LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brembo Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 01:03 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, AKEBONO invented this process (CERAMIC disk brake pads).

For me, I would not use ANY brand other than AKEBONO.

They have never disappointed me - not in stopping power, dustless action, and quiet operation.

They are a real Blessing - Less for me to worry and fuss about.

Best Wishes to all,

Mike Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA

Old 10-16-11, 05:50 PM
JG132
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read many articles concerning these brakes and the importance of the bedding in process. Decided to give it a try. Braked hard from 60 mph to 10 mph eight times in a row and then let the brakes cool. Well the grabbing and squeal noise are gone and the brakes perform much better.Hope this will last but right now I am a happy guy.
Old 10-16-11, 08:04 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a bunch of info in the ISF section. Brake squeal and high dusting are the common complaints.
Old 10-17-11, 04:51 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=JG132;6756312]Read many articles concerning these brakes and the importance of the bedding in process. Decided to give it a try. Braked hard from 60 mph to 10 mph eight times in a row and then let the brakes cool. Well the grabbing and squeal noise are gone and the brakes perform much better.Hope this will last but right now I am a happy guy.[/QUOTE

Great news. I tried the bed-in process about the same number of times and could never get rid of the noise permanently. Sometimes it went away for a few days but once they replaced my original brakes it always came back. Hope your experience is better.
Old 10-17-11, 06:17 AM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by stanatl
I guess that now I have a car suitable for my age (64), but I can tell you that I miss the Sport and how it drove/handled. I came out of a BMW 550 Sport that handled like it was on rails. I have a heavy foot and like to push my cars through twisties. No more of that for me.
Putting on the Tanabe NF210 springs will solve that..I just installed them and took my car on some twisty roads and it handles perfectly now...while cruising on highway, ride feels stock..smoooth!
Old 10-17-11, 07:15 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

What's so interesting is that with AKEBONO Ceramic Pads ..........

-- There is virtually ZERO dusting .......... At least it's removed as much as as is humanly possible,
-- You get superb stopping power,
-- and there is NO NOISE !

What else would you want ?

Brembo rotors, but Akebono CERAMIC pads.

It's the only way I go.

Best Wishes to all,

Mikey Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA

Old 10-17-11, 08:07 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Putting on the Tanabe NF210 springs will solve that..I just installed them and took my car on some twisty roads and it handles perfectly now...while cruising on highway, ride feels stock..smoooth!
Thanks for the input - I'll have to look into that. How much did they cost you?
Old 10-17-11, 03:50 PM
JG132
Driver

Originally Posted by Mikey100
What's so interesting is that with AKEBONO Ceramic Pads ..........

-- There is virtually ZERO dusting .......... At least it's removed as much as as is humanly possible,
-- You get superb stopping power,
-- and there is NO NOISE !

What else would you want ?

Brembo rotors, but Akebono CERAMIC pads.

It's the only way I go.

Best Wishes to all,

Mikey Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA

Thanks for the info

John
Old 01-16-12, 04:38 PM
JG132
Driver

Just left the Lexus dealer today concerning the brembo brake noise (squeal) with my 2011 ls460 sport. They advised of a redesigned shin for these pads and lexus is also working on a redesigned pad. They have orderd the shins and will install, under warranty. They claim this will stop the squeal. I will keep you advised.

John
Old 01-16-12, 06:34 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It will be interesting to hear if the dealer can solve your problem. My brakes are squeaking a little more but the sound still does not get inside the car with the windows closed.
Old 01-16-12, 07:25 PM
yodanadane
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 900 miles on my 2012 LS sport so far no noise , But they do have a lot of dust in the front. I did have cross drilled and slotted rotors on my Gs 430 with Semi mettalic pads and they were very noisy at low speeds. I changed them to ceramic and the noise was gone, however the rotors did create a whirling sound when stopping at higher speeds.That is one of the many reasons why i upgraded to the LS.
Old 01-16-12, 09:02 PM
rolloman
Rookie

Again, AKEBONO invented this process (CERAMIC disk brake pads).

For me, I would not use ANY brand other than AKEBONO.

They have never disappointed me - not in stopping power, dustless action, and quiet operation.

They are a real Blessing - Less for me to worry and fuss about.

Best Wishes to all,

Mike Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA

Taking your advice and replacing the OEM brakes with Akebono on my 09 LS.

Question: if I have my trusted independent mechanic/garage do the brake job, will it void my extended warranty? He's probably better than Lexus skill wise, not to mention much lower labor--$80 hour. Thanks!
Old 01-16-12, 09:09 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rolloman
Taking your advice and replacing the OEM brakes with Akebono on my 09 LS.

Question: if I have my trusted independent mechanic/garage do the brake job, will it void my extended warranty? He's probably better than Lexus skill wise, not to mention much lower labor--$80 hour. Thanks!
Absolutely not !!! Nothing to worry about whatsoever. And please note: Be careful about re-surfacing your rotors. While I and Akebono recommend this, mine looked better than any my trusted mechanic had ever seen, including factory-fresh ones. So mine was a snap-easy job, only applying the lubricant included and replacing the pads. Now all I am left with is a) Superior stopping power ... b) Great operation ...... and c) Clean, clean wheels. Similar results to the last 8 vehicles I installed AKEBONOS on.

Enjoy your new stopping power and other bennies and don't worry fer a second. And yes..... Besides the "Legal stuff," I did confirm this (first) with two different Lexus dealers and trusted Service Advisors.

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 01-16-12, 10:02 PM
rolloman
Rookie

Absolutely not !!! Nothing to worry about whatsoever. And please note: Be careful about re-surfacing your rotors. While I and Akebono recommend this, mine looked better than any my trusted mechanic had ever seen, including factory-fresh ones. So mine was a snap-easy job, only applying the lubricant included and replacing the pads. Now all I am left with is a) Superior stopping power ... b) Great operation ...... and c) Clean, clean wheels. Similar results to the last 8 vehicles I installed AKEBONOS on.

Enjoy your new stopping power and other bennies and don't worry fer a second. And yes..... Besides the "Legal stuff," I did confirm this (first) with two different Lexus dealers and trusted Service Advisors.

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
You da man Mikey. How many miles do you average between new brakes with the Akebono's? Big thanks!
Old 01-16-12, 10:13 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rolloman
You da man Mikey. How many miles do you average between new brakes with the Akebono's? Big thanks!
It's a good question. Honestly, I have never driven any AKEBONO-equipped vehicle enough miles to need to replace the pads. Hopefully someone else can jump in here and answer.

However, please know that the real answer lies in your own situation: a) How hard you 'use' (apply) your brakes; b) Your road conditions (smooth, highway, concrete, full of holes/potholes, twisty & turny, Stop & go, Highway mostly, country, city, etc). I mean where I live about all of the stopping I gotta do is where we see a deer jump out, or when an Armadillo is trying to cross the road, or when Miss Barbie's yells "STOP !" when she's in her "Retail Therapy" days. LOL !

Under good conditions, these days, in a rural situation, it does not surprise me to see a vehicle go about 100K miles before requiring new pads. But again, there can be no definitive "one answer-for-all" answer to your excellent question.

Good Luck, my Friend, and I sincerely hope you enjoy the AKEBONO benefits as much as we have and do.

Mikey Lulejian- Lake Oconee, GA

Quick Reply: Brembo Brakes