LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help evaluating: 06 UL 75K miles, asking 16K

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 07:04 AM
OliveTree
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help evaluating: 06 UL 75K miles, asking 16K

Seller says he works for a dealership but that this was his car and he is selling it. I offered 12,500 and he countered with 14K. Timing belt is NOT done.

The dashboard has some chips/discoloration right under the NAV. Initially I was curious about the UL package but now after reading so much, I'm afraid of it. Not sure about this one.

Old 11-15-18, 07:12 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

he posted $15k under his dealer website, even $14k is away above the market price.
you might as well go for this one, better price with LOWER miles and seller is dealer as well.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/ctd...746922145.html
Old 11-15-18, 07:24 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

May be slightly high as shown in that linked ad by jonathan, although 2 years older. I still would really recommend the UL model, it has alot going for it. It always impresses anyone who gets in the car, they cant believe how well built, quite and the ride quality from it. Maybe you could negotiate the timing belt being done and meeting closer to 13k? The chipping under the nav stuff is normal, as long as its not the dash. The UL also has the double pane windows to make the interior more quite. Also the side shades are used all the time with passengers, and the massge/reclining seats always surprise people. The main issue would be the Air suspension, but that car has low miles so I wouldn't worry and its a 06. I paid about 14k for my 02 UL 3 years ago with about 85k miles iirc. I definitely would have preferred the 04+ styling. The car will last you a long time and be excellent, I wouldn't sweat a few bucks in savings. You could perhaps show him that above ad if you wanted that specific car or even go after that one if its legit/clean title. Either way I would recommend still a UL over a base model. You can also add a carplay head unit to update the tech in the car to be like 2018.
Old 11-15-18, 09:34 AM
OliveTree
Rookie

The body seems to low on this picture. I don't know if this is indicative of suspension problems or just the setting the car had at that moment. Does it ever go that low? Should I walk away from it?

Old 11-15-18, 09:43 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by peacock
The body seems to low on this picture. I don't know if this is indicative of suspension problems or just the setting the car had at that moment. Does it ever go that low? Should I walk away from it?

Yes it can indicate a problem, I actually had the exact same lean on my car. I eventually had to replace my strut and sensor. It might actually be a bad sensor, I replaced the strut and it didn't make much of a difference, when I replaced my sensor it adjusted it properly. I ran techstream and it got a bad reading from the sensors. It actually gets readings from all sensors and does a calculation of how the height should be, so if 1 sensor is off it can cause a lean. Air sensors run about $250 new.
Old 11-15-18, 09:50 AM
OliveTree
Rookie

I think that for that much money, the car should come with no problems and no items to repair. I'm walking.
Old 11-15-18, 11:32 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

In my opinion, the UL should be priced below a base model just for the fact that there WILL be more problems with the suspension, electronics, etc. Of course this is not reality.

I paid 15k for an 06 base ML with 103k two years ago with full dealer service history and zero issues. Car has 150k now with zero issues.

I don’t think its sitting low, maybe a little. In the owners manual (I believe) it tells you that the front wheel arches have more gap than the rear. Do a search for “ride height” and you can measure it. $1500 per corner if shocks need replaced

Last edited by RushNatU; 11-15-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-15-18, 12:15 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I would absolutely walk on this one. I wouldn't avoid the UL totally, especially if you can find one where the suspension has been addressed.

A good option is to look for the Custom Luxury package. It's rare, but it comes with many of the UL features (semi-aniline leather, alcantara headliner, radar cruise control), but doesn't have the worry of the air suspension. You can usually tell if the car is a Custom Luxury package if it has the headlamp washers in the front bumper, but no plastic covering the Lexus emblem on the front grill. If the car has headlamp washers and the plastic covering the Lexus emblem in the grill (this is for the PCS system), then it's the UL package.
Old 11-15-18, 01:43 PM
caddylover
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

the way the car sits looks just like my 2004 UL. There is a bigger gap in the front than in the rear but that's just based on the quarter panels
Old 11-15-18, 03:52 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
If the car has headlamp washers and the plastic covering the Lexus emblem in the grill (this is for the PCS system), then it's the UL package.
PCS was available with both the Ultra Luxury and the Custom Luxury options. It is more commonly found with the former, but rarely with the latter.

The following users liked this post:
aypues (12-29-18)
Old 11-15-18, 04:46 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
PCS was available with both the Ultra Luxury and the Custom Luxury options. It is more commonly found with the former, but rarely with the latter.
It was technically an option for any LS, but as you said, rarely seen beyond the UL package.
Old 11-16-18, 07:31 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by caddylover
the way the car sits looks just like my 2004 UL. There is a bigger gap in the front than in the rear but that's just based on the quarter panels
If you have techstream you might want to hook it up to the car and get readings from your height sensors. You may have a bad height sensor which is throwing everything off.
Old 11-16-18, 08:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by peacock
I think that for that much money, the car should come with no problems and no items to repair. I'm walking.
for that price I'd rather have a Calif. car, seems to have NJ license plates. Mine came from Naples FLA and a NJ shop had it on the lift--the tech said to me da** you must wash this thing all the time. I said what do you mean? He goes it doesn't have the rust you normally see on a 2006. To which I said oh it came from FLA, and he goes gotcha. I'd like to think that 8+ yrs. of northeast winter corrosion has been avoided (we can get into the ocean salt air too, but we don't have to, lol) The sad part is my car has not seen a garage in 25 mos. My buddy said you ruined that car, it deserves to be garaged (his motto is don't buy nice cars until you have a garage for them)....
Old 11-18-18, 07:21 AM
Fish
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Offer them 13k out the door. I paid 11k for my 06 ul with 160k about 2.5 years ago because there was slightly over 100 ul produced in 06. I felt I paid a little too much because of the mileage but I couldn't let the 06 ul blk/blk pass by. I had the timing belt and water pump replaced at 175k. Air suspension still in good working condition but a few months ago had rsr coilovers installed because I didn't like the car feeling like a boat. Currently at 203k and everything on the car still working like it should.
Old 11-18-18, 07:29 AM
caddylover
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

i paid $5500 for a Brairwood Pearl, black interior UL with 182K in excellent condition. Car was one owner, Lexus serviced all its life. To pay that much for a car two years younger and 100K less is till IMO quite a bit of $$

Quick Reply: Help evaluating: 06 UL 75K miles, asking 16K