LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Oil consumption issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-15, 12:09 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Devh: You just have to stick with 5w20.
No I have to stick with Toyota 0W-20.
I will agree that an argument can be made for thicker oil if the quality of the thinner oil is not up to the task to provide the right viscosity. There are many other factors within oil like additives and boundary lubrication to prevent wear. You can also find xw-30 oils that may not be sufficient either.
The most important thing is to choose the correct viscosity for the tolerances and the operating condition. Using thicker oil is a bandied and not a solution.
Old 09-08-15, 12:24 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My car doesn't burn any oil. If it did I would replace it. Do you want to go over and argue your 5w20 point in all sites?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...il-do-you-use/

Last edited by superdenso; 09-08-15 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 12:36 PM
Devh
Racer

My car doesn't burn any oil. If it did I would replace it. Do you want to go over and argue your 5w20 point in all sites?

I don't need to. I'm a member of CL where 20wt oil is the norm in the absence of oil consumption issues. In the absence of wear validated by oil analysis. Validated by manufactures specifications and extensive testing by the industry.
The burden is not on me it's on you to make your point.

I see, so your car doesn't burn any oil like the majority of us who use 20wt oil.

Last edited by Devh; 09-08-15 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 03:19 PM
rfezko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil consumption

when i wrote about this problem i was referring to my problem .it was not on a ls but my gs300
i beleive that the oil consumption problem and the valve problem is a gs 300 issue
Old 09-08-15, 08:29 PM
superdenso
Instructor

rfezko: You posted to the wrong thread. In your thread I asked a question and you responded to an LS topic about oil.

Last edited by superdenso; 09-08-15 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 08:41 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Default Was 5w20 chosen for C.A.F.E?

Originally Posted by Devh
I don't need to. I'm a member of CL where 20wt oil is the norm in the absence of oil consumption issues. In the absence of wear validated by oil analysis. Validated by manufactures specifications and extensive testing by the industry.
The burden is not on me it's on you to make your point.

I see, so your car doesn't burn any oil like the majority of us who use 20wt oil.
The LS shipped with 5w30. Do you think longevity or Cafe promoted the adjustment? Devh: Inference is not your thing. Just ponder the issue for a while.

Thread titled: Thinking about giving up on my LS by RudyRC51
I am currently on Mobil 1 high mileage 5-20, but since I have been noticing the oil consumption issues, I plan to thicken it to 10-40 the next time around. My motor has been a champ, except for going through a change almost every two months.

Last edited by superdenso; 09-08-15 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 09:39 PM
Devh
Racer

The LS shipped with 5w30. Do you think longevity or Cafe promoted the adjustment? Devh: Inference is not your thing. Just ponder the issue for a while.
I don't need to ponder anything and projection is your deal. CAFE promoted the change however Toyota has built this engine with tight enough tolerances to support 20wt oils and take advantage of it where it counts in further promoting the longevity of the motor. I have known about CAFE requirements and the switch to 20wt oils since it's inception for most major makes. Like you long ago I made the mistake of using 30wt oil in my Honda when it called for 20wt. I was wrong and have switched back to quality 20wt oil without any additional consumption of oil with over 120k on the clock. I have seen the wisdom but you would rather live in the dark ages routed in blood sacrifice and wishful thinking. If this engine was designed to run only on 30wt oil then you would have consumption issues from the very beginning as oil would seep past the rings. That hasn't happen because the manufacture knows what engine oil is required.
The new 2016 requirements are headed for 0W-16 oils and those engines will be built to handle that oil as well but your advice would be for those owners to use 30wt because that is all you know, that and informal fast and furious racetrack challenges to prove your point.

Last edited by Devh; 09-08-15 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 09:58 PM
Devh
Racer

I am currently on Mobil 1 high mileage 5-20, but since I have been noticing the oil consumption issues, I plan to thicken it to 10-40 the next time around. My motor has been a champ, except for going through a change almost every two months.
That's funny because you failed to mention that guys millage. Not all cars reach high millage without any oil consumption, that's just a reality. They all start consuming oil at some point and a lot of it has to do with oil selection and a whole host of many other factors not related to oil. Mobil one except for their 0W-40 product has been shown not to produce the best wear numbers from what I have seen compared to some of the other alternatives from Pennzoil and Castrol but it has still done it's job. It is speculation on your part to assume that 5W-30 would make his high millage LS consumption free. It also makes your "you will see" 30wt assumptions baseless.

Last edited by Devh; 09-08-15 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 10:24 PM
Devh
Racer

35-38mpg...maybe the light gray leather weighs less
So if I switch to Royal Purple can I expect this kind of claimed MPG which is 20% not 10% more as you claimed or do I need light gray seats.
Old 09-09-15, 03:36 AM
superdenso
Instructor

So if I switch to Royal Purple can I expect this kind of claimed MPG which is 20% not 10% more as you claimed or do I need light gray seats.
Is this club Lexus or club Devh? Racing, Dino's, and track testing made the cars we drive today. So you can say Fast and Furious all day and nite but sanctioned racing is the proving ground. Sorry, that's just how that is. Switching after 30k may be too late. However, I am flattered that you would take the time to find all my posts If you have a grocery getter "Accord" I say have at the 5w20. But if you intend to pull an LS with the Ridgeline and make demands on that vtec...I would suggest a different choice. And I would tell you to change your Trans fluid every 20k.
Old 09-09-15, 06:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I still have yet to see any post of factual value from you on this subject superdenso...you post a lot of ascerbic, rude jabs at people and vaguely restate your position within riddles...but have offered no factual evidence or experience that supports your point about widespread consumption issues (I still can't tell if your position is that the LS460 consumes oil period, or if 0W20 oil causes a consumption issue) short of your extremely specious argument about page views on this thread and how that translates into the percentage of LS460 owners with this issue (again, at least 15 more page views today from the three of us, and none of us have oil consumption issues).

Devh's contribution to CL is well documented, especially on these topics as well as others. Until you yourself have contributed something of value to CL I think you should refrain from casting aspersions on others.
Old 09-09-15, 07:47 AM
superdenso
Instructor

SW15LS: I would like to take this time out to apologize for hurting your feelings. I know you're passionate about the topic. You and Devh can keep 5w20 in your cars...I'm not asking you to change Send this guy a message and ask him what he thinks about 5w20.

Last edited by superdenso; 09-09-15 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-09-15, 08:25 AM
superdenso
Instructor

You guys say one thing on this thread, and then something else on another. Are you guys serious with this? Is someone else hacking your accounts? Your experiences and the oil test data are not congruent.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-change-9.html
Old 09-09-15, 09:44 AM
Devh
Racer

I feel a bit embarrassed and I'm sure others feel a bit embarrassed for me having to defend my position when it is more then clear that this is a one sided conversation that brings no value to the discussion. We were having a discussion and superdenso's first post on this thread was to target me and call me out, so I had to defend my position and from there it escalated.
I think I'm done now as I haven't proven anything over what was already obvious.
Old 09-09-15, 09:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I feel a bit embarrassed and I'm sure others feel a bit embarrassed for me having to defend my position when it is more then clear that this is a one sided conversation that brings no value to the discussion. We were having a discussion and superdenso's first post on this thread was to target me and call me out, so I had to defend my position and from there it escalated.
I think I'm done now as I haven't proven anything over what was already obvious.
Agree 200%. I would suggest you do what I'm going to do, just put him on your ignore list.

SW15LS: I would like to take this time out to apologize for hurting your feelings. I know you're passionate about the topic. You and Devh can keep 5w20 in your cars...I'm not asking you to change Send this guy a message and ask him what he thinks about 5w20.
My feelings aren't hurt at all, that statement is the perfect example of what is wrong with your argument...all you can do or are doing to try and bolster your position is to cut down those who disagree with them or to try and paint us as "passionate fan boys" because we don't have any issues and don't believe there is an issue. When the only argument you can put forward is nothing but rude and condescending to the other side...it shows your argument has no strength.

And FYI...I will continue to run 0W20 oil, because thats whats recommended by Lexus for my LS460.

Quick Reply: LS460 Oil consumption issue