LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 Lexus LS430 AUDIO INSTALL

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-19, 08:40 PM
JordanT
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2005 Lexus LS430 AUDIO INSTALL

Hello guys! Just purchased a 2005 Lexus LS430 with Mark Levinson and the first thing I want to tackle is an aftermarket audio system. I have searched many threads and forums and would like to hear any insight on what I am trying to do and if it is possible.

Beat-sonic MVA-24L to install a CarPlay enabled double din head unit. Run RCA from new head unit to aftermarket amplifier. Here is when my questions arise.

Can I utilize the OEM Lexus speaker wire when installing new speakers? Does anyone know gauge size and RMS it can handle? What size are all speakers in this vehicle? Is there any negative to pulling out the speaker plug on the stock amp and utilizing the existing speaker wire? Will my backup camera stay intact?

Any help is appreciated, thanks kindly!

The following users liked this post:
Z7USUDRV (06-01-23)
Old 03-23-19, 09:23 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

You can absolutely use the stock speaker wire, it’s what I did with my aftermarket amp and it made my life much easier during the install.

The stock amp is located in the trunk, on the passenger side of the vehicle behind the trim. All you have to do is remove the wiring harness going to the amp (just clipped in) and splice in the new wires from the aftermarket amp into the existing harness.

My suggestion: the stock tweeters suck, and suck even more to get to. Luckily, the wires going to the tweeters and door speakers are separate in the stock harness. I would suggest buying ultra high quality coaxial speakers, like Focals or Morel Maximos, and putting them in the doors. That way you can bypass the stock tweeters altogether and still have great sound.
Z7USUDRV (06-01-23)
Old 03-23-19, 09:32 PM
JordanT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Peacebay
You can absolutely use the stock speaker wire, it’s what I did with my aftermarket amp and it made my life much easier during the install.

The stock amp is located in the trunk, on the passenger side of the vehicle behind the trim. All you have to do is remove the wiring harness going to the amp (just clipped in) and splice in the new wires from the aftermarket amp into the existing harness.

My suggestion: the stock tweeters suck, and suck even more to get to. Luckily, the wires going to the tweeters and door speakers are separate in the stock harness. I would suggest buying ultra high quality coaxial speakers, like Focals or Morel Maximos, and putting them in the doors. That way you can bypass the stock tweeters altogether and still have great sound.
Did you utilize the Beat-Sonic kit as well? I have heard how hard it is to reach the tweeters (taking dash apart) so I will be definitely going the coaxial route. Did you install 2-way coaxial? If so, did you just not utilize tweeter wire? How does crossover work with coaxial speaker and no tweeter speaker wire if you used stock OEM wire? Thanks for response and help!
Z7USUDRV (04-16-23)
Old 03-23-19, 09:38 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Wait, are you just installing a double din receiver and using the stock amp or are you installing an aftermarket amp as well?

If you are installing an aftermarket amp there is no need for the Beatsonic kit. (Edit for clarification: you will need it for the bracket, but you will not need any of the wires) If you are using the stock amp, I would just keep the stock tweeters and leave everything be

Last edited by Peacebay; 03-23-19 at 09:59 PM.
Z7USUDRV (04-16-23)
Old 03-23-19, 09:45 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Just realized I didn’t really answer either of your questions.

Yes, that is correct, I just ignored the stock tweeter wires. And my car was non-nav, non ML so I just added an Alpine ILX207 head unit, an Alpine four channel amp, and a Rockford mono amp to power my JL W6 sub.

edit: Also, I used these Focal coaxials in the front doors

The following 2 users liked this post by Peacebay:
graphX250 (11-03-22), Z7USUDRV (04-16-23)
Old 03-23-19, 09:59 PM
JordanT
Driver School Candidate

Just realized I didn’t really answer either of your questions.

Yes, that is correct, I just ignored the stock tweeter wires. And my car was non-nav, non ML so I just added an Alpine ILX207 head unit, an Alpine four channel amp, and a Rockford mono amp to power my JL W6 sub.

edit: Also, I used these Focal coaxials in the front doors

Looks great! Unfortunately I have the Mark Levinson amp which I am told I have to keep to retain all the function in the OEM NAV Screen. Also looks like that speaker you chose has a built in crossover for the tweeter which is pretty neat. I am confused on how it would work if the wiring were separate, seems like I would have to add additional wire for the new tweeter if I am not accessing the original tweeter location. I am looking to get that same head unit, aftermarket amplifier and new speakers and subwoofer if that helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by JordanT:
Getlowe415 (02-24-22), Z7USUDRV (04-16-23)
Old 03-23-19, 10:07 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

In stock form the crossover is located in the amp. So there are wires going to the woofers in the doors and wires going to the tweeters.

All you need are the wires going to the woofers in the doors. Your aftermarket amp will send a full range signal through those wires to your new coaxial speakers. The crossover on your speakers will then split the signal appropriately to the tweeter/woofer. No need to run any new wire.

It is true that you cannot eliminate your nav screen. You will simply be adding your carplay unit underneath. In order to do this you will need the Beatsonic bracket, however you will not need any of the wires that come with it. Those wires are used when people keep the stock amp. Essentially, the only wire you need is a power wire that turns on with accessory power to run the head unit.
Z7USUDRV (04-16-23)
Old 03-23-19, 10:16 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Just found a pic of my 4 channel amp mid install. You can see there are 4 pairs of speaker wires leaving from it: one pair goes to each of the doors. Each of these pairs of wires was spliced into the appropriate wiring from the stock harness, which I unplugged from the stock amp.

​​​
Z7USUDRV (04-16-23)
Old 03-23-19, 10:19 PM
JordanT
Driver School Candidate

In stock form the crossover is located in the amp. So there are wires going to the woofers in the doors and wires going to the tweeters.

All you need are the wires going to the woofers in the doors. Your aftermarket amp will send a full range signal through those wires to your new coaxial speakers. The crossover on your speakers will then split the signal appropriately to the tweeter/woofer. No need to run any new wire.

It is true that you cannot eliminate your nav screen. You will simply be adding your carplay unit underneath. In order to do this you will need the Beatsonic bracket, however you will not need any of the wires that come with it. Those wires are used when people keep the stock amp. Essentially, the only wire you need is a power wire that turns on with accessory power to run the head unit.
Thanks! The model I was looking at was a JL C5 Coaxial speaker. This model has a seperate crossover box outside of the speaker, and that has a place for woofer and tweeter wires. I am assuming I cannot use this model if I am using existing OEM speaker wire?

Since yours didn’t have these OEM Nav issues, I believe on my model, the OEM speaker wire plug I am unplugging, taking the wires out of the harness, and plugging them into my aftermarket amp?
Old 03-23-19, 10:33 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

That’s a good speaker too — love JL. You can still use those for sure — what you will do is run the wire from your aftermarket amp to the JL crossover (mount it somewhere in each door). Then, the JL crossover will have two outputs: one for the woofer and one for the tweeter. Wire them appropriately.

As for the nav/audio question: think of it this way — you are removing any semblance of the stock audio system on the car. Everything audio is going to be handled by your new head unit/ amplifier. The stock audio plug on your stock nav unit will not be needed. That is only needed for people that only want to add a new head unit but don’t want to go through the trouble of adding an aftermarket amp, like you’re doing.
Old 03-23-19, 10:43 PM
JordanT
Driver School Candidate

That’s a good speaker too — love JL. You can still use those for sure — what you will do is run the wire from your aftermarket amp to the JL crossover (mount it somewhere in each door). Then, the JL crossover will have two outputs: one for the woofer and one for the tweeter. Wire them appropriately.

As for the nav/audio question: think of it this way — you are removing any semblance of the stock audio system on the car. Everything audio is going to be handled by your new head unit/ amplifier. The stock audio plug on your stock nav unit will not be needed. That is only needed for people that only want to add a new head unit but don’t want to go through the trouble of adding an aftermarket amp, like you’re doing.
I think we’re on the same page. I do not mean OEM head unit plug, I am talking about the OEM speaker wire plug that is plugged into the stock amp. I would have to remove that plug and take the speaker wire out of it if I want to utilize OEM Lexus speaker wire right?

Also, if I install crossover in the door, how can I use OEM tweeter speaker wire if I am not accessing the OEM tweeter? Wouldn’t I only have woofer wire? Sorry if I’m complicating the idea, thanks.
Old 03-23-19, 10:50 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

You will remove the wiring harness from the stock amp and cut off the plug. Identify the correct wire type that goes to each door woofer. Splice in new wire to these existing wires to your aftermarket amp. Ignore the stock tweeter wire.

The wire will will then go to your JL crossover. You will need to supply new wire that goes from the output of that crossover to the woofer and tweeter.
Old 03-24-19, 01:38 PM
JordanT
Driver School Candidate

You will remove the wiring harness from the stock amp and cut off the plug. Identify the correct wire type that goes to each door woofer. Splice in new wire to these existing wires to your aftermarket amp. Ignore the stock tweeter wire.

The wire will will then go to your JL crossover. You will need to supply new wire that goes from the output of that crossover to the woofer and tweeter.
Thanks for your help! Did you use 6.5 speakers all around? Is the image I attached below the same wire you had?

danforth (07-15-22)
Old 03-24-19, 02:00 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Yes that is exactly it. And yeah, 6.5 all around. You can get away with using a slightly cheaper speaker in the rear because ideally you just want the soundstage coming from in front of you and for the rears to just fill in sound
danforth (07-15-22)
Old 03-24-19, 03:45 PM
JordanT
Driver School Candidate

Yes that is exactly it. And yeah, 6.5 all around. You can get away with using a slightly cheaper speaker in the rear because ideally you just want the soundstage coming from in front of you and for the rears to just fill in sound
Just took this picture in my vehicle, either this is the wrong plug or my colors do not match the colors above?

Quick Reply: 2005 Lexus LS430 AUDIO INSTALL