LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

power door closers are on custom luxury as well
Old 07-15-18, 07:55 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Having owned 2 LS430s and driven many more, as well as Towncars, they really aren’t comparable. The features and attention to detail in the LS are leagues above the Towncar, and of course the LS’s ride is far superior. It’s soft and plush without really feeling like an unwieldy boat like the Towncar. Test drive an LS and a Towncar... you’ll see.
Old 07-15-18, 07:57 PM
Wyseguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What about parts availability?
Would this chassis run out of parts any time soon?
Old 07-16-18, 05:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyseguy
What about parts availability?
Would this chassis run out of parts any time soon?
I highly doubt it...and the beauty is you can get OE parts on eBay for a fraction of list. My understanding is that these are legit distributors, who when they can source from Japan and not USA, the savings is severe. Those LCA bushings are a perfect example, sometimes $100/pair (dang I was $65 ea, much higher) when list is $242.10/pair (reminds me that there are those out there who can get brand new snap on tools 65% off list which is why you can score nicely on eBay sometimes).

Also as mentioned 3 yrs. ago I toured a Saab warehouse full of parts that nobody ever wants (the GM told me nothing ever leaves this place but we have to keep the parts). I would not worry about parts.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (07-18-18)
Old 07-17-18, 02:55 PM
Wyseguy
Driver School Candidate

Hmm
Every thing sounds promising then.

...as long as I can fit comfortably lol
Old 07-17-18, 02:56 PM
Wyseguy
Driver School Candidate

Also, I really appreciate everyones input. This forum has a really good vibe to it .Y'all seem super chill and informative!
Old 07-19-18, 11:28 PM
Nyaa
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I specifically wanted a UL. I wanted the driver comforts such as air ride and adaptive cruise but I also was really into the idea of the passenger luxuries. Maybe I'm being a bit of a showoff but I do like to make people say wow. I enjoy the reaction of people sitting down in the back as they discover the message function while they recline the seats. It's just something I get a kick out of. Some might think it is stupid of me to get a UL for that reason but that's just how I am lol.

But seriously, I do actually sit in the back sometimes. When I have to wait for someone, I'll sometimes just hop in the back and chill out while watching YouTube or whatever.

I personally find the risk of an expensive repair with the air ride to be worth it. Many do not and I totally understand that. It's just something you'll have to decide yourself.

I'm wondering, has anyone here had the pleasure of riding in both a standard suspension and air ride 430? How appreciable do you feel the difference in ride comfort and handling is between the two?

Originally Posted by toddmorr
The Radar Cruise is great too because you can realistically use a cruise control in denser traffic than you could with a regular cruise, I've come to quite like it.
I agree. I can't stress enough how amazing adaptive cruise control is and having it be radar based makes it even better since you don't have to worry so much about weather conditions throwing it off.

This is the first car I have owned with adaptive cruise and to be perfectly frank, it has totally spoiled me. I would seriously have trouble going back to a normal cruise system. In fact, I have a few cars in mind that I would like to buy down the road as fun weekend cars and the idea of having old cruise really turns me off. One of the cars I'm leaning toward buying is an SL55 AMG. The idea that I can look at such an amazing and fun car but then think, "ugh, it has old fashioned cruise..." is testament to how much I've come to love adaptive cruise lol.

Basically, once you go adaptive, it's hard to go back.
Old 07-20-18, 06:59 AM
aufenscuht
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Owned three generations of LTC, and by FAR the LS is better in every way.
Old 07-20-18, 07:48 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobius1
While a Ultra Luxury LS 430 might be more reliable than certain Audi's, there are still items to worry about that might go bad. Particularly the air-suspension if it has been treated unwell.

Beyond the air suspension, the only reason to get an Ultra Luxury is for the rear seat accommodations. RADAR cruise control is also available on Custom Luxury trim if I recall, but do not feature air suspension or rear seat controls.

Up to you to decide if it's worth it or not.
Is that seat contouring seat with massage? I went Audi at the end of factory warranty to Mercedes. So far so good. With all options but designo.
Old 07-20-18, 11:53 AM
Wizard650
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to own a 2009 Town Car. While I enjoyed it tremendously and the ride and interior spaciousness were quite nice, I must echo what others have said in that there is no comparison regarding fit and finish, ride, or power delivery. As a model that got by with incremental changes over its years in production, however, it was eminently reliable. It's worth noting that Town Car's were equipped with air suspension only in the rear, which from my time on the Lincoln forums seemed prone to premature failure, though it never happened to mine. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Town Car, but the 4.6 was pretty breathless for its displacement and the weight of the vehicle while the touch points, though in line with its (very reasonable) price point, left something to be desired when compared to most "competitors". I will say that navigating down the road with that Lincoln star on the hood leading the way was pretty satisfying.

I now own a UL.
Old 07-20-18, 11:57 AM
ibrahim83
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

In all honesty, the only model I'd love to have is a custom luxury model. I don't care about the rear seat as it's strictly for my dogs or my kids child seats.
Old 07-20-18, 06:14 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

When I bought mine 9 years ago, I considered UL but went for CL and have been very happy with it. I have been on this board for all these years now and there have been enough problems reported with air suspension that I wouldn't recommend one unless it has already been converted to coil overs. Rear seat goodies are also not that relevant in today's world. I rarely rode in the back seat and once riding in backseat became a real option, I bought a long wheelbase LS460.
Old 07-21-18, 04:53 PM
Wyseguy
Driver School Candidate

So to my suprise I found this guy locally (an 01 UL)
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d...649475065.html

And then saw this guy who's a standard LS
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d...648623947.html

Before the facelift in 04 though...
Old 07-21-18, 05:31 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyseguy
So to my suprise I found this guy locally (an 01 UL)
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d...649475065.html

And then saw this guy who's a standard LS
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d...648623947.html

Before the facelift in 04 though...
Both are priced about right but...

I would be very leery of the '01 and its air suspension unless it has been converted or replaced. While the '03 might well be a good car, I rely heavily on a used car coming from a good home - here, apparently an apartment complex which is a bit of a red flag.
Old 07-21-18, 08:23 PM
Wyseguy
Driver School Candidate

Wow...I never even thought about apartment living affecting vehicles......good point! Ha

Quick Reply: Need guidance - Ultra Luxury?