As good as the brembo brake are, I can't stand them as it makes it difficult to step on the brakes without a noticeable jult forward. Also I've found that dis-engaging the cruise control requires a couple stomps on the brakes before it will did-engage. Have you found this on yours?
Thanks again
Old 09-14-17, 06:25 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

The Lexus may be quiet, but that's all it has going for it.
Well, that and utter reliability and lack of drama. That alone is why I don't miss either of my BMW's (7 series and X5). Not much point in having all the driving excitement if the car spends all it's time in the shop or your always waiting for something to break or a warning light to emit. As many owners on the Bimmerfest forums used to say, owning a BMW was akin to, "being married to a sex-starved supermodel with a $500 a day cocaine habit". Just not worth it. I'm never disappointed or nervous when I get into my Lexus. Even my older 08 still garners attention at gas stations, mall etc. There are TONS of BMW's around here and very few LS's, so when you see one, it gets your attention.
Old 09-14-17, 06:32 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Another quick question: As good as the brembo brake are, I can't stand them as it makes it difficult to step on the brakes without a noticeable jult forward. Also I've found that dis-engaging the cruise control requires a couple stomps on the brakes before it will did-engage. Have you found this on yours?
Thanks again
The brakes on the LS are generally grabby, maybe the Brembos are even more so, I don't know. But you get used to it and learn to brake gently to avoid the grabbiness. I have had no issues with disengaging the CC with a slight tap on the brakes. More often, I disengage CC using the stalk on the steering wheel.
Old 09-14-17, 08:58 AM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi bankerbry,

How about installing a supercharger into your LS?

I also agrees that the LS need another 50-100 hp. I am thinking of getting the supercharger, but just had a large expenditure and thus, maybe next year.
Old 09-14-17, 10:54 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

I appreciate your comments and your sentiment is exactly how I'm feeling. I couldn't agree more with your opinions on the interior, I do hope my appreciate for the vehicle grows over time. I'm afraid though as I drive this every day, the lack of driving experience and poor performance will cause me to look to something else.
Thanks again
Honestly, one of the best things ive done to my car was replacing the stock Toyota brake pads with the Akebono ceramic pads which have been very highly reviewed here over the years

It completely removes that jolty, grabby , big bite that the stock pads have

On mine the jolt was so bad I thought I had a control arm issue, cause it almost felt like a clunk when I hit the brakes, and swapping to the akebono pads fixed that and really changed the whole feel of the brakes to that smooth , gradual braking

The only thing is I'm not sure if they make akebono pads for the F sport, mine is non F 460L
Old 09-14-17, 01:04 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

uhhhhhh.. did you not test drive the car before you paid for it?

The LS has always been a boat.. and it definitely drives like one.

Quick Reply: 8x BMW owner migrating to Lexus LS F Sport