LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Keys not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-23, 05:45 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
is this “re-seeding” it looks like adding additional keys - I assumed “re-seeding” was deleting original key then re-adding it to system as to refresh the system

Originally Posted by miket000
I've used 4 different versions of the cheap techstreams available on ebay / amazon. The key section in techstream functions fine on them.

If you decided to change the computer. I can message you a seed code if needed. I have a few I'll probably never use. If you already have a key that will start the car you won't need a seed code to simply add another key.
I Appreciate the generous offer - will keep that in mind but hopefully won’t need it. The car only starts when Lexus emblem on key fob is placed directly over start button and brake pedal depresses
Originally Posted by Gerf
Did you ever try putting the old battery in and see if that did anything?? doesn't make sense that putting a new battery in the fob would do this.

Why don't you try going through the registration for a new key...you said the spare didn't do anything right, can't hurt to try. I've only programmed one new key and a card key for mine but I'd be trying everything before spending any amount of money.

There is a key diagnosis in TS smart access but I've never used that function.
The old battery completely died- was unable to access vehicle or lock or unlock at all..this is where I believe the problem started

new key fobs going for $260 plus tax

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Can you share with us the Year - Make - Model of the car we are discussing in this thread?
2014 Lexus LS 460 F-Sport
Old 08-18-23, 06:01 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,220 Likes on 966 Posts

I could have been more specific. What I thought would point you in the right direction was the single instruction of going to the Wireless Tab in TS. There should be instructions for each procedure listed, You may need to click on each procedure, read and move on to the next one before finding the right operation. I have no idea if reseeding is what you need. Based on the offer of a member to send you reseeding code and you saying you won't need it, I wonder if there isn't another procedure that will be more appropriate. Maybe my thinking is flawed but I wouldn't blindly follow the dealers diagnosis over the phone. If it's not clear to you, I don't know exactly what to do. I'll still try to think this out with you but you should do some online research on TS website and some other creative searches for clues and ideas. Unless someone here posts better info. As you have two keys and can still start the car, it seems you have little to lose by trying to get one key up and running by bravely plugging your laptop into your car.
Another suggestion is the locksmith route, pay for one key fix and ask if he will let you watch the procedure. Then do the second one yourself.
Did you check the coin batteries for voltage readings as mentioned by another poster?

Last edited by swfla; 08-18-23 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-18-23, 06:33 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

The comments on this video indicate it works on many cars incl Toyota. Worth a watch and try it out.
I don't know if there's a hidden ignition key slot. I've never seen it mentioned in the forum.

Last edited by swfla; 08-18-23 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-18-23, 08:51 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 498 Likes on 310 Posts

Techstream has an option to test the fob location sensors in the car. You may want to start there but if your fobs are no good it's not going to tell you much.

4 years ago I flipped a car that would only start with the fob up against the start button. If I remember correctly a new battery in the fob fixed that issue. Replacement fobs are pretty cheap for 2013 models $60. If it were me I'd start there. You don't necessarily need to get the blade cut. If the ebay fob fixes the issue use your old blade in the new fob. Our local locksmith charges $35 to cut them. Programming the new key using techstream is pretty straight forward. It'll walk you step by step.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394021118657

I just read the reviews. One of the reviews is similar to your issue. I'm not sure if the fob is a good option now.

Last edited by miket000; 08-18-23 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-18-23, 09:04 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

The comments on this video indicate it works on many cars incl Toyota. Worth a watch and try it out. https://youtu.be/VXa0FLJW4k0 I don't know if there's a hidden ignition key slot. I've never seen it mentioned in the forum.
I tried this process already, I need to find something similar to this..there should be one for Lexus if there’s one for Toyota - only thing is Toyota reprogram mentions physical key that I plug into the ignition and I cannot follow that step due to Push Start
Old 08-18-23, 09:06 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by miket000
Techstream has an option to test the fob location sensors in the car. You may want to start there but if your fobs are no good it's not going to tell you much.

4 years ago I flipped a car that would only start with the fob up against the start button. If I remember correctly a new battery in the fob fixed that issue. Replacement fobs are pretty cheap for 2013 models $60. If it were me I'd start there. You don't necessarily need to get the blade cut. If the ebay fob fixes the issue use your old blade in the new fob. Our local locksmith charges $35 to cut them. Programming the new key using techstream is pretty straight forward. It'll walk you step by step.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394021118657

I just read the reviews. One of the reviews is similar to your issue. I'm not sure if the fob is a good option now.
I did test the fob and it only works at sensor location (Push to Start) where it beeps to signal that it is functioning other sensors are only overhead sensors which I do not exact location to in order to hold key fob close to their proximity
Old 08-18-23, 09:07 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

I could have been more specific. What I thought would point you in the right direction was the single instruction of going to the Wireless Tab in TS. There should be instructions for each procedure listed, You may need to click on each procedure, read and move on to the next one before finding the right operation. I have no idea if reseeding is what you need. Based on the offer of a member to send you reseeding code and you saying you won't need it, I wonder if there isn't another procedure that will be more appropriate. Maybe my thinking is flawed but I wouldn't blindly follow the dealers diagnosis over the phone. If it's not clear to you, I don't know exactly what to do. I'll still try to think this out with you but you should do some online research on TS website and some other creative searches for clues and ideas. Unless someone here posts better info. As you have two keys and can still start the car, it seems you have little to lose by trying to get one key up and running by bravely plugging your laptop into your car.
Another suggestion is the locksmith route, pay for one key fix and ask if he will let you watch the procedure. Then do the second one yourself.
Did you check the coin batteries for voltage readings as mentioned by another poster?
I have an idea which will try tomorrow or soon…
I don’t have a voltage tester but changed with 4 new batteries I doubt all 4 new batteries were bad..
The following users liked this post:
swfla (08-18-23)
Old 08-18-23, 09:58 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 498 Likes on 310 Posts

This might have been mentioned before but you might try disconnecting your car battery for an hour or so. Or maybe your key fob batteries are in backwards?

It is my understanding once a fob is programmed to a car it cannot be programmed to another car without some virginizing vudo. You likely cannot remove a key and immediately add it again. There are companies you can mail your fob or fobs to and have them reset as new ( virginize). I think your fobs would need to be reset in order to program them to your car again. I'm assuming somehow the car lost their ID's, at least the sensor location portion of the key.

Programming them to your car is all done within techstream immobilizer / security section. It's easy to do. I've done 6 or so. I've only done 2008 and older. 2013 might be slightly different. I had no prior experience, just started clicking away. You can attempt to add your current fobs. It'll likely give you an error or perhaps say already programmed.

Old 08-19-23, 08:03 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Great. Now, in TS, go to wireless tab, then choose immobilizer/security. Try one key, if successful, do the second.
Old 08-19-23, 08:52 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 708 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Zetascry
I did test the fob and it only works at sensor location (Push to Start) where it beeps to signal that it is functioning other sensors are only overhead sensors which I do not exact location to in order to hold key fob close to their proximity
If you've tested one location then you should have seen the other locations on the same screen, I doubt that is your problem though.

I've never seen a "wireless" tab, where exactly is that located?
Old 08-19-23, 09:16 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I don't know, it's mentioned in a link I posted #41 for the OP. Maybe old version of TS or just bad info.
Old 08-19-23, 12:15 PM
Gerf
Racer

Received 708 Likes on 525 Posts

Maybe just another terminology thing
The following users liked this post:
swfla (08-19-23)
Old 08-19-23, 02:28 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Guys can I Erase the keys and then add them back to the car? I have not disconnected the battery yet..will try this out as well

Do you think the vehicle “immobilized” itself when the battery remote completely died? As to protect itself from unauthorized access? Lol idk if this is a thing

Btw I did find a code P1064 -

could it be due to battery being low? I reset the code and it didn’t show up so far
Old 08-19-23, 02:58 PM
jmcraney

Received 257 Likes on 197 Posts

Is your vehicle equipped with a Navigation System?
Old 08-19-23, 03:03 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Is your vehicle equipped with a Navigation System?
yes it is, why?

Quick Reply: Keys not working