LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Vsc off light is on after resetting cel

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 02:46 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Vsc off light is on after resetting cel

I decided to pickup a OBD2 scanner as to reset my check engine light and avoid going to my Indy every time my CEL came on. The code is always for the notorious PO440 . (Evaporative Emission System)
Once the CEL light went out and I started out for a drive the VSC off light came on. I searched around the forum and noticed this has happened to others that have reset their CEL. I saw a fix with a paper clip jumping some connectors where the scanner plugs in but I'm not going there. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? I tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes without any luck. Every time I restart the car the VSC off is not showing but once I try to drive it comes on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 09-14-18, 06:26 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I decided to pickup a OBD2 scanner as to reset my check engine light and avoid going to my Indy every time my CEL came on. The code is always for the notorious PO440 . (Evaporative Emission System)
Once the CEL light went out and I started out for a drive the VSC off light came on. I searched around the forum and notice this has happened to others that have reset their CEL. I saw a fix with a paper clip jumping some connectors where the scanner plugs in but I'm not going there. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? I tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes without any luck. Every time I restart the car the VSC off is not showing but once I try to drive it comes on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Did you get a scanner capable of reading ABS and SRS (airbag) codes? Not all scanners are created equal. P codes are generic to all vehicles, other codes are specific to the vehicle manufacturer. You could have a fault with the ABS system (for example a wheel speed sensor) and your scanner isn’t capable of reading that. There is a way of clearing those codes without a scanner using a paper clip to jumper the pins on the OBD2 connector. If you search you should be able to find it in this forum. I’ll see if I can find it for you.
Old 09-14-18, 06:29 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Once the CEL light went out and I started out for a drive the VSC off light came on. I searched around the forum and noticed this has happened to others that have reset their CEL. I saw a fix with a paper clip jumping some connectors where the scanner plugs in but I'm not going there. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? I tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes without any luck. Every time I restart the car the VSC off is not showing but once I try to drive it comes on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
try this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...c-vsc-off.html

The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (09-14-18)
Old 09-14-18, 08:47 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arcturus
Thanks Arcturus. I did read some of that before posting my thread. It is quite a read! I just hope I did not hurt my ECU with my inexpensive OBD11 scanner. I'd still rather have my Indy look at it with the additional info from that thread before I stick a paper clip in there. Thanks again.
Old 09-14-18, 09:31 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Thanks Arcturus. I did read some of that before posting my thread. It is quite a read! I just hope I did not hurt my ECU with my inexpensive OBD11 scanner. I'd still rather have my Indy look at it with the additional info from that thread before I stick a paper clip in there. Thanks again.
You won’t hurt it don’t worry. The forum member FYOUNES has a picture attached in one of the posts for the right pins to jump to clear the codes. Some of the scan tools are more advanced than others. I bought a cheap one but then shelled out $250 for one that can read ABS and airbag codes. That was some time ago now. My VSC was being triggeted by a wheel speed sensor malfunction. Which is relatively common. You don’t need to shell out megabucks but just get one with the ability to read ABS and SRS codes.
Old 09-14-18, 09:39 PM
SlkySmooth
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You've just got to do a zero point calibration with Toyota Techstream or the paper clip jumper method
Old 09-14-18, 09:59 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

You won’t hurt it don’t worry. The forum member FYOUNES has a picture attached in one of the posts for the right pins to jump to clear the codes. Some of the scan tools are more advanced than others. I bought a cheap one but then shelled out $250 for one that can read ABS and airbag codes. That was some time ago now. My VSC was being triggeted by a wheel speed sensor malfunction. Which is relatively common. You don’t need to shell out megabucks but just get one with the ability to read ABS and SRS codes.
Yes, I didn't realize until now that the OBD2 scanner I just used does not read and diagnose ABS and SRS codes. That could very well be part of the problem. You get what you pay for.
Old 09-14-18, 11:46 PM
SlkySmooth
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I didn't realize until now that the OBD2 scanner I just used does not read and diagnose ABS and SRS codes. That could very well be part of the problem. You get what you pay for.
I think what really happens is the OBD triggers the VSC TEST mode and the VSC light comes on when it's not done properly. The same thing occurs when I use my techstream cable to check codes sometimes
Old 09-16-18, 04:43 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SlkySmooth
You've just got to do a zero point calibration with Toyota Techstream or the paper clip jumper method
The one question I still have is this....After the VSC off light is reset with the paper clip, does anything else need to be recalibrated? I read the procedure FROM TOYOTA and some members mentioned needing to recalibrate . I believe they called this the zero Point Calibration. Is this necessary if all I did was remove error code PO440 with my scanner which in turn triggered the VSC off light?
Old 09-17-18, 08:20 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

The one question I still have is this....After the VSC off light is reset with the paper clip, does anything else need to be recalibrated? I read the procedure FROM TOYOTA and some members mentioned needing to recalibrate . I believe they called this the zero Point Calibration. Is this necessary if all I did was remove error code PO440 with my scanner which in turn triggered the VSC off light?
If you clear a generic code no you don’t need to do it. I have had multiple P codes for various things and have just reset with scan tool. I seem to remember having to do the zero point calibration reset after replacing my wheel hubs and wheel speed sensor subharnesses. However I did the zero point calibration because it was giving me an error for it. This was a C code given by a scan tool capable of reading ABS codes. The procedure is documented in the following thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...libration.html

It’s very similar to the method to clear the codes. Just jump two pins on the OBD connector. They are different pins though.

Old 09-17-18, 08:28 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

The error that I had that required zero point recalibration was C1336.

if you don’t get this error then I believe you don’t need to do the calibration.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (09-17-18)
Old 09-17-18, 08:51 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

The error that I had that required zero point recalibration was C1336.

if you don’t get this error then I believe you don’t need to do the calibration.
Thanks Arcturus....Just came from my Indy because I wanted him to hook me up to his $1200 scanner before and after the paper clip reset. He has been resetting my check engine light multiple times only to find one DTC of P0440. This is why I know it was my scanner that screwed things up and triggered the VDC off light because of the lack of the ability to scan ABS codes. Before we reset the VDC his scanner this time did see multiple codes which we determined were all also triggered by my $50 scanner. The paper clip reset worked flawlessly, but for anyone out there please note that I had the ABS light flashing with the paper clip reset and not the VDC and all is well after the reset. I've read about other members seeing the ABS flash as well. Regardless, all is well that ends well. Now I just need to find myself a decent scanner that reads ABS codes. Thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 09-20-18 at 11:13 AM.