LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Paint chip problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 04:53 PM
dlovato
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint chip problem?

I've been away from the forum for a while - busy with other things.

I've had my LS 600hL since October, and I've had more paint chips happen that I thought was reasonable. I don't drive in construction zones, follow too closely behind cars, etc. Is anyone else having this happen to them?

All of the chips that are happening are in "weird" places - one on top of the hood, the other behind the rear passenger door on the drivers side etc.

It almost seems like the paint was applied too thickly on a non-stable primer - the chips are really deep.

Anyone else having this problem? I have less than 4000 miles on it.

- Darryl
Old 02-15-08, 04:57 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hmmm i've heard of paint chipping from the newer gen GS...but LS too? I guess lexus paint just not what it used to be.

i'd take it to the dealership and have them look at it...i'm sure you'll be well taken care of, especially with an ls600h
Old 02-15-08, 05:24 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't had a problem so far. I do a fair bit of driving through construction/road works that have been going on around my house for the past 2 months.
Old 02-15-08, 05:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm, hood i can understand, side of the car that's rare. i don't have anything yet, knock on wood

lexus paint is for sure on the softer side, comparing to say audi or mb.
Old 02-15-08, 08:38 PM
dlovato
Driver School Candidate

The weird part about what I've run into is the chips are really "deep".

It's like there is 1/16th to 1/8" in of black paint (my car is Obsidian) that chips away, leaving the primer under it exposed. It's seems like the top coat of paint is really brittle, and maybe too "thick".

Living in CA, and the weather not getting under feezing, I doubt it is a cold/warm problem.

I'm not sure what do do about it - the car has been VERY well taken care of - it had the Lexus external protection applied - basically their really good wax/armor coating, and I have basically kept it spotless, and re-waxed it every two weeks.

I've had much "cheaper" cars - and never had this happen to them - driving in the same area - even with 50x the milage. Something seems "wrong".

- Darryl
Old 02-15-08, 10:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm, well sounds like you take care of your car very nicely. However, there's only so much one can do, and some imperfections will crop up over time--although you are the judge of what's reasonable. As an aside, I wonder if it has to do with the size/shape of the car and how 'projectiles' impact/angles etc.?
Old 02-22-08, 08:16 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've had the roof of my car chipped too and surprises me that rocks fly up that high.

almost makes you think clear bra'ing the whole car is worth it.
Old 02-22-08, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by cliffud
i've had the roof of my car chipped too and surprises me that rocks fly up that high.

almost makes you think clear bra'ing the whole car is worth it.
happened on my gs400 indeed, saw a rock flew towards me and chipped the roof. amazing
Old 02-23-08, 05:42 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a rock chip on the rear passenger side door of my GS400 right now. I was driving from San Diego to Los Angeles on Interstate 5, when I heard a rock hit the car. I assumed it was near the windshield, but it actually hit the car from the SIDE.

It hit hard in one place, and skimmed along the door before careening off. I have 8 to 10 skim marks just past the major impact area.

That door will have to be totally repainted at a cost of $1200.00.

That is expensive!
Old 02-23-08, 08:01 PM
rajwany
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlovato
I've been away from the forum for a while - busy with other things.

I've had my LS 600hL since October, and I've had more paint chips happen that I thought was reasonable. I don't drive in construction zones, follow too closely behind cars, etc. Is anyone else having this happen to them?

All of the chips that are happening are in "weird" places - one on top of the hood, the other behind the rear passenger door on the drivers side etc.

It almost seems like the paint was applied too thickly on a non-stable primer - the chips are really deep.

Anyone else having this problem? I have less than 4000 miles on it.

- Darryl
sorry to hear about this, really sad. u should pursue the dealership, iam sure if it is a defect they will fix it. u might have to raise a little hell maybe at the dealer. good luck
Old 02-28-08, 09:11 PM
fteiii
Driver School Candidate

Default Fragile paint

If I could cover my 460 in the clear protectant, I'd do it. Paint chips the size of a match head in places not in the on coming air stream. Very strange.
Old 02-29-08, 05:32 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This sounds like Lexus has acquired some defective paint that has been used on some LS460's. I monitor automotive forums for Mercedes, BMW and Cadillac and don't see this problem mentioned on any of the other forums. I know all manufactures were mandated to use softer paints due to environmental restrictions several years ago, but I think the problems we are seeing with the LS460 are unique. Lexus needs to accept responsibility for this and fix it.
Old 02-29-08, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rjm
This sounds like Lexus has acquired some defective paint that has been used on some LS460's. I monitor automotive forums for Mercedes, BMW and Cadillac and don't see this problem mentioned on any of the other forums. I know all manufactures were mandated to use softer paints due to environmental restrictions several years ago, but I think the problems we are seeing with the LS460 are unique. Lexus needs to accept responsibility for this and fix it.
i see "soft paint complaint" in other forums like gs and is as well. lexus paint are softer than other manufacturers in general, especially when compared to mb or audi

i heard they are going to change the paint formula next year to make it harder like mb, we will see if that's the case
Old 02-29-08, 11:21 AM
grda
Driver School Candidate

Anyone in Philly area? Interested in getting the clear bra for a good price. Didn't know if there are any worth taking my LS to.