LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lojack Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-07, 11:59 AM
fxpguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lojack Installation

Does anyone know how lojack is installed in our LS 460?
Old 03-02-07, 01:23 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fxpguy
Does anyone know how lojack is installed in our LS 460?
Is Lojack even necessary with a NAV system?
Old 03-03-07, 09:37 AM
Phil
Driver

Default LoJack

I don't know that "Lojack" is installed. Everthing, I think would be in the Nav system. If somehow, some way, your Lex got stolen, you simply call Lexus and they will find it immediately. Just as if you were driving it and ask for directions, they can tell where you are, exactly. They will then call the closest Cop Shop, and Bingo, you get your prized possession back. (no high speed pursuits please).

Phil, Grants Pass, OR
Old 03-03-07, 10:25 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default NAV receives but does not transmit location

NAV as a general rule does not transmit location. If your LS is equipped with Lexus Link, then that's a different story and indeed Lexus Link can track it for you. Otherwise, LoJack can still be useful as the NAV by itself won't do the job.

Last edited by caha14; 03-03-07 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-03-07, 08:07 PM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Lexus Link is free for 1 year and it can track your car. I called a couple of times and both times they started the conversation by greeting me and saying my location which is a little weird.

If the car is stolen, I guess you can call them and they can tell the police where the car is.

I do not think the nav system has anything to do with it.
Old 03-04-07, 09:56 AM
Barrynsh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are significant differences between LoJack and Lexus Link. If your car is stolen and all you have is Lexus link, you have to call Lexus link, they have to call the local police. The local police cannot track the car but have to go thru Lexus link to follow the car. Also Lexus link requires having a functioning battery in the car. Keep in mind that professional car thieves do not return the car directly to their operation headquaters or chop shop but rather park it in an intermediate location and inactivate the battery. This is because they don't know if you have LoJack or not and do not want to lead the police to their shop.

On other hand, LoJack is always in a receive mode and although it requires battery power, it has its own backup battery if the main batter should be sabatoged. Instead of calling Lexus link you just call the local police department and they activate a signal that turns on the Lojack. Local police cars are equipped with LoJack sensors and can find your vehicle, usually within 24 hours before the vehicle is taken to the next location where it is either shipped out or broken apart.

The two systems are additive because not all areas of the country can sense LoJack but in the metropolitan areas where LoJack can be sensed, it is more efficient and more reliable.

Last edited by Barrynsh; 03-04-07 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-07, 10:17 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

I don't believe Lexus or any other company will track your vehicle simply by calling them.

Typically a police report is required. This is to avoid issues like jealous spouses tracking their partners whereabouts.

Keep in mind it may be several hours or days before you realize your car was stolen. The system only works if you detect the theft rather quickly.

Your best best bet is to install a pager system that notifies you if your car moves.
Old 03-04-07, 10:29 AM
Barrynsh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=sdbrandon;2462756]I don't believe Lexus or any other company will track your vehicle simply by calling them.

QUOTE]

First of all, it is my understanding that Lexus Link is actually On-STAR. One of their features is that they track stolen vehicles. You are right about not being able to track your family, but to get around that, Lexus Link notifies the police directly and communicates with the police as to the location of your car. It would be illegal for you to report the car stolen unless it actually was so I doubt 'anybody' would use the police to track their spouse.

Having the car notify your beeper that it has been moved is a nice addition to the system, but after that you have to either notify Lexus Link and have them call and work with the police or call the police yourself and have them activate LoJack.

By the way, tracking your children or other family members on your own computer is possible with commercially available programs and tracking devices that are designed for the end-user.

Last edited by Barrynsh; 03-04-07 at 10:30 AM. Reason: sp