LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 10:03 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by joeyb
I just got mine back, and it's a definite improvement. The work order does not reference a TSB #. Here are the parts #.

2 757593-50010 Pad
8 75562-30070 clip
6 90269-A0006 Rivet
1 67831-50050 Cover
1 67832-50030 Cover
1 68101-50200 Glass Sub Assy
1 68102-50200 Glass Sub Assy
1 67495-50200 Cover
1 67496-50200 Cover
I think they are getting warm. The parts above, with the exception of the last two, were part of a TSB that was issued in mid 2007, applicable to 2007-Standard Wheel Base. The last two items on the list are the triangle trim pieces. I don't see any mention of sealant. I have explained several times that replacing the trim pieces would probably provide a partial solution - some improvement - but I do not believe that you can completely stop the wind noise problem without sealing those cracks and holes under the trim. I have also pointed out, see Post #442, that the tape on some of the new replacement trim pieces, and probably some of the pieces that are being used in production, seems to be very poorly attached. You may see your wind noise problem return in a big way.
Old 02-28-09, 10:14 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Although it says nothing about sealant on the Work Order, I think they did use something because the car was done yesterday but they said I could not get it until this morning and there was some black residue in the triangles. Also, when I tap on the traingles, they sound completely solid.

Jeff, we all owe you a lot.

Joe
Old 02-28-09, 10:23 AM
jmcraney

Default A New Owner Review On Yahoo

Here is a new owner review that just appeared on Yahoo.com. It is a little ambiguous because it appears in the 09 LS460 thread, but the reviewer says that he is talking about an LS600h. If you notice in the Cons, he cites "breaks (sic), and wind noise." I bet he would have been a happy owner if not for that wind noise - it sort of makes you crazy.

http://autos.yahoo.com/2009_lexus_ls...4&trimId=26058

Here is what he had to say:

Quote:
Not a good car in my oppinion

by A Yahoo! Autos User
on 02/27/2009
Overall 1 stars
Value 1 stars
Reliability 1 stars
Trim Reviewed
460 L AWD

Pros Smooth drive
Cons breaks, wind noise
Purchased As New

LS600h It is a very nice car, but not a drivers car like the Germans make. BMW 7 Series it is truly the best handling car on the road. But the truly the benchmark of luxury it has to be Mercedes Benz S Class. What a remarkable car, the epitome sophistication and more. I have a 1997 S Class with 325000 miles and only regular service done to it. Bought a new lexus and have been very disappointed with it. I'm now a proud owner of a 2009 S Class 550 and love it.
End Quote
Old 02-28-09, 10:31 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by joeyb
Although it says nothing about sealant on the Work Order, I think they did use something because the car was done yesterday but they said I could not get it until this morning and there was some black residue in the triangles. Also, when I tap on the traingles, they sound completely solid.

Jeff, we all owe you a lot.

Joe
Joe,

Thank you for your feed back. I hope that this is an indication that Lexus finally GETS IT! and this does sound very encouraging. Please let us know what you think after you have driven your car for a few days. I think you are going to be very pleased and feel like you are driving a different car.

Regards,

Jeff
Old 02-28-09, 11:09 AM
ls460love
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so happy to hear this. I am holding strong for the right solution rather than the quick one... I think Lexus has had more than enough time to figure this out. In the meantime I'll continue raising the radio volume to make driving more enjoyable...
Old 02-28-09, 11:13 AM
jmcraney

Default Getting The News Out

A few weeks ago I sent an email to our local auto columnist, Terry Box, suggesting that he read our Lexus LS Wind Noise discussion thread.

Here is a link to an article that appeared in the Dallas Morning News a few weeks ago.

Thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion. You have helped bring silence to a lot silent LS owners too.

Here is the link:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.4bfbb9b.html
Old 03-01-09, 06:05 PM
Mike_in_DTW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise

I've been reading the various posts about wind noise on LS460's for more than a year now. I recently traded my 06 LS430 on a new 08 LS460L. While I don't have a "whistling noise" like others have reported, I do feel there is more wind noise in 08 than in the 06 it replaced. I also feel the power of suggestion is strong, so I can't rule out that I may be imagining more wind noise in the 08 than in the 06. I think in my case the wind noise is actually turbulence. I've noticed that the A pillars are a completely different design and there is a deep recess at the base of the windshield. I've also noticed that the A pillars form a sort of channel that extends up into the roof. As I recall, the windshield on the 06 was fitted in a more conventional (flat) manner and there weren't any deep recesses and the A pillar didn't extended into the roof as it does on the new car. Could this be part of the reason so many owners of the new body style are complaining about wind noise? Had I not owned an 06 LS430, I probably wouldn't think anything of the wind noise I am hearing, but after reading so many posts about wind noise and comparing the new car to the one it replaced, I think the 06 was actually quiter on the freeway.

Last edited by Mike_in_DTW; 03-01-09 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 03:55 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I totally agree with your comments. I too had a 2006 LS430 and have found that the ride and noise suppression were superior in the LS430. The 2008 LS460 I purchased has the double pane glass in driver's and passenger's windows. I drove it before signing the deal and found no objectionable wind noise; however, I do believe that the LS430 was quieter and the ride was better on city streets with imperfections in the surfaces. I also experienced an objectionable glare in the rear window when going away from the sun. I had not experienced this in the LS430. I had the windows tinted to cut down on the glare in the rear window. It helps somewhat.
Old 03-04-09, 07:56 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RGSW
I also experienced an objectionable glare in the rear window when going away from the sun. I had not experienced this in the LS430. I had the windows tinted to cut down on the glare in the rear window. It helps somewhat.
Even with the rear sun shade raised up?

Whit
Old 03-04-09, 10:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

My mom LOVES the rear sun shades, she said it's perfect when she wants to take a nap on her way home after eating out
Old 03-04-09, 11:10 AM
garyr
Pole Position

If you notice the black triangle is were the side mirror used to be. The cover with poor adhesive tape did not seal that spot and to cover such huge holes that protrude into the car was a major oversight on Lexus's part.

HUGE thanks to Jeff McRaney to not only diagnose this problem which is a feet in itself but to come up with a fix, document it and share it with everyone is short of remarkable. The article that was written about him and what he did I think that is a great tribute to him, but does not go far enough.

I would have sold my car if it were not because of him.

A windnoise problem:

Billion dollar car company ....it took one man with a butter knife.
Old 03-04-09, 03:13 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

"HUGE thanks to Jeff McRaney to not only diagnose this problem which is a feet in itself but to come up with a fix, document it and share it with everyone is short of remarkable. The article that was written about him and what he did I think that is a great tribute to him, but does not go far enough."

I "second that emotion"!!!!
Old 03-04-09, 06:47 PM
mr29rose
Pole Position

got lexus to do the tsib for the wind noise on my 07 ls460l executive. of course wind noise iss till there.

i used some tape on the triangle piece and noticed the noise went away significantly. so the only noise i hear is turbulence or wind shear which i guess is normal. even though i think the car should be sound proofed enough not to hear that either.

i gotta get rid of that noise. i guess i have to do the triangle piece fix or wait for replacement triangles from lexus?
Old 03-05-09, 09:59 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by mr29rose
got lexus to do the tsib for the wind noise on my 07 ls460l executive. of course wind noise iss till there.

i used some tape on the triangle piece and noticed the noise went away significantly. so the only noise i hear is turbulence or wind shear which i guess is normal. even though i think the car should be sound proofed enough not to hear that either.

i gotta get rid of that noise. i guess i have to do the triangle piece fix or wait for replacement triangles from lexus?
mr29rose,

It sounds like you have made a couple of breakthroughs. First, you now realize that you have exhausted your options with Lexus for help with your wind noise problem (there are rumors of something-to-come but so far nothing). Just replacing the triangle trim with new pieces will not likely provide either a complete solution or a permanent solution. I have suggested, others have suggested and tried, and I think the consensus is that something different must be done for complete and long term relief of the wind noise.

The second thing is that you have satisfied yourself, by taping the triangle trim area, that your wind wind noise can be reduced. Good for you!! For others who are following this discussion, I would like to remind you that others have tried the taping trick with no improvement and they went on to do the triangle trim repair that has been discussed in this thread and reported complete elimination of their wind noise. So, don't be misled if you have tried the tape and didn't get an improvement. WhitBaby told us about this back in Post #142 in this thread.

I have suggested a repair, beginning at Post #406 in this thread, that is likely to produce very good results for you. It is a DIY procedure, but if you are not a DIYer you could probably get it done at a body-shop/collision-repair business. If you decide you want to do the DIY fix on your car and would like to have a couple of the sheet metal patches you can contact me, via the PM feature, and I will send them to you via USPS mail. I can also send you some higher resolution pictures of the repair instructions via email.

Regards,

Jeff
Old 03-05-09, 06:24 PM
ls460maste
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jeff,

It been 3 weeks only now since I bought my 07 ls460 gulf specs.

I can hear the wind noise over 120 km speed but I thought it is normal till I read this post.

I have contacted the dealer here in Qatar and they confirmed to me this thing and said that they can apply a kit which can improve it but will not remove the noise completely and that I will still hear the noise again.

I am very disappointed about it.

I am thinking to try your last improved solution in post #406 but I don't have the galvanized metal or the clear sealant.
What I can use instead? Or where I can get these things?
UAE,

Since you are in the same region, what did you used?

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)