LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

8x BMW owner migrating to Lexus LS F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 10:32 AM
M5canes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8x BMW owner migrating to Lexus LS F Sport

Hello, avid enthusiast here. Have had 8 BMW's in a row. M-models included. Currently own a 2012 650i M-Sport and 2013 X5 M-Sport with performance pckg. 3rd car is 2011 535i M-Sport.

Love the drivability and performance. Even the technology inside.

However, way too many tire sensor, tire, and electronic issues. I can get great deals on BMW's but I'm looking for a change.

How would the LS 460 F Sport be? I know the difference in performance and connection to road is vast but I want a trouble free car with great seats and power when I need it.

I would probably upgrade the wheels to a nice 5-spoke or the like and I was wondering about engine enhancements with software.

How is this car and would it be a good alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Ray (M5)
Old 12-09-13, 11:07 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm a previous BMW owner and I switched over to Lexus because of the problems you describe. BMWs are great driving oriented cars and in my opinion are more fun to drive then a similar competing Lexus. If you were leasing I would go BMW and turn it in before the problems set in. If you want to be an owner I would buy a Lexus and have a little compromise on the driving feel but a major advantage of owning a car that is trouble free. My gripe is no car should cost over 50k and not be built right. BMWs are road cars not race cars with poor reliability.
Old 12-09-13, 11:10 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i would tell you to go for it and that it will be one of the best decisions you've ever made... however, i think you should visit your local Lexus dealership and test drive an LS F Sport, then post your review and tell us how you like/hate the car. i have a 2013 LS460, but i did test-drive the F Sport version. the differences are subtle, even with the F in Sport +. they both drive as smooth as fish grease. i added a staggered set up so my car feels like i want it to, not too soft and not too firm. Engine enhancements via software... think you'd be SOL on that one, although i'm not sure.
Old 12-09-13, 02:11 PM
Lvbadboyz
Driver School Candidate

M5canes, be careful what you ask for. I have the 2013 LS F Sport and have unresolved brake issues. My Brembo brakes have been squealing for over 5K miles and was told by Lexus that there is no fix. It's hard to imagine that a company this size cannot or will not make it right! Further, the analog clock will not reset manually and must be adjusted by the dealership and the handsfree text reading option on the bluetooth from your smart phone will cease to operate and will also require a reset by the dealership. I'm on my 12th Lexus and 5th LS model and definately qualified to give you my opinion. Buy the regular LS model or stick with the BMW. Lexus customer service is not what it once was. Good luck...
Old 12-10-13, 10:29 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvbadboyz
M5canes, be careful what you ask for. I have the 2013 LS F Sport and have unresolved brake issues. My Brembo brakes have been squealing for over 5K miles and was told by Lexus that there is no fix. It's hard to imagine that a company this size cannot or will not make it right! Further, the analog clock will not reset manually and must be adjusted by the dealership and the handsfree text reading option on the bluetooth from your smart phone will cease to operate and will also require a reset by the dealership. I'm on my 12th Lexus and 5th LS model and definately qualified to give you my opinion. Buy the regular LS model or stick with the BMW. Lexus customer service is not what it once was. Good luck...
There will be a recall first quarter of next year for the 2013 LS F sport brembo brakes, your clock probably needs to be replaced per L-SB-0085-13 and the bluetooth text reading part will show you the text when stopped, but as soon as you start moving the text will disappear, is that what you are talking about because it is normal (they do it for safety reasons.)

I love my 2013 LS, best car I've ever owned!

-Joe
Old 12-11-13, 11:08 PM
oc430
Driver School Candidate

I too migrated over to Lexus after owning 3 BMW's including an M5. I now have a 2010 LS460 that is my daily driver after daily driving a GS430 for 5 years. To let my inner hooligan out once in awhile I have a CLS55 AMG that I drive on weekends. The Bimmers have been my most fun cars to drive to date, but they wore me down with electronic gremlins and what seemed like the constant issue of warning lights appearing on the dash. I love the styling of the recent Bimmers but I'm reluctant to buy one. I now have close to 200k Lexus miles under my belt and have been extremely impressed with build quality and the lack of mechanical issues.
Old 12-13-13, 03:53 PM
cregeis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned 5 BMW's (3,5 and 3- 7 series) and changed because of the reliability and repair costs. Honestly, the BMW seats and brakes are much better than the LS 460's, the BMW is more fun to drive than the LS and the BMW is as quiet as the Lexus. I do think the LS looks better than the new BMW 750iL. So far the LS has been in the shop for the brakes numerous times including two resurfacing the rotors and lastly a new actuator (I think that is what it is called) for brake chirping and for the driver's seat lumbar mechanism, the seat heater and a few other things so the car is not repair free although luckily it is under warranty. I do like the simplicity of the Lexus as I my wife and children have a hard time with BMW's idrive. I do miss my BMW but I wont miss the repair bills.
Old 12-26-13, 06:08 AM
M5canes
Driver School Candidate

Friends... I wanted to say thank you for all the input. I decided on a 2013 Audi A8 4.0T. Fully loaded.

I test drove a '14 LF Sport and I was disappointed. The engine was not impressive to me at all and the sport seats were a disaster. Honestly, I was expecting a much smoother car with a better transmission. The car struggled on demand and was much louder than I expected. It LOOKS amazing and the interior is great but no match for the A8. The Quattro system is 60/40 rear-front and with a twin turbo V8... (424/442) the car is effortless and awe inspiring. The interior is rivaled only by Rolls and Bentley.

Bought the car for 88k after discounts and rebates.

I would recommend anyone to test drive this vehicle who is in the LS segment before purchasing or leasing their next LS.

Bye bye BMW.

This seems like a great forum and will peek in from time to time. Best wishes to all.
Old 12-26-13, 06:50 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by M5canes
Friends... I wanted to say thank you for all the input. I decided on a 2013 Audi A8 4.0T. Fully loaded.

I test drove a '14 LF Sport and I was disappointed. The engine was not impressive to me at all and the sport seats were a disaster. Honestly, I was expecting a much smoother car with a better transmission. The car struggled on demand and was much louder than I expected. It LOOKS amazing and the interior is great but no match for the A8. The Quattro system is 60/40 rear-front and with a twin turbo V8... (424/442) the car is effortless and awe inspiring. The interior is rivaled only by Rolls and Bentley.

I would recommend anyone to test drive this vehicle who is in the LS segment before purchasing or leasing their next LS.

Bye bye BMW.

This seems like a great forum and will peek in from time to time. Best wishes to all.
Congrats..I love the A8 too... but you'll be getting to know your audi service advisor very well..enough so that you will know their kids birthday's and attending their soccer games loool
Old 12-26-13, 07:24 AM
amit1947
Driver School Candidate

If you are seriously complaining about brake squeal and some other minor issue in the LS460, I have to say you are pretty damn spolied.

As a recent BMW owner I have to say, the issues mentioned in this thread are a joke. When you have to replace 12 fuel injectors, 1 fuel pump, 1 water pump, 2 pressure regulator solenoids, 1 low pressure fuel sensor, and various oil leaks, then you should start complaining.
Old 12-26-13, 08:00 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by M5canes

Bye bye BMW.

I would be disappointed also even though I have not driven the F Sport. The journalist reviews and some owners experiences reflect exactly what you have described. This approach from Lexus to be competitive in this segment is pathetic. The LS was not designed to be a sports sedan. The LS is a luxury car like your dads Oldsmobile and it was once true to it's focus.

Adding quirky brembo brakes and so called sports tuned suspension was the wrong direction for this flagship.
Where Lexus is king is in quality, durability and reliability. When you spend 80k on a car it better be built right otherwise it's the equivalent to someone selling you swamp land.
I have a relative that owned a Audi S4 and for the longest time they thought it was the best vehicle until it ended up spending more time in the shop with costly repairs. They sold it for a loss and leased a Mercedes. They would never buy a Lexus because it's beneath them so leasing is the next best thing. Good luck with your Audi and my advice is to get rid of it before the warranty runs out.

Last edited by Devh; 12-26-13 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-26-13, 08:07 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by amit1947
If you are seriously complaining about brake squeal and some other minor issue in the LS460, I have to say you are pretty damn spolied.

As a recent BMW owner I have to say, the issues mentioned in this thread are a joke. When you have to replace 12 fuel injectors, 1 fuel pump, 1 water pump, 2 pressure regulator solenoids, 1 low pressure fuel sensor, and various oil leaks, then you should start complaining.
I have taken the last two weeks reading post as far back as 2010 on here and after reading the problems people report about is laughable. Go to any European car forum and you will see how horrible these guys got it and how that great service ends up being when they need warranty work.
These Euro owners are still apologists for the badge as they shuffle about pretending they are Rockefellers.

Last edited by Devh; 12-26-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-26-13, 08:43 AM
amit1947
Driver School Candidate

Lexus LS owners, count your blessings, you don't know how it is on the other side.
Old 12-26-13, 09:09 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I drive a 13 LS460, non F Sport. I researched damn near everything about this car and decided that the AWD base model is the best of the LS line up. I have no problems at all with the analog clock and I can set it manually without the dealer, my text messages via BT can be read even when the car is moving , you just can't reply even though there are options to choose from but for some reason the car will not allow you to reply. I test drove the F Sport model and to the OP... I didn't hear a sound from the engine until I laid on the gas a little, and still barely heard anything. Jumped into an Audi A8L... Was not impressed at all with the interior although I did like the interior lighting design. The drive is nice but again, I was not impressed. I guess I chose reliability over everything else. There is the dreaded brake actuator issue with the LS, but a quick fix VIA the actuator from the 600. Other than that I have had absolutely no problems with this car. This post is solely based on my opinions ans observations.
Old 12-26-13, 11:39 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by amit1947
Lexus LS owners, count your blessings, you don't know how it is on the other side.
I too was on the other side and it was one leak after another and some system fault.

The BMW chime that tells you it's below freezing is the same chime that tells you something is wrong with the car and when it goes off my heart sinks to my stomach.

Quick Reply: 8x BMW owner migrating to Lexus LS F Sport