LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Instructions For The "JMcRaney Wind Noise Fix"

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 02:30 PM
cyaford
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked my car up last week from getting a few other issues looked at. They are now going to see if Lexus will prorate their "fix" for the wind noise. $1400 for something that should not be there is ridiculous. They agreed that the wind noise is much higher than what is considered within range. I mentioned I may proceed with a fix that was mentioned on the web. When I explained the JM fix, they said they could see where that would fix some of the issue, but they cautioned that without proceeding with the other included fixes that I would still have a high amount of wind noise. Part of their fix includes replacing the windows and various trim pieces. Guess I will wait and see what they say about Lexus helping me out, although I fully expect to hear the same answer I heard the last time. Even on CPO cars, the wind noise TSB is only covered on cars under the original warranty. Thanks again JM for the info on this issue.
Old 03-10-14, 04:19 PM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

What year do you have? Do you have the laminated glass? Are they recommending the seals and glass replacement? What other "trim" did they mention?
Old 03-10-14, 04:41 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
. . .Do you have the laminated glass?. . .
please correct me on this, but don't all of our cars have the laminated glass? I can roll the window down and visually see and feel the two separate panes of glass.
Old 03-10-14, 04:58 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
please correct me on this, but don't all of our cars have the laminated glass? I can roll the window down and visually see and feel the two separate panes of glass.
Your question is answered here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4137877-post443.html
Old 03-10-14, 05:57 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you! I feel embarrassed .
Old 03-12-14, 10:02 AM
cyaford
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
What year do you have? Do you have the laminated glass? Are they recommending the seals and glass replacement? What other "trim" did they mention?
2007 LS460. No, I do not have the laminated glass, although that is part of the "fix." They also said various trim and seals would also be replaced. Some of the trim includes the piece in this thread and the side trim on the outside of the windshield. They said on average, it's about a 4 hour job.
Old 03-12-14, 10:32 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They may also be replacing the rubber trim/seals at top of door/bottom of window and what's referred to as the door run seal which runs along the inside top and side of door. The window when rolled up sits into this door run seal
Old 03-12-14, 01:41 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Several years ago Lexus came out with numerous TSIBs to address the "wind noise" complaints but nothing recently. These fixes have addressed the outside rearview mirrors, door seals, window seals, body plugs, front door glass and even one addressing "crosswind noise." And, these fixes have been discussed extensively in this forum and a record of those discussion is still available to anyone. If you will read the all this stuff you will see that not a single fix by Lexus has produced any unequivocal improvement in this problem. The only thing that has worked, unequivocally, for many is the DIY repair of the triangle trim in the front corners of the front doors. I remain confident that the glass retrofit will give some improvement when everything else is in good order, especially the triangle trim.

I have tried to explain the quandary of assessing "noise in the presence of noise" several times. Here is a couple of places that might help people understand:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...all-2008s.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8063772-post100.html

Here are links to Lexus' TSIBs that are intended to deal with the wind noise issue:

http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...L-NV003-07.pdf

http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...L-NV009-07.pdf

http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...L-NV010-07.pdf

Here is a link to a much heralded wind noise fix that crashed shortly after takeoff. I think they, Lexus, will still do this to your car if you will let them. There were no reports of improvement from this and several owners opined that it detracted from the car's appearance. It is not reversible and I suggest that you proactively avoid it. Here's the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...lence-fix.html

We have had one or two inputs telling us that a new triangle trim part that came on the cars beginning with the 2013 models will solve all the wind noise problems, even in the older problem cars. I want to remind everyone that the new part is attached much the same as the old part and if the new part separates in a manner like the old part did on many cars then the cars will have the same old wind noise problem. The new part does not generate any antinoise that would address that problem.
Old 04-06-14, 07:44 PM
sarantis
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the fix yesterday and took it out for a spin this evening. Unfortunately it sounds the same. I have the '07 460L with laminated glass. I even bought the newer trip pieces with the aerodynamic fin looking things but haven't put them on yet. I understand this wouldn't make a difference from what I've read.

Are there situations where the "fix" doesn't fix it? If feel I followed them to a tee.

Thanks
Old 04-06-14, 08:50 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I understand this wouldn't make a difference from what I've read.
Depends who you believe. Some members insist this IS the fix (new trim pieces). Mcraney is not convinced. I can't comment either way, as I only did the new trim pieces with silicone and it fixed 90% of the noise. The rest comes from the non-laminated side windows I am stuck with. However, the noise is different. The laminated glass allows passing vehicle noise and road noise, such as when driving alongside a hwy divider. The WIND noise is definitely from the corner trim.

Last edited by roadfrog; 04-07-14 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-07-14, 05:32 AM
mike171333
Rookie

Default wind nose..........

I have a 2009.....I did have the dealer factory fix, then I did the Mcraney fix [with his generously supplied thin metal pieces].....the car is quiet enough when wind zero or 180 degrees....anything from the side and our CRV is quieter [albeit more road noise].. On mine, side guests are the killer! It is actually embarrassing to have to apologize to passengers.
I'll try the new trim pieces too and see if that helps.
The car is generally just what I want....but I honestly do not think I could buy another till they get their act together. A shame.....so many inexpensive rental cars that I drive seem to have less wind noise.
Mike
Old 04-07-14, 06:10 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2007 and the triangle trim fix did nothing to fix my wind noise. I agree with mike171333 - it is ridiculous that Lexus LS cars have had this problem for years. I could see one year but then it should be fixed. I have 4 cars in my family (all older and much less expensive) and none have the wind noise of my LS. By the way, I owned 430 and 400 models before the 460 and they were all very quiet. I am in the market for a newer car and I would automatically get another newer LS (i.e. 2012) but am very hesitant due to the wind noise issues.
Old 04-07-14, 06:29 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sarantis
I did the fix yesterday and took it out for a spin this evening. Unfortunately it sounds the same. I have the '07 460L with laminated glass. I even bought the newer trip pieces with the aerodynamic fin looking things but haven't put them on yet. I understand this wouldn't make a difference from what I've read.

Are there situations where the "fix" doesn't fix it? If feel I followed them to a tee.

Thanks
If you are still hearing wind from the upper portion of your windows, you might try micro tapping the power window button down to release some of the upward pressure of the window on the weather stripping. I think with age, the weather stripping hardens and does not seal as well if the window is pressed too much against it. This has worked on two different cars for me and the real solution would probably be to replace the weather stripping in addition to performing the trim piece fix. Of course, having laminated glass is a plus.
Old 04-07-14, 07:52 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
If you are still hearing wind from the upper portion of your windows, you might try micro tapping the power window.
I have found this to help, too. If I have the window all the way up, there's much more wind noise than if i tap the drivers side window down button to relieve the tension
Old 04-27-14, 03:58 PM
cyaford
Driver School Candidate

First off, a huge thank you goes to Jeff. After putting off the JM fix for a few months, I ran out of excuses and gave it a shot yesterday. The hardest part was removing the old adhesive, which was still not that difficult. My repair is far from looking "clean," but I will go back and remove the excess silicone with a toothpick before putting the trim pieces back on. A few hours ago, I took it out for a drive to listen to the results. Did the repair get rid of all of the wind noise? No, but I'd say there's at least a 90% improvement compared to before. I'm guessing it did get rid of 100% of the wind noise that was caused by the trim defect, including the areas underneath the trim. The wind noise is now no longer a distraction. Before, I would turn the radio up to avoid hearing it. The whooshing sound from passing cars is still there, but that's only because that was not related to the problem area that is now fixed. I'm thinking the double paned windows would help with that. As others have mentioned, the small amount of wind noise still present can be eliminated by quickly tapping the window switch to alleviate the window pressure. Even without tapping the window switch, the noise is now minor enough that I would consider it being nitpicky to ***** about it, where as before it was an issue that I would not expect from any manufacturer, and certainly not from Lexus. I took a few pics and will post them below. Luckily, the trim will cover my handiwork, or lack of. You can also see that I was able to pull the top piece of the trim away from the car by about 1/2" or so, without much effort. If anyone is interested, I'll post a pic next week of the finished result that will show the excess silicone removed and trim piece attached, looking just like it did from the factory.

Quick Reply: Instructions For The "JMcRaney Wind Noise Fix"