LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

EVAP Hose Part # Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 10:57 AM
kb89
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EVAP Hose Part # Help

Hello, I need help finding a part number for a EVAP hose.

About a week ago, I ended up not screwing my gas cap back on until it clicked. Car is new (to me) & I've done it a few times, I just didn't happen to do it that time. So probably less than 10 miles of driving and CEL/Check VSC came on. Stopped and thought what I had done recently & remembered I just filled up. When I stopped and checked gas cap I noticed when I opened it I didn't get the normal hiss that it makes if it's sealed properly. So I ended up getting a cable & software to look at the codes. Haven't checked them since purchase, but it showed 4. P0442 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (Small Leak), P0456 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak), P1578 - Brake System, B2799 - Engine Immobiliser System. Reset all the DTC codes after tightening gas cap, car went back to normal.

Drove approx 50-100 miles & randomly CEL/Check VSC kicked back on. Figured it could possibly still be something with gas cap, but did verify hiss sound upon opening so it was tightened correctly. Reran software for DTC today, got P0456 & P1578 again. Very small leak & brake system.

Previously when I purchased the car I knew I had to replace valve cover gaskets, on the way down a couple hoses got cracked, 2 PCVs, so I ordered new OEM ones to replace. I believe when I put an EVAP hose back on it developed a tiny crack at the end, my friend wrapped it in fabric tape and said it should be fine. I noticed it looks like oily residue around the tape now. Probably from air leaks on it letting out the oil vapor. Anyways I want to go ahead and replace that to rule that out as an issue. I found the part, but it's only 5 digits & not the normal 12345-12345 format. If someone could assist me with a link to mylparts for it. I found it on

https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/_...382950070.html

but I'm not sure why I can't find it on mylparts.

Also for reference, my gas cap was dealer replaced around 30K miles/5 years ago (from the current mileage/time) I believe. I can recheck specifics of that, but the previous owner had CEL come on for gas cap. I put 500+ miles on the car without an issue since purchase before first CEL. This only cropped up when I KNOW I didn't tighten it all the way. I think I may have also saw some info that EVAP leaks take multiple clears & 100+ miles after clearing before they stay permanently gone?

I circled the top part showing the section of the hose I need. The single piece of hose in the picture is not a single piece, it's multiple sections, I specifically need the top small section 23829A that plugs into the little box.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-18, 02:01 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

You can just replace it with bulk emissions hose from any part store. Buy a few feet and you can replace all of those failure prone hoses for $4.
The following users liked this post:
LSUGS430 (10-12-22)
Old 09-24-18, 02:12 PM
911LE
Instructor

If you want OEM, I always found that Lexus of South Atlanta has very extensive parts diagrams.
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com
kb89 (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 02:33 PM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm going through the exact same thing on my '03 LS430 (Code P0441)

Below is a link I used to track down exact part #'s

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...category=21750
kb89 (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 02:57 PM
kb89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 911LE
You can just replace it with bulk emissions hose from any part store. Buy a few feet and you can replace all of those failure prone hoses for $4.
I am aware you can get generic hose & replace them. I really want to keep as much stuff OEM as possible on this car.

Originally Posted by 911LE
If you want OEM, I always found that Lexus of South Atlanta has very extensive parts diagrams.
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com
Thanks! Yes with the post from the other person recommending them this is exactly what I needed.

Originally Posted by OG Member
I'm going through the exact same thing on my '03 LS430 (Code P0441)

Below is a link I used to track down exact part #'s

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=792406&ukey_make=1082&ukey_model=15670&modelYear=2003&ukey_category=21750
Awesome. Yes this diagram I saw as well, not on that site, but searching google images. This Lexus dealer site is awesome with the diagrams, & they even have the conversion from the diagram part label to the standard dual 5 digit layout. 23827A = 23827-50510.

That was exactly what I needed. I will bookmark that website for my diagram needs.

Part was $11.xx from both lexussouthatlantaparts and mylparts. Both had $13.xx shipping for the one item. Called local Lexus dealership & they will have it day after next for $14.10 + tax.
Old 09-24-18, 03:06 PM
911LE
Instructor

I feel bad to admit that I have used their site extensively for diagrams and part numbers but have never ordered anything from them. Mylparts was always cheaper, especially with our discount. I understand wanting to keep your car original but for something like these hoses I doubt it makes a difference. A dollar (or 10) saved is a dollar (or 10) earned.
Old 09-26-18, 01:32 PM
kb89
Driver School Candidate

Picked up the hose today from dealer got back home, pop hood, take off cover, hold hose in bag up to hose on car. Hmm... these aren't near the same size. WTF!

I'm like ok maybe somehow I ended up with the wrong part. Checked back at lexussouthatlantaparts, nope matching part #. Ok let me google image the part #. Maybe it's wrong part in the bag. Nope. Part # on google images matches mine so it's definitely the right part in the bag.

I start looking back at the part #s in the diagrams. Notice that lexussouthatlantaparts diagrams are different (redrawn) from what I assume are the official Lexus ones, like the one I posted. lexussouthatlantaparts mislabeled the parts. They swapped the part #s for 23827A and 23829A to which parts they point to. So I ordered the completely wrong part. I need 23829A which is the part in my diagram I circled. I converted that part # on there website & google imaged the part & it is a match to the hose I'm looking for. Now my dealer isn't sure if they can swap the part for me. They said they will check & let me know when I pick up the other hose. Guess lesson here is NEVER trust a diagram. ALWAYS google image a part # and compare it to the part in your hand to make sure your going to order the right thing.

I'm going to write an email to lexussouthatlantaparts to attempt to get them to update that diagram to reference the correct part #s to hopefully keep someone else from getting the wrong part.