LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Oil Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 11:13 AM
BHurd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Recommendation

I spoke with a service advisor today at the local Lexus dealership who also owns a LS430, and he told me that using anything other than their conventional oil was a waste of money. I told him my milage was at 172,000 and he told me that due to the frequency that the oil is to be changed that synthetic doesn't end up really making a difference. I wanted to consult the forum as I've never been advised against using full synthetic for anything before, and this sounds ludacris to me. Would you guys mind sharing with me your thoughts?

Thanks
Old 08-06-18, 11:21 AM
nedear1688
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BHurd
I spoke with a service advisor today at the local Lexus dealership who also owns a LS430, and he told me that using anything other than their conventional oil was a waste of money. I told him my milage was at 172,000 and he told me that due to the frequency that the oil is to be changed that synthetic doesn't end up really making a difference. I wanted to consult the forum as I've never been advised against using full synthetic for anything before, and this sounds ludacris to me. Would you guys mind sharing with me your thoughts?

Thanks
Hello, I used Mobil 1 ever since I own the LS 2+ years ago, recently I discover Mobil 1 now have extent drain high mileage 5W-30, I just changed mine this past weekend and it's different to the regular Mobil 1 extended drain 5w-30, regardless what the advisor said since your LS already over 170+k miles you should used this type of oil if you want to keep the engine in a good shape. I bought the 5 quarts jug from Walmart online, hope this help!

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...e-high-mileage
Old 08-06-18, 11:28 AM
aufenscuht
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

5000 mile intervals at full syn. is the way to go with a GOOD filter. If you change your oil every 3000 miles, a syn blend is just as good. My shop uses only Mobil 1, I use full syn in the LS.
The following users liked this post:
bloomwcjkl (08-06-18)
Old 08-06-18, 11:40 AM
nedear1688
Driver

I changed mine around 9000 miles around 10 months with OEM Toyota oil filter, most of the mileage were freeway miles.
Old 08-06-18, 11:48 AM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think its more along the lines that its safer to use whatever its been using the majority of its life. If its been using standard oil, its better to generally keep using standard instead of switching to synthetic. Same goes for synth to standard.

I've only heard this from two different sources of mechanics in person. I never really asked the whole exact reason behind it. More or less don't fix what isn't broken thought process.
Old 08-06-18, 11:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

My strategy is to basically buy 5 qts of synthetic for $23 to $25, with a $10 or $12 rebate. These rebates reoccur every 6 mos. and I keep buying. I use Pennzoil Platinum (Shell) and Mobil 1 (Mobil).

Does it make any difference? Well, Lexus engineers long ago said absolutely positively not, through 500k miles. But I do know more than they do lol

That was about 15+ yrs. ago that they said that, and I think times have changed. All cars now use at least a synth blend since they are mpg conscious.

So I have settled on the above, decided upon 6,500 miles, and use a WIX XP filter. Same 5W30 recommended weight.

Honestly? I think the Lexus engineers are right, but again, $25 minus $10 or $12, that's not expensive, and I feel good when the temps are really low, or really high, knowing I'm running synth...
Old 08-06-18, 11:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mobius1
I think its more along the lines that its safer to use whatever its been using the majority of its life. If its been using standard oil, its better to generally keep using standard instead of switching to synthetic. Same goes for synth to standard.

I've only heard this from two different sources of mechanics in person. I never really asked the whole exact reason behind it. More or less don't fix what isn't broken thought process.
This goes back to the 90's when seals could be affected by the lack of mineral spirits contained in dino juice. It became a non-issue sometime in the mid-90's...

(think about this, 2010 GM, full dino juice, 2011, Dexos1 synth blend, identical engines--other mfgs. did the same)
Old 08-06-18, 12:19 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks
Just use this oil

The guy at the lexus dealership is a clown and has no idea what he is talking about like most people that work at dealerships haha. New cars now a days require synthetic and dont need to have there oil changed for 7500-15,000 miles. I am nutty and change my oil every 3000-4000 miles and use mobile 1 extended performance oil and filter.

I would get some seafoam put the correct amount in your crank case and put the rest in an almost empty gas tank and fill it up just because of the mileage on your car will help loosen up gunk and stuff.
Old 08-06-18, 12:34 PM
nedear1688
Driver

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Just use this oil

The guy at the lexus dealership is a clown and has no idea what he is talking about like most people that work at dealerships haha. New cars now a days require synthetic and dont need to have there oil changed for 7500-15,000 miles. I am nutty and change my oil every 3000-4000 miles and use mobile 1 extended performance oil and filter.

I would get some seafoam put the correct amount in your crank case and put the rest in an almost empty gas tank and fill it up just because of the mileage on your car will help loosen up gunk and stuff.
Mobil 1 now have an extended drain high mileage synthetic.

This is for 1 year or 15k miles high mileage synthetic oil
Old 08-06-18, 12:45 PM
BHurd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nedear1688

I'm not familiar yet with how the vehicle will act, but I'm under the impression the car will lose its mind at 5k. If i use an oil like this with a good filter, at 5k am I personally able to reset the oil life tracker on the car?
Old 08-06-18, 12:47 PM
BHurd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Just use this oil

I worked on military diesel vehicles, civilian stuff like this is foreign to me. Do you have a specific recommendation on the seafoam to use? Do you have any other recommendation on things I should do at this juncture?
Thanks
Old 08-06-18, 12:48 PM
BHurd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aufenscuht
5000 mile intervals at full syn. is the way to go with a GOOD filter. If you change your oil every 3000 miles, a syn blend is just as good. My shop uses only Mobil 1, I use full syn in the LS.
What recommendations do you have when it comes to the actual filter?
Old 08-06-18, 01:01 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I worked on military diesel vehicles, civilian stuff like this is foreign to me. Do you have a specific recommendation on the seafoam to use? Do you have any other recommendation on things I should do at this juncture?
Thanks
Funny I have toured shops where they are fixing trailers and tractors, you know 15.6 liter cummins I6's with 1000+ torque. And when I asked the techs if they fix up their own cars, they all said no way, cars are different, everything is small and tight. I was actually surprised.

Just my .02. A car that needs to be seen by the dealer every 5k is something made up by Lexus. I just decided upon 6,500 miles, but I'm sure 7,500 is fine too, on synth.

p.s. I was really shocked to learn a tractor uses 45 qt. of oil and goes 50-60k miles. They said if the vehicle leaks that DEF it's money down the drain, they have large tanks...($5/gal and 23 gal.)
Old 08-06-18, 01:05 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Thanks
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Foam-sf-16-Motor-Treatment/dp/B0002JN2EU?keywords=seafoam&qid=1533585604&sr=8-1&ref=mp_s_a_1_1

There is a link for the seafoam you want to use and your best bet is to just go through the entire car and change all fluids belts, plugs, etc just make sure all the maintenance is done and you will have your car a long, long time.
Old 08-06-18, 01:10 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nedear1688

Hmm did not know about that I honestly don't really pay attention to the high mileage stuff, but thats pretty cool though thanks for sharing that.

Quick Reply: Oil Recommendation