LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Weird suspension noise. Video.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 07:43 PM
Ali2GS300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird suspension noise. Video.

So this happens when I'm braking hard. Or when i make a u turn turning the wheel all the way right or left.
But it happens more when I'm going downhill and braking, even lightly.
Replaced all four front ball joints, upper arm, and all four brake pads and rotors.
Car has 184k miles. 2003 UL. The air suspension was replaced with a regular coil springs suspension.
It made this noise before i even bought it
I bought it a month ago. Car been setting for over a year according to the previous owner.
I uploaded a video to YouTube.
Here's the link

https://youtu.be/9SU5Kgb9jeE
Old 04-27-19, 08:12 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Metal to metal. Check the brake shield first. Have you checked that shims are in place and brake pads are in proper position? Have you noticed if the long pin which goes through the brake pads was unusually hard to install in the caliper?

May I see the photo of upper ball joint from low distance and different angles? Have you torqued upper bushings using double wrench method when suspension was under full vehicle mass?
Old 04-27-19, 08:14 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

I remember a long time I saw the YouTube video where the guy installed the brake pad the other side lol. The sound was very similar )) I hope it’s not the case here
Old 04-27-19, 09:21 PM
Ali2GS300
Rookie

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Metal to metal. Check the brake shield first. Have you checked that shims are in place and brake pads are in proper position? Have you noticed if the long pin which goes through the brake pads was unusually hard to install in the caliper?

May I see the photo of upper ball joint from low distance and different angles? Have you torqued upper bushings using double wrench method when suspension was under full vehicle mass?
I even took the brakes off and reinstall them again
Whats double wrench method??

i can take pictures in the day. Tomorrow

Old 04-27-19, 09:23 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

What kind of springs are those? Tanabes?

And it’s hard to tell from the video but is the noise only appearing when you hit the brakes or just driving in general? Does it make that noise if you bounce on the front end with the vehicle parked?

Last edited by Peacebay; 04-27-19 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-27-19, 09:40 PM
Ali2GS300
Rookie

Originally Posted by Peacebay
What kind of springs are those? Tanabes?

And it’s hard to tell from the video but is the noise only appearing when you hit the brakes or just driving in general? Does it make that noise if you bounce on the front end with the vehicle parked?
The previous owner replaced the air bags for these in the attached picture.

It only makes the noise when making a hard u turn.
Or braking while driving on a downhill road like in the video.

It doesn't make the noise when i bounce on it
Old 04-27-19, 09:54 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Hmm.. If you hadn’t said you replaced your lower ball joint I would have put money that was the culprit. Good work on replacing these and the other suspension bits.

At this point we’re not left with much... how does that front wheel bearing feel when you spin the tire by hand? Maybe a bad sway bar link that’s getting loaded and sort of popping when braking/making hard turns?
Old 04-28-19, 03:28 AM
Ali2GS300
Rookie

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Hmm.. If you hadn’t said you replaced your lower ball joint I would have put money that was the culprit. Good work on replacing these and the other suspension bits.

At this point we’re not left with much... how does that front wheel bearing feel when you spin the tire by hand? Maybe a bad sway bar link that’s getting loaded and sort of popping when braking/making hard turns?
That's what i had mind. Replacing the tie rods and the sway bar links.
I don't think this how a bearing would sound. I never heard them like this tbh. But yeah i did spin them both sides and they seem good as they should.
I'm trying to figure out the problem without replacing everything and spending a lot of money. But that's my only option to replace everything i suspect.
Old 04-28-19, 09:59 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ali2GS300
That's what i had mind. Replacing the tie rods and the sway bar links.
I don't think this how a bearing would sound. I never heard them like this tbh. But yeah i did spin them both sides and they seem good as they should.
I'm trying to figure out the problem without replacing everything and spending a lot of money. But that's my only option to replace everything i suspect.
Wheel bearing assembly in this car may produce really weird clunking sounds which may differ from regular “grinding noise”. When I had this issue, I could have heard clunk, very isolated (after extensive diagnostics which verified everything that were main suspects, but nobody could think its bearing) to this part. I would have gotten it periodically when driving very low mph or braking as well.

At the same time, I can’t say for sure if this part needs to be replaced in your case. But let me ask, have you checked the clearance between braking shield and the brake disc? If such doesn’t exist, try to push it a little bit away to see if this changes the sound.

Have you had this sound before you started replacing all these parts?
Old 04-28-19, 10:04 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Also, have you inspected by any chance the area of both Lower control arm bushings to see if there any slight possibility of metal-to-metal contact? In worst case scenario, when rubber bushings get into really bad condition / super dry included, some material gets removed while opening possibility for metal to metal contact. I ve seen this in Nissan happening quite often - including cases when upper strut mounts start acting weird and allow certain contact that should never happen.
Old 04-29-19, 10:39 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Brake shield. Examine them carefully for small rubbing marks. I had this after replacing tie-rods. Only did it while turning and it turned out to be the rotor rubbing on the brake shield at a small spot on the passenger side. Take a hammer and give it a good whack!
Old 04-29-19, 11:04 PM
Ali2GS300
Rookie

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Wheel bearing assembly in this car may produce really weird clunking sounds which may differ from regular “grinding noise”. When I had this issue, I could have heard clunk, very isolated (after extensive diagnostics which verified everything that were main suspects, but nobody could think its bearing) to this part. I would have gotten it periodically when driving very low mph or braking as well.

At the same time, I can’t say for sure if this part needs to be replaced in your case. But let me ask, have you checked the clearance between braking shield and the brake disc? If such doesn’t exist, try to push it a little bit away to see if this changes the sound.

Have you had this sound before you started replacing all these parts?
To be honest i didn't notice if it did before. Cuz i replaced everything the first day i bought it
Old 04-29-19, 11:05 PM
Ali2GS300
Rookie

Originally Posted by Arcturus
Brake shield. Examine them carefully for small rubbing marks. I had this after replacing tie-rods. Only did it while turning and it turned out to be the rotor rubbing on the brake shield at a small spot on the passenger side. Take a hammer and give it a good whack!
A lot of people are suggesting this. I should try it tomorrow