Need guidance - Ultra Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-18, 10:50 PM
Wyseguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need guidance - Ultra Luxury?

Hey all.
I'm looking to trade my Audi for something more reliable and spacious. I'm having a hard time finding the Ultra Luxury trim around Virginia. Is that something that's really worth having or are they just nifty features to show off?

Any other concerns or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by RA40; 07-15-18 at 09:57 AM. Reason: descriptive title
Old 07-15-18, 03:48 AM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

While a Ultra Luxury LS 430 might be more reliable than certain Audi's, there are still items to worry about that might go bad. Particularly the air-suspension if it has been treated unwell.

Beyond the air suspension, the only reason to get an Ultra Luxury is for the rear seat accommodations. RADAR cruise control is also available on Custom Luxury trim if I recall, but do not feature air suspension or rear seat controls.

Up to you to decide if it's worth it or not.
Old 07-15-18, 03:52 AM
Wyseguy
Driver School Candidate

I already replaced the mag ride on my Audi so I doubt it's more expensive than that. Smh.

I also think the power closing doors are really convenient as well as the "keyless" start. Are those available on the Custom Luxury trim? If so how can I tell? How can I tell if it's CL?
Old 07-15-18, 04:04 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Like many questions, you'll find 2 camps on the desirability of the Ultra Luxury trim. On the plus side, it offers many features plus a certain wow factor. The negative aspects are that many of the those features are of little use real and (this is the big one) you have to worry about large potential repair costs if//when something goes wrong with the air suspension.

When I was in the market late last year my approach was to find the best lower mileage car for the money, irrespective of trim level or color. These are, after all, now old vehicles. I came fairly close to buying an Ultra twice and actually had a contract on one. However, it was voided due to seller misrepresentation.

Without knowing exactly where you are located in Virginia, it might be worthwhile to expand your search area a bit as there are a great many LS 430s available in the Northeast Corridor. There especially seem to be some good ones right around DC. Be patient. Regardless of what you ended up buying, it is sure to be more reliable than your Audi! Good luck in your search.
Old 07-15-18, 04:05 AM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Keyless start is available on all trims, even base models from 2004-2006 I think.

Unfortunately for LS 430 searching, there's really no easy way to tell what trim it is from the outside. Best way is to look at the dashboard right in front of the gear selector and below the radio/screen. Boils down to more buttons = higher trim level. I've never seen what a custom luxury interior looks like, I think those are more rare than Ultra Luxury. At least it seems like they are.

Oh also, it was Laser cruise control on the Custom Luxury, not RADAR. I'm not remembering things right.

I suggest looking through the brochures to see everything available. I can't look at it now since my phone doesn't like flash.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/353879-ls430-print-brochure-archive.html
Old 07-15-18, 04:08 AM
TriC
Racer

Originally Posted by Wyseguy
I already replaced the mag ride on my Audi so I doubt it's more expensive than that. Smh.

I also think the power closing doors are really convenient as well as the "keyless" start. Are those available on the Custom Luxury trim? If so how can I tell? How can I tell if it's CL?
Custom Luxury models are easily recognized by headlight washers, stitched door panel and glove box trim, and the lack of extra buttons on the center console. There are other differences, but once you study various ads, you will be able to tell at a glance.
Old 07-15-18, 04:17 AM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TriC
Custom Luxury models are easily recognized by headlight washers, stitched door panel and glove box trim, and the lack of extra buttons on the center console. There are other differences, but once you study various ads, you will be able to tell at a glance.
"Easy" in my mind would be something like a sticker on the trunk that says "S" or "LTD", or even different wheels styles per trim level. But Lexus buyers don't like that.

Problem I have a lot when looking at online listings is that they aren't high-resolution enough to see the nitty gritty things like stitching or the thickness of the cruise-control ****. Heck I've seen lots of LS 430's with bumpers that seem to have tall-tale signs of laser cruise control, but have no capability to do so because it turns out to be a Modern Luxury trim.

Headlight washers is probably the easiest from afar. Sure-fire ways are that + buttons on dash.
Old 07-15-18, 06:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Have you test driven a LS430? Since you are used to an Audi (which model?), it may be a good idea. The handling will be completely different. Personally I prefer German handling, but we have to compromise in that LS430's often have no issues even as old as they are.

My uncle has two Audi A6's that he got for free because the owners were so frustrated with the repairs (he used to run a car shop at a very busy intersection and they both limped in). He loves his A6's and is not bothered with any repairs since he has access to lifts. One is FWD, the other Quattro. The Quattro needed a water pump for the 2nd time in 3 yrs. so the owner just gave him the car. This was like 6 yrs. ago and it's a DD! In my life I have gotten a free car 1X, a 1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport, when it was 22 y.o. and uninspectable. Wish I could get a free Audi!
Old 07-15-18, 10:42 AM
Wyseguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response guys!
I figured the Ultra was like that.
I have an 08 TT Quattro with the VR6 motor and DSG trans.
I'm 6'4" and barely fit in it (yet don't fit in any other Audi) and was looking for something more spacious while maintaining some luxury. I like land yatchs lol.
Old 07-15-18, 11:09 AM
Wyseguy
Driver School Candidate

I will add that I'm also looking at Lincoln Town Cars as well.
Old 07-15-18, 01:04 PM
TriC
Racer

I'm 6'4" and barely fit in it (yet don't fit in any other Audi) and was looking for something more spacious while maintaining some luxury. I like land yatchs lol.
I'm also 6'4" and have found the LS 430 to be both roomy and comfortable. The tall greenhouse is very airy with space to wear a top hat. That the driver seat cushion can be extended is a marvelous feature. There is no comparison with a Lincoln Town Car except that the Lincoln is, for good reason, markedly less expensive.
Old 07-15-18, 01:23 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for the response guys!
I figured the Ultra was like that.
I have an 08 TT Quattro with the VR6 motor and DSG trans.
I'm 6'3". One of the reasons I own an LS is all the interior space. Just did a 100 mi round trip drive. Totally comfortable. My wife's 330 feels like a shoebox.
Old 07-15-18, 03:46 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Lincoln Town Car? I suppose that's a rather reliable vehicle but the ride is not remotely comparable to the LS430. Any LS430. Anywhere.

I own a UL and the concerns about the air suspension are way overdone. To begin with, the air shocks don't break any more often than regular shocks. If you insist on buying new OEM to replace then yes they are 1000 $ a pop. But no need for that, plenty of used shocks are available in fine condition for 100 to 200 a piece. Easy DIY job to replace too.
The Radar Cruise is great too because you can realistically use a cruise control in denser traffic than you could with a regular cruise, I've come to quite like it.
Old 07-15-18, 05:15 PM
Wyseguy
Driver School Candidate

Wow they're roomy like that?
I haven't driven one yet but I imagine it's smooth.

That seat extension feature is something I've never anything like that before. First thing I thought of was how much better us tall guys would fit.

I figured the quality would be comparable between the LS and Town Car too
Old 07-15-18, 06:24 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I figured the quality would be comparable between the LS and Town Car too
I dunno anything about Town Car, but I am willing to bet money for the same price range, the quality and reliability is not comparable to LS430.

Quick Reply: Need guidance - Ultra Luxury?