LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Chrome Wheels for the LS - Your Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 12:45 PM
Mark_Nimda
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Wheels for the LS - Your Thoughts?

My 09 LS460 has 4K mils on it. I've thought about switching the wheels. Chrome is nice but in my experience Chrome can be a hit or miss. I have had chrome that lasted and other have not. I saw these chrome fac wheels below at Lextasy. Also have considered not gettign chrome and getting some BBS's wheels at tirerack but then I have to go to 19" wheel because of the wheel's bolt 5-120 bolt pattern. That would also require switching out tires. What are your thoughts?

http://www.lextasy.com/Lexus-LS460-F...ome-Wheels.htm
Old 03-22-10, 01:40 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I have my factory wheels chromed and haven't had any problems in over 3 years. I had some on a Corvette once and had a problem with one of them.
Old 03-22-10, 01:50 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy some nice aftermarket wheels
Old 03-22-10, 01:56 PM
Mark_Nimda
Rookie

Originally Posted by Craig B
I have my factory wheels chromed and haven't had any problems in over 3 years. I had some on a Corvette once and had a problem with one of them.
Thanks Craig.

Here is the deal

I could witch out my cores for the chromes at alocallexus shop for $1900

I could purchase the same chromes at lextasy (they claim its the same but they list a 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern) for $1570 (which includes shipping)

Lextacy gives 5 year warranty but I'd much rather have Lexus do it. Ya never know what kind of hassles you will get with an after market company (been there, done that). Sometimes its not worht it. They may claim "you" damaged the wheel or some other bs excuse

The price diff is no big deal. But I would have to give up my ores if I went with lexus.

I'm just getting too tired of the plain factory wheels and I am reluctant to go to an aftermarket 19" wheel. Atleast the 18" chromes look nice and I would have a Lexus warranty (providing I give up my cores)
Old 03-22-10, 02:07 PM
Mark_Nimda
Rookie

Originally Posted by lex
buy some nice aftermarket wheels

I'm very finicky when it comes to Aftermarket wheels. I'm a big HRE fan so on the Vette I have the 547R's. But I havent seen anything that looks good on the LS, including Vossen and some of the other wheels on this site and elsewhere.

Only the BBS LM attracts me a little and I'm not sure if I want to shell out the $$$ to go to a 19" wheel and new tites. Plus, if the 19" changes the ride harshes the ride out just a tad, i would be livid. I am not into sporting the car out. I'm just tired of looking at the dull wheels
Old 03-22-10, 02:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

no matter what do NOT buy from lextasy....... that's a bad site, tons and tons of stories about them scamming people. there is a reason why they are banned here on clublexus
Old 03-22-10, 02:22 PM
Mark_Nimda
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
no matter what do NOT buy from lextasy....... that's a bad site, tons and tons of stories about them scamming people. there is a reason why they are banned here on clublexus
banned? Didnt know that. That's pretty stupid of them to get banned. Well that pretty much answers that question. Probably not a wise move anyway. Once you had 1 bad chrome experience you want to make sure you hav "Lloyds of London" coverage. If I switch out the wheels I probably will eat the cores and do it through the dealer. This is the 2cnd Lexus I have bought from them so I have a good relationship too.
Old 03-22-10, 02:49 PM
ikeb
Driver

i got my chrome wheels for a little over $600 from my lexus dealer (installed). They are the 10 spoke rims and look great.
Old 03-22-10, 02:58 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

What do you think of the Lexus 18" Teleios Alloy Wheel, Chromed available from the dealers.
Old 03-22-10, 03:11 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

FWIW, those are nice wheels when they are silver.

Otherwise in 18" on such a big body car, the chrome makes them appear to be notably smaller. Seen this at my local Lexus dealer... I would opt for aftermarket 19", again you don't want to, but i suggest it.

Ditch those dinky 18" rims.

I have no idea as to why Lexus insists on putting such small rims on these huge cars, it makes no sense.

My 2001, ES300 has 16" rims STOCK, what did the 2001 LS430 have? 16" rims...

It makes the car appear disproportionate.

Hell i would even go 20" on the LS460, even in only a 20" rim you still have plenty of meat for tires, and it would look 100x better IMO. All the while not sacrificing too much ride quality.

GL with your choice!
Old 03-22-10, 04:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_Nimda
banned? Didnt know that. That's pretty stupid of them to get banned. Well that pretty much answers that question. Probably not a wise move anyway. Once you had 1 bad chrome experience you want to make sure you hav "Lloyds of London" coverage. If I switch out the wheels I probably will eat the cores and do it through the dealer. This is the 2cnd Lexus I have bought from them so I have a good relationship too.
keep in mind, if you get wheels from dealerships, sometimes they are also done aftermarket by other companies. so quality might still vary
Old 03-22-10, 04:33 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_Nimda
Thanks Craig.

Here is the deal

I could witch out my cores for the chromes at alocallexus shop for $1900

I could purchase the same chromes at lextasy (they claim its the same but they list a 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern) for $1570 (which includes shipping)

Lextacy gives 5 year warranty but I'd much rather have Lexus do it. Ya never know what kind of hassles you will get with an after market company (been there, done that). Sometimes its not worht it. They may claim "you" damaged the wheel or some other bs excuse

The price diff is no big deal. But I would have to give up my ores if I went with lexus.

I'm just getting too tired of the plain factory wheels and I am reluctant to go to an aftermarket 19" wheel. Atleast the 18" chromes look nice and I would have a Lexus warranty (providing I give up my cores)
You can even look for factory chrome wheels on Ebay and keep your wheels.
I paid 1500.00 and traded in my cores to my Lexus dealer. That price included all the shipping and installation.

Good luck with your decision...
Old 03-22-10, 04:51 PM
Mark_Nimda
Rookie

Originally Posted by ikeb
i got my chrome wheels for a little over $600 from my lexus dealer (installed). They are the 10 spoke rims and look great.
what do the 10 spokes look like? Any Pics of your chrome wheels?

Last edited by Mark_Nimda; 03-22-10 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 04:59 PM
Mark_Nimda
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
keep in mind, if you get wheels from dealerships, sometimes they are also done aftermarket by other companies. so quality might still vary

ofcourse, but Lexus dealership warranties the wheel. Chemists wil tell you that its just a matter of time before chrome peels. It has to do with the Physics (heat) and chemical bonding. When that peel hapens is anyones guess. I've had chrome wheels last atleast 6 years (I say atleast because the were fin when I sold the car). Then I had one set t lasted 14 months

Anyway, the Lexus dealer warranties it. They wont tell me "Oh, you have to call Company C in California where they make these things and deal with them"
Old 03-22-10, 05:05 PM
Mark_Nimda
Rookie

Originally Posted by Craig B
You can even look for factory chrome wheels on Ebay and keep your wheels.
I paid 1500.00 and traded in my cores to my Lexus dealer. That price included all the shipping and installation.

Good luck with your decision...
There are many items I will buy off ebay. Wheels are no longer 1 of them. I'm sure you can get a good deal if you are willing to take the risk. But like I said, once you have a bad experience and got screwed (2 of my wheels started to peel 2 months after the year) then you arent willing to take the chance anymore. I am certain I am losing out on a deal somewhere but its no longer worth the risk to me.

Quick Reply: Chrome Wheels for the LS - Your Thoughts?