LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Keys not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-23, 03:27 PM
jmcraney

Received 257 Likes on 197 Posts

I am trying to read the owner’s manual as regards the Customizable Features. It seems that the instructions are somewhat different depending on whether it has the Nav Sys or not. I’ll look at it some more.
Old 08-19-23, 03:49 PM
Gerf
Racer

Received 712 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Zetascry
Btw I did find a code P1064 -could it be due to battery being low? I reset the code and it didn’t show up so far
Was it P1604 maybe?
Old 08-20-23, 09:21 AM
Wlmitty
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Try this reset procedure.

Get out of the vehicle.
Lock the car with the emergency key on the driver’s door.
Leave the vehicle parked for at least 5 minutes.Walk away 20ft minimum with fob.
Press unlock on the key-fob to unlock the car. Don’t open any doors yet.
Remove the emergency key from the key fob and lock/unlock the driver’s door three times.
Now enter the vehicle and start the engine. press the start button with your key-fob, not your finger.
Old 08-20-23, 09:42 AM
Wlmitty
Driver

Oh yeah. If the fob wont unlock the doors then try this relearn procedure..
You need a paper clip small one. Bend it in a U shape about 1/4 inch or so wide.
Look for your OBD port under dash and insert clip into pins 4 and 13. Pin 4 is on top row from left to right.
Pin 13 is straight down next row and over one to the right.
Push start button to on position but don't touch brake pedal.
Leave this on for 30 minutes with fob in vehicle and then shut off. Remove paper clip.
Start car and all should work again.
Old 08-20-23, 10:44 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts

No. 30min procedure is nothing to do with fobs. And it's quite dangerous without prior experience.
Old 08-20-23, 06:26 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
Was it P1604 maybe?
yes that was the code , what’s it mean?
Old 08-20-23, 06:31 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Wlmitty
Try this reset procedure.

Get out of the vehicle.
Lock the car with the emergency key on the driver’s door.
Leave the vehicle parked for at least 5 minutes.Walk away 20ft minimum with fob.
Press unlock on the key-fob to unlock the car. Don’t open any doors yet.
Remove the emergency key from the key fob and lock/unlock the driver’s door three times.
Now enter the vehicle and start the engine. press the start button with your key-fob, not your finger.
I will try but key fob does not lock or unlock or even recognized when near the vehicle
Oh yeah. If the fob wont unlock the doors then try this relearn procedure..
You need a paper clip small one. Bend it in a U shape about 1/4 inch or so wide.
Look for your OBD port under dash and insert clip into pins 4 and 13. Pin 4 is on top row from left to right.
Pin 13 is straight down next row and over one to the right.
Push start button to on position but don't touch brake pedal.
Leave this on for 30 minutes with fob in vehicle and then shut off. Remove paper clip.
Start car and all should work again.
what’s the paperclip procedure for? To reset the fob keys?
Originally Posted by Boykie
No. 30min procedure is nothing to do with fobs. And it's quite dangerous without prior experience.
What is this procedure?
I’m so confused but still yet to unplug battery from car for 30 min and during this time will be charging battery up to full power then reconnect battery and try the keys
Old 08-20-23, 07:09 PM
Gerf
Racer

Originally Posted by Zetascry
yes that was the code , what’s it mean?
It's usually low battery voltage.

Old 08-20-23, 07:35 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

It's usually low battery voltage.
could that be reason sensors aren’t picking up key fob?
Old 08-20-23, 07:39 PM
Gerf
Racer

Pins 4 and 13 are for determining transmission fluid temp when TS isn't available so you will know when to check the fluid level so it's a self diagnostic function, I've read here that some people use it for initializing electric parking brakes and now for initializing key fobs.

That may be possible but when using it for trans temp there is a little procedure before it will go into that mode...I doubt you can just plug a jumper in and it will decide what you need to get done.

Old 08-20-23, 07:42 PM
Gerf
Racer

Battery voltage can cause all kinds of problems.
Old 08-20-23, 08:01 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Pins 4 and 13 are for determining transmission fluid temp when TS isn't available so you will know when to check the fluid level so it's a self diagnostic function, I've read here that some people use it for initializing electric parking brakes and now for initializing key fobs.

That may be possible but when using it for trans temp there is a little procedure before it will go into that mode...I doubt you can just plug a jumper in and it will decide what you need to get done.
Is it Risky procedure? I will definitely charge up the battery to see if that’s the issue here
Old 08-21-23, 08:52 PM
Wlmitty
Driver

HI Gerf I never knew there were other uses for that jumper as you mentioned. I had only heard of getting fobs and transponder keys to work again.
Good to know. This also works on Toyota's as well. A friend has a 2013 Avalon and he replaced the cars battery and for some reason his fobs wouldn't work afterwards and this method got his working again. What I don't understand is why this happens to some and not to others?
Ive had Toyota's for years and luckily I guess have never had it happen to me.
And I don't know if its risky. I was there when we did this on the Avalon and nothing bad happened and it cured the problem.
I do wonder what exactly is going on during that 30 minute time. Maybe someone here knows?
Old 08-22-23, 07:19 AM
Gerf
Racer

I do wonder what exactly is going on during that 30 minute time. Maybe someone here knows?
I don't believe that running a jumper between these pins will do anything without some input from the person working on the vehicle, the only example I can think of that would is back in the day connecting T-E1 or TE1-E1 on earlier OBD cars to read codes. I wouldn't want to jump any connectors in the DLC without knowing exactly what it will do and any other inputs I might need to do...experimenting there is not a good idea.

​​​​​

Old 08-22-23, 12:00 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,220 Likes on 966 Posts

Getting away from discussions, going to a locksmith, paying for one reprogram and potentially doing the same yourself for the second key is most likely to resolve your issue. Personally, after 5 pages of suggestions and discussion, I'd just pay the fee and be done with this situation. But you're free to keep hoping for a free fix.
The following users liked this post:
Boykie (08-22-23)

Quick Reply: Keys not working