LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

VSC System

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 07:37 PM
dealerGM
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VSC System

Turned my car on just now and got the "Check VSC System" message along with the check engine light, orange exclamation triangle light and a square car swerving light.

What is the usual outcome of this? Im going to the lexus dealer tomorrow.*

Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
AAG (09-18-23)
Old 08-19-12, 08:23 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dealerGM
Turned my car on just now and got the "Check VSC System" message along with the check engine light, orange exclamation triangle light and a square car swerving light.

What is the usual outcome of this? Im going to the lexus dealer tomorrow.*

Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks in advance!
Did your car turn over slow when u tried to crank it?
Old 08-19-12, 09:24 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Vehicle stability control is off and malfunctioning. Usually related to a bad speed sensor at one of your wheels.
Old 08-19-12, 09:32 PM
dealerGM
Driver School Candidate

Default Vsc

The car started normal, its just that all of these lights were on.

Driving home, I stopped a few places, the car was turned off and on maybe 3 times at various stops I made and the lights remained on each time.

When I got in the car to turn it on for the 3rd time all of the lights and message were gone and did not come back on.

This is a picture I took of the message and lights.

AAG (09-18-23)
Old 08-19-12, 09:33 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

If the battery is going bad it will do this also.
Old 08-19-12, 09:34 PM
dealerGM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Vehicle stability control is off and malfunctioning. Usually related to a bad speed sensor at one of your wheels.
I got a set of new tires installed about 2 weeks ago, think they could have messed something up?
Old 08-19-12, 09:38 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

My friend car did the same thing when his battery was going bad, he replace the battery a few weeks ago all the lights went out and the car has been fine every since.
RussLS460 (06-08-18)
Old 08-19-12, 09:38 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dealerGM
I got a set of new tires installed about 2 weeks ago, think they could have messed something up?
Yes, most likely related. Maybe one of the sensors was damaged and just began to act up. Code is still probably stored and could be pulled to see what wheel is giving you the problem.
Old 08-19-12, 09:41 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SBlexus
My friend car did the same thing when his battery was going bad, he replace the battery a few weeks ago all the lights went out and the car has been fine every since.
By replacing the battery he reset the ECM. I am sure the battery itself was not causing a VSC malfunction. The speed sensors at the hub are pretty easy to damage. They are common problems on the LS's and can be replaced easily. Sometimes dirt or grime will cause the sensor to go offline to a short period of time setting the code. Resetting the ECM will clear the code and if it does not come back on don't worry till it fully malfunctions. With VSC off it just means the computer won't be able to control traction for you so slow down a little just in case you don't know how to handle the car...

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-19-12 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-19-12, 11:11 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure what causes this with the LS but with my RX it was a disconnected vacuum line that gets disconnected often when changing the air filter.
Old 08-20-12, 07:00 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran into that problem a few months ago when I was messing around under the hood. On the driver side there is a black cover next to the driver side headlight. I removed it and remover some bolts and decided not to put it back in place and started the car, it gave me that same message. So I turn the car off and put the cover back in place and started the car and it went away. I decide to see what was the cause of the VSC message so I replicated the cause and sure enough, that was it. The VSC module is probably what I was messing with that's under the black cover by the headlight assembly.

Good Luck
Old 08-20-12, 10:19 AM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
By replacing the battery he reset the ECM. I am sure the battery itself was not causing a VSC malfunction. The speed sensors at the hub are pretty easy to damage. They are common problems on the LS's and can be replaced easily. Sometimes dirt or grime will cause the sensor to go offline to a short period of time setting the code. Resetting the ECM will clear the code and if it does not come back on don't worry till it fully malfunctions. With VSC off it just means the computer won't be able to control traction for you so slow down a little just in case you don't know how to handle the car...
I didn't say oh let's unplug the battery reset and forget about it. The car turn over slow and when that happen the lights came on. After he replace the battery the lights went off, since then within the last week or so we have tried the vsc button and everything is working fine. I'm not saying all cars experience the same problem especially when things are control by computers, this is what we experience. I would recommend to anyone if your not sure take your car to the dealer and have the diagnosis the problem, you would be an idiot to ignore a serious issue like this!!!!
Old 08-20-12, 11:36 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Check the battery, mine did same exact thing and never came back once I got a new battery. Battery was indeed pretty much gone when warning light came on
Old 08-20-12, 05:56 PM
Ys88q7
Driver

Yeah I agree with Cjitty and SBlexus mine did the same thing ,might be a battery issue!
Old 08-21-12, 03:09 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default There is a code....

VSC and check engine when lit together are not literally a problem with stability control but it can be one of numerous emission system codes. The dealer will hook up the scan tool and readout the code and then clear it. A battery disconnect and reconnect can also clear codes. If the condition persists the code will repeat. Just let the technician sort it out.

Quick Reply: VSC System