LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Brake Actuator installed, not clearing codes......

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-23, 12:35 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default New Brake Actuator installed, not clearing codes......

I have an independent mechanic install a used OEM brake actuator I purchased. He bled the brakes, ran it through Techstream, codes didn't clear.

Figuring it was a bad brake actuator, I purchased a brand new one, mechanic installed, codes STILL not cleared. On top of that, there is an audible beeping noise that happens periodically.

Has anyone heard of this happening before?

I'm $2,500 in the hole with ABS codes not clearing.
Old 12-24-23, 12:53 AM
BB9
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Did you use your VIN when ordered those actuators? There are numerous variations and they have to be exact match to your car. It is possible to buy that actuator for your year and model and still get the wrong one. Also, there are few different software options.
The following 2 users liked this post by BB9:
swfla (12-24-23), XF40FSPORT (12-24-23)
Old 12-24-23, 11:25 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BB9
Did you use your VIN when ordered those actuators? There are numerous variations and they have to be exact match to your car. It is possible to buy that actuator for your year and model and still get the wrong one. Also, there are few different software options.
I did use my VIN. Bought the new one on ebay but it was through Bell Lexus in Scottsdale. Dealership.

Side note: TPMS sensor light came on too, probably not connected but worth mentioning.

I did not know there were different variations, haven't seen that in the search on this forum.

I guess I'll bite the bullet and take it into Lexus.

Old 12-24-23, 11:48 AM
miket000
Instructor

Received 498 Likes on 310 Posts

Last post, bye all

Last edited by miket000; 12-24-23 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-24-23, 12:32 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 559 Likes on 392 Posts

Gentlemen! Too much. We have NO data whatsoever. What codes? What year even? What module was installed? It's part no? Pictures of anything?
Let's ask questions first, theories later.
Merry Christmas everybody!
Old 12-25-23, 10:40 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boykie
Gentlemen! Too much. We have NO data whatsoever. What codes? What year even? What module was installed? It's part no? Pictures of anything?
Let's ask questions first, theories later.
Merry Christmas everybody!
You are so right. I am no car guy but no excuse. I left out important info. I apologize.

2007 LS460.
ABS lights showed up on instrument cluster. Very common issue on LS460.
Scanned by mechanic. It's a bad brake actuator.

Replaced actuator twice and the ABS warning lights still show up.

UPDATE:

I have since talked to a Lexus mechanic about it. He basically said the mechanic must perform a "linear valve offset" after bleeding the brakes through Techstream "in order for codes (warning lights) to go away." He said to take it in to a Lexus, have them run a diagnostic, they will probably bleed the brakes and if that doesn't clear it, try to sell me a new actuator.

Last edited by Sportznuts; 12-25-23 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-26-23, 07:30 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,211 Likes on 958 Posts

It's sounds like Lexus mechanic is saying the shop who did the work, didn't finish the job correctly. Have you talked to the shop with this "accusation" yet? They should stand behind their work. Is this a case of "if you think a pro is expensive, see how much an amateur costs you in the end"? There are indie shops who are competent in Lexus. I do wish you a full resolution at the least cost.
The following users liked this post:
Boomin (12-26-23)
Old 12-27-23, 02:28 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swfla
It's sounds like Lexus mechanic is saying the shop who did the work, didn't finish the job correctly. Have you talked to the shop with this "accusation" yet? They should stand behind their work. Is this a case of "if you think a pro is expensive, see how much an amateur costs you in the end"? There are indie shops who are competent in Lexus. I do wish you a full resolution at the least cost.
The indie shop did the intial work. The Lexus mechanic I talked to is a friend if mine. My mechanic who did the work is refunding me a good amount. I'm just worried now, when Lexus looks at it, bleeds the brakes. If it doesn't clear the codes, I'm putting a potentially crazy amount to get this resolved.

I'll update after taking the car into Lexus on Saturday. I'm pretty nervous. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 12-27-23, 03:33 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Everything sounds good so far. Hoping a proper Techstream session will solve the issue. So many repairs on Lexus require Techstrean software to complete the job.

Last edited by swfla; 12-27-23 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-02-24, 01:47 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

What a nightmare.

Old 01-02-24, 02:00 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,150 Likes on 854 Posts

Typical. That's why many here say to replace everything, if it's ran a long time with the actuator bad it kills everything else.
Old 01-02-24, 02:06 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Too bad it turned out to be a second component as well. You had no idea, that happens to members here as well. Hope it's smooth braking from here on out. Glad you shared the outcome.
Old 01-02-24, 03:56 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
I have an independent mechanic install a used OEM brake actuator I purchased. He bled the brakes, ran it through Techstream, codes didn't clear.

Figuring it was a bad brake actuator, I purchased a brand new one, mechanic installed, codes STILL not cleared. On top of that, there is an audible beeping noise that happens periodically.

Has anyone heard of this happening before?

I'm $2,500 in the hole with ABS codes not clearing.

I had got a letter in the mail from Lexus regarding the ABS. It said if the ABS light is on, then to bring it in to get checked and they will repair it free of charge but if the sensor is showing due to something else then the repairs would not be covered.

I brought it in and they told me that it is covered and they will repair it, but warned me after they repaired it, the ABS light can still come on, and if it does, it is the ABS fuse. They said since the ABS light is on, the system would still run and can cause a failure on the fuse, but would have to replace the whole Junction Fuse box, and this will not be covered. They said this has happened to a few people already.

I just got the call today and they said that its been repaired, but the light came back on and i would have to replace the Junction Fuse box and charged $800 for the part and Labor
Old 01-02-24, 05:03 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

A cautionary tale for others. it ain't always over after a repair. Thank goodness we don't hear this a lot.
Old 01-02-24, 06:10 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swfla
Too bad it turned out to be a second component as well. You had no idea, that happens to members here as well. Hope it's smooth braking from here on out. Glad you shared the outcome.
Yes. It's rare this the 2nd component fails, have never seen anyone mention it on the forum before but haven't done a search on it. Just bad luck. My car is worth $8k and just spent $5k on repairs. Hoping I get my car back tomorrow and it's as good as new. Only 140,000 miles on it. Just broken in. Thanks for being there with me through. That's why I love this forum. Feels like we're all in it together.
The following users liked this post:
superdenso (01-10-24)

Quick Reply: New Brake Actuator installed, not clearing codes......