LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

The climate control in my 2003 LS430 is possessed! Anyone else?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 01:13 PM
hoisted
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The climate control in my 2003 LS430 is possessed! Anyone else?!

So, I have a 2003 LS430 Ultra Luxury and have an issue that I'm finding difficult to resolve (forum search didn't help unless I'm missing something). Randomly, the dual zone climate control will go up (and up and up) until it's all the way to hot, and then won't respond to turn the temperature back down. I used Just Answer to chat back and forth with a Lexus mechanic who assured me it was the climate control / navigation system. Bought a used one from ebay and installed (lots to take out to complete job but fairly simple)...and...the problem persists.

Not sure where to go from here. Has anyone had a similar issue?
Old 04-24-19, 03:58 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

My first instinct points to a bad push-button switch. Most likely the contact is intermittently shorted, or stuck mechanically, or has a weak return spring. Next time this up-up-up condition occurs, try tapping the "Up" button to see if you can un-stuck and stop the temperature setting from rising. Hitting the "Down" button will do nothing to un-stuck the "Up" buttom.
Old 04-24-19, 10:11 PM
hoisted
Rookie

Originally Posted by rkw77080
My first instinct points to a bad push-button switch. Most likely the contact is intermittently shorted, or stuck mechanically, or has a weak return spring. Next time this up-up-up condition occurs, try tapping the "Up" button to see if you can un-stuck and stop the temperature setting from rising. Hitting the "Down" button will do nothing to un-stuck the "Up" buttom.
Easy enough to try. Wish I would've tried that initially (especially if that fixes it) but was surprised that the Lexus mechanic told me it was "definitely" not the switch and was the climate control unit. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-15-19, 07:03 PM
hoisted
Rookie

So here is what's happened so far (with a question to follow). Since the Lexus mechanic thought it was the Navigation / Climate Control unit I went ahead and replaced that as the starting point with a used unit from ebay. Seemed to fix the problem for maybe a day, then it returned. Replaced both push button switches (as indicated above) and the issue was fixed! ...or so I thought. 6 weeks later it's back as before.

Here's the weirdest thing. When this first started happening I was also having an intermittent problem with the radio going on and off (repeatedly) on it's own. Mechanic was certain it was a coincidence and unrelated. Well, that problem went away when the other issue had "gone" and it's now back with the climate temperature issue back as well.

Mechanic also said the two components don't share wiring. Has anyone out there had something similar to these come up? Terrified to to take this to the dealer with an unusual problem that could have them charging me for endless diagnoses. :/
Old 06-15-19, 07:24 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

My stereo volume has a mind of its own occasionally and I'm fairly certain it's the clockspring. It doesn't happen often enough for me to jump in and replace it so, for now, I tolerate it.
I don't think the clockspring would cause any issues with climate control....?
Old 06-15-19, 08:39 PM
hoisted
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland
My stereo volume has a mind of its own occasionally and I'm fairly certain it's the clockspring. It doesn't happen often enough for me to jump in and replace it so, for now, I tolerate it.
I don't think the clockspring would cause any issues with climate control....?
Yeah...definitely not that I don't think. Would love for it to be something that simple though!
Old 06-16-19, 03:21 PM
hoisted
Rookie

Anyone have thoughts on whether it would be worth trying replacing the wiring harnesses for everything in there? Looks like I can get the parts:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LS430-2001-...kAAOSwJj9cfwHk
Old 11-23-19, 05:18 PM
Alex25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Possessed Climate Control

Did you ever figure out what the problem was... I have I=Ultra Luxury 2003 Lexus LS430... last week the climate control shot all the way to hot... It was a sauna... Next day back to normal, but after 20 minutes or so... boom back to hot with no buttons responding...

Next day got in the car and both sides were on cold... when it started to ramp up, I pressed the down button and held it.... it stayed at 68... when I lifted ny finger.. stated racing again... What is up?

ThanksAlex25