LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

old navigation disc will not eject

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-18, 12:45 PM
BlackStig
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default old navigation disc will not eject

I am attempting to replace my old nav disc with the latest version. I have accessed the navigation drive unit in the trunk, slid the tab to the right to open the disc cover, and pressed the eject button but nothing happens. I did this with the car running. When I slide the tab over I do get a notification on the nav screen but it will not eject. I read there is a combination of corners on the screen you can touch to make it eject but everyone seems to say a different combination. If I need to manually remove it how should I go about doing this without causing damage to the system? Would it be safe to grab the old disc with tweezers and pull it out or should I somehow disassemble to unit to remove the disc?
Old 07-29-18, 03:09 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackStig
I am attempting to replace my old nav disc with the latest version. I have accessed the navigation drive unit in the trunk, slid the tab to the right to open the disc cover, and pressed the eject button but nothing happens. I did this with the car running. When I slide the tab over I do get a notification on the nav screen but it will not eject. I read there is a combination of corners on the screen you can touch to make it eject but everyone seems to say a different combination. If I need to manually remove it how should I go about doing this without causing damage to the system? Would it be safe to grab the old disc with tweezers and pull it out or should I somehow disassemble to unit to remove the disc?
I would turn the car off and try again. Also leave the ignition switch in off position.
Old 07-29-18, 03:30 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I hope you resolve your disc eject issue quickly. Once you do, would you mind mentioning which disc you purchased since most our cars only go to 13.1 which is still 5 years old. Did you go to the dealer or aftermarket? Thanks again and good luck.
Old 07-29-18, 07:55 PM
BlackStig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I would turn the car off and try again. Also leave the ignition switch in off position.
I did try disconnecting the battery and trying again with the same results
Old 07-29-18, 08:10 PM
BlackStig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I hope you resolve your disc eject issue quickly. Once you do, would you mind mentioning which disc you purchased since most our cars only go to 13.1 which is still 5 years old. Did you go to the dealer or aftermarket? Thanks again and good luck.
this is what I bought. It still is a few years old but the newest compatible disc available for the 2002 LS. I bought it off ebay for $10 or so.

The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (07-30-18)
Old 07-29-18, 09:22 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I did try disconnecting the battery and trying again with the same results
Don't disconnect the battery. Just try with the engine off and the accessory switch on.
Old 07-29-18, 09:52 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Following this threat with interest. I would love to upgrade mine. The current map does not show my house... or the entire neighborhood. I probably should check what version I have, probably the original lol
Old 07-29-18, 11:19 PM
BlackStig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BCT
Following this threat with interest. I would love to upgrade mine. The current map does not show my house... or the entire neighborhood. I probably should check what version I have, probably the original lol
mine will not even display maps lol so I'm thinking I for sure have the original. For anyone interested this is the best deal on the newest version of the nav disc I could find.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LATEST-...from=R40&rt=nc
I believe the either 2003 or 2004 have a newer navigation unit and can therefore use an even newer disc.
Old 07-29-18, 11:20 PM
BlackStig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Don't disconnect the battery. Just try with the engine off and the accessory switch on.
tried that as well but still no luck...
Old 07-29-18, 11:26 PM
BlackStig
Driver School Candidate

absolutely nothing happens when I press the eject button - no sound of the unit trying to eject and no message displayed on the screen (that is unless it goes away quickly as I am unable to see it from the rear of the car while I press the button). As mentioned it does display a message when I slide the tab to reveal the eject button over though so the unit must still be at least partially functional. Does anyone know about the secret pattern of corners of the screen to press to eject the disc or is that just an urban legend?
Old 07-31-18, 12:48 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have tried to eject my disc and it just won't do it. Spent ay least 2 hours at two different times, with no luck. Have all but given up, just turned off the screen.
Old 07-31-18, 01:15 PM
BlackStig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by monrovea
I also have tried to eject my disc and it just won't do it. Spent ay least 2 hours at two different times, with no luck. Have all but given up, just turned off the screen.
well last night I got frustrated and removed it manually thinking its already not working so I cant really make things any worse. The face of the drive unit will pop off which gives you some room to see inside the unit. the disc is prevented from being slid out even if you are able to grab it by two tabs. I put a credit card beneath the disc and above the tabs hoping it would then be free to slide out but something was still holding it in. With the credit card still between the tabs and disc I used a thin blade to press up from beneath the center of the disc hoping this would free it and it did. I was then able to pull it out with tweezers. Now the new disc wont go in because the two tabs are still in place which prevent it from sliding in unless you angle it up while first inserting it to clear them. I havent put the new disc in yet and highly doubt it will work if I do. I'm not even sure it will go in properly as the unit still things there is a disc inside and will not pull it in. But then again, the only thing I have to lose if it doesnt work is my new disc so I might as well give it a try...