LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Navigation Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 02:14 PM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Joes
Thanks to all for helping. We left the car with the dealer with instructions to drive and park it for a couple of days before calling us to say, "It's fixed." The new battery is a fully charged Optima Red Top (13 plus volts at the time of install), so I don't believe it is a part of the problem although it's installation process and procedure might well be. We should hear from the dealer by Monday... I'll pass along what we find.

Thanks again to you all.
An important point about new batteries and their state-of-charge: many new batteries are not fully charged because the electrolyte has been in them a long time and the self-discharge effect works as a function of time. When the new battery is installed in a car it starts the car fine because it doesn't take much of a charge to start the car. After the car is driven for a while the car's charging system brings the battery up to full-charge - then just disconnecting the battery and reconnecting provides a good power-on-reset and solves lots of problems.

If your battery measured 13 plus volts when you installed it something was wrong, probably your measurement method. A fully charged battery should read 12.7 volts.
Old 08-22-13, 12:46 AM
460ing
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
The GPS components in the LS460s are quiet reliable ... except in cases of flooded cars and things like rodents chewing on the wires..
Here's my story, my car came from california (U.S.A. spec) and I am driving it in the Middle East countries (ME). So I reprogrammed/switched the Maps completely into ME countries everything was working fine. One day the battery died and I got a black screen that said in white font to visit dealer (in english and japanese font). Changed the battery, reprogrammed map and everything was back to normal (GPS signal and all). Then the same problem happened again so here we go again map back on screen, all is good, just no gps signal - ever. Even on long highways and open areas that are easy to get a signal. And of course car gets lost always. I have replaced all four tires and I did select the tire calibration that gave the message of vehicle being in calibration mode (i dont know if that does anything but i tried).

The GPS signals originate in space, so your antenna must have an unobstructed view of at least 4 satellites. As many as 7 may be above the horizon at any one time and I think at least 6 are always above the horizon...
I am thinking there must be an antenna problem. I took a few photos of what my navigation settings and readings said. I have no idea what it means but maybe someone can tell me something? Photos taken when vehicle is stationary and engine turned on.
(and if anyone wants to know how I accessed that screen, I followed this video thanks to this awesome guy:
(Note: to exit this screen just press and hold on to the display button)

So, to start with, position your car away from possible interference sources, in an area that has an unobstructed view of the sky, with the engine turned off but the accessory power on and see what happens. Try that and tell us what happens.
I will give that a shot and let you know. Not sure what Im looking for though? The GPS signal should pop up on navigation screen?
EDIT: I did that GPS didnt show on screen

Lots of possibilities, such as, malfunctioning electronic devices that you have added to your car or devices that you are carrying or devices that someone has attached to your car such as a tracking device. RFI emissions from all sorts of devices might interfere with the GPS signals.
I have added a "lockout bypass" from prestigious society http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=5 all it does it make me able to access all menu & dvd when vehicle is not stationary. However it did not interefere with my navigation as the problem came much later and only after the double battery dying and reprogramming issue. Maybe something got short circuited and zapped? No idea what to look for

Your car's GPS antenna is located in the middle of you dash sort of under the review mirror.
My repair guy swears that the antenna is hooked up fine. He says that there is a "sub antenna" that is located somewhere inside that is probably malfunctioning? Is that on the rear view mirror? Attached pic of rear view mirror if someone can pinpoint where the antenna is.

One thing for sure is with every reprogramming of navigation, the repair guy had to pull out the screen and reprogram a micro sd card or some kind of memory card - i dont remember what he said exactly but it did involve pulling out the screen. So Im thinking he may have unhooked a wire or something and forgot to put it back on?

Taking the car back to him on Sunday. Will report back on Wednesday.
Attached Thumbnails LS460 Navigation Problem-photo-1.jpg   LS460 Navigation Problem-photo-2.jpg   LS460 Navigation Problem-photo-3.jpg  

Last edited by 460ing; 08-22-13 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-22-13, 08:04 AM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

My diag screen looks similar. I am really starting to think that either the plug n play vaistech module I have is somehow interfering at random times but my 99% solution is to just plug my phone to charge it lol. .when I get back home I can test some theories

Oh..to get to diag screen for sure on 07 to 09 models is to hold down INFO button while turning on/off parking lights 5 or 6x real quick
Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 08-29-13, 08:44 AM
460ing
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

up up up
Old 07-16-19, 04:21 PM
HOWIEXU
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GPS is not showing vehicle current position

Originally Posted by Joes
Recently the battery in our 2009 LS460 died. After installing a new battery my wife (her car) started the car and noticed that the emergency brake was set, but she selected a dealer service option on the dash display and the brake problem was solved. Almost. When she backed it up a couple of feet and pressed on the brake pedal, there was a metallic sound like the disk pads were loose in the calipers. Since this concerned my wife and since it was time for the 55K service, we took it to our local Lexus Dealer. Two days later, we got a call to tell us that the tires were worn to 3/32 tread, so we let them replace the tires. Oh yeah, my wife also had the car detailed at the dealership.

When we got the car back, the navigation system didn't know where the car was. After reading the owners manual, we discovered that there is a navigation system procedure to update tire changes... the dealer had not done it. We also discovered a navigation system procedure to update battery changes... At the time I installed the new battery, I hadn't done it, so a couple of days late I did it.

The car still doesn't know where it is... most of the time. Some of the time though... it apparently does... for about 30 minutes or 15 miles at a time. The GPS icon randomly appears and disappears.

Any ideas? The latest from the dealer is that we may need a map data upgrade for $300, but I think it's a bad antenna connection.
Ot showing my current pisition

I have experienced the same issue that car is not showing the curre position but it does have the movement in the area of the Lexus dealership where it was last serviced a week ago . I was there for ZLZ inspection , replacing all 9 pieces of front panels by Lexus. Contacted Lexus about it but they said it is not related to battery disconnected , which it wasn't anyway . Offering to bring the vehicle back to inspection.

The vehicle is traveling to the area that is not matching the current position , it is in the area where the car was serviced. Anyone know how ?