LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

HID Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 07:56 PM
XCLSVELS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Headlight

What's up Lexus enthusiasts and fellow owners I own a 08 LS. Today I noticed that my driver side headlight goes out , I turn it off and turned it back on and it's good to go but after a minute it turns off. This could be a bad ballast . Has anyone changed a ballast or headlight bulb in an LS before? Is there a link that I can go to and check it out ? Or this is one of those that the bumper has to come off :thumb . Hopefully your input can help and thank you as well
Old 04-16-13, 04:52 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd replace the bulb first since its a lot cheaper than replacing the ballast. You might want to remove the passenger side bulb and place it on the drivers side to see if that indeed is the issue. If so, you have your fix. Check post #30 on this thread.
The entire lining doesnt have to be removed. You can just lift your car, turn the wheel inward on the side youre working on and remove enough of the lining to get to the cap that houses the bulb. Then it has 2 clips and the bulb slides out. Remember to use rubber gloves when doing this since youre not supposed to touch the bulb.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ls600hl-2.html
Old 04-16-13, 06:00 AM
XCLSVELS
Rookie

Originally Posted by 305Busa
I'd replace the bulb first since its a lot cheaper than replacing the ballast. You might want to remove the passenger side bulb and place it on the drivers side to see if that indeed is the issue. If so, you have your fix. Check post #30 on this thread.
The entire lining doesnt have to be removed. You can just lift your car, turn the wheel inward on the side youre working on and remove enough of the lining to get to the cap that houses the bulb. Then it has 2 clips and the bulb slides out. Remember to use rubber gloves when doing this since youre not supposed to touch the bulb.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ls600hl-2.html
Thank you I will try that !! How long did it take you to do that?
Old 04-16-13, 02:37 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I didn't need to change my lights but changed them out to 5ks while I was doing the HID fogs and brakes. So it's hard to tell. But between lifting the car and changing each side, I'd guess about 45 min to and hour.
Old 04-16-13, 05:23 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Before you go out and buy new parts, check which part is causing the issue. Switch the bulb from the side causing the issue to the other side and if the problem follows the bulb, it's the bulb. If the problem stays on the same side, it's most likely the ballast.
Old 04-16-13, 10:44 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by XCLSVELS
What's up Lexus enthusiasts and fellow owners I own a 08 LS. Today I noticed that my driver side headlight goes out , I turn it off and turned it back on and it's good to go but after a minute it turns off. This could be a bad ballast . Has anyone changed a ballast or headlight bulb in an LS before? Is there a link that I can go to and check it out ? Or this is one of those that the bumper has to come off :thumb . Hopefully your input can help and thank you as well
Mine was doing the same. It turned out my original bulbs were going bad. At first I did try some cheap ebay bulbs and it had the same intermittent issues. I fixed the problem by coughing up the money for quality OEM bulbs.

Last edited by tnbigdawg; 04-16-13 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-17-13, 08:37 PM
XCLSVELS
Rookie

Originally Posted by tnbigdawg
Mine was doing the same. It turned out my original bulbs were going bad. At first I did try some cheap ebay bulbs and it had the same intermittent issues. I fixed the problem by coughing up the money for quality OEM bulbs.
But if it were the bulbs wouldn't it turn pink before it goes out mine doesn't do that. I'll turn it on and after a minute it goes out . IDK now I'm confused
Old 04-18-13, 09:22 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my driver side was doing same thing - instead of checking which part(ballast, other side bulb) i ended up getting a pair of "oem" from genuineXenon(or similar) off eBay for $40. 2years later, no problems

yeah i had to take front wheels off, take off the liner and have someone with small hands reach in and change out the bulbs. word of advise - since everything is apart, might as well throw in some HID in fogs too.
Old 04-18-13, 10:24 PM
XCLSVELS
Rookie

Originally Posted by ALeX300
my driver side was doing same thing - instead of checking which part(ballast, other side bulb) i ended up getting a pair of "oem" from genuineXenon(or similar) off eBay for $40. 2years later, no problems

yeah i had to take front wheels off, take off the liner and have someone with small hands reach in and change out the bulbs. word of advise - since everything is apart, might as well throw in some HID in fogs too.
Thank you , Ima buy a pair of bulbs tomorrow and work on it this weekend and also I have 3K fogs on by DDM Tuning but I have to replace one of the ballast for the 3rd TIME from the driver side . Now with one bad bulb and fog my car lights up only from the passenger side
Old 04-22-13, 08:21 PM
XCLSVELS
Rookie

Originally Posted by XCLSVELS
Thank you , Ima buy a pair of bulbs tomorrow and work on it this weekend and also I have 3K fogs on by DDM Tuning but I have to replace one of the ballast for the 3rd TIME from the driver side . Now with one bad bulb and fog my car lights up only from the passenger side
My lights are fixed it was a bad bulb, somI switched them out to 6k and also put in a new ballast for my fog light. Now I'm bright img up the road !!!!