LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Center console lights sometimes go out

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-19, 11:28 AM
Lac
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you let us know where you purchased the software?
Thank you.
Old 09-27-19, 11:43 AM
Lac
Driver

Originally Posted by jls667
I have a 2004 LS430. The center console lights sometimes go out. All the functions seem to work, but the buttons are hard to see at night when the lights go out. The lights include the map, radio and climate buttons. There must be a flaky wire. Does anyone have the electrical wiring diagram that would include the offending wire? Thank you.

John
Did anyone find the solution for this issue?

Thank you.
Old 09-27-19, 11:48 AM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lac
Did anyone find the solution for this issue?

Thank you.
You can use your left foot to kick the fuse box on the driver side that works 90% the other trick is turn the turn signals on that works 10% of the time but the issue is coming from the fuse junction box
Old 09-27-19, 11:53 AM
Lac
Driver

Yes, you are correct about fuse junction box since I also had to kick it once in awhile but works only 50% of time.
Did you find a permanent solution?

Thanks so much.
Old 09-27-19, 04:49 PM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lac
Yes, you are correct about fuse junction box since I also had to kick it once in awhile but works only 50% of time.
Did you find a permanent solution?

Thanks so much.
I haven’t tried to fix it yet but I suspect something is corroded maybe it’s the fuse for the light that is not making a good connection or maybe the socket for that fuse is corroded because most of our cars have this issue and those that don’t they will soon
Old 10-22-19, 02:52 AM
jls667
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This kicking solution seems to always work. I still would like to fix the problem.
Old 10-31-19, 07:24 PM
jls667
Pit Crew

I think that I fixed the day/night display. All I did was remove and reinsert each fuse. It may have taken 5 minutes.
Old 11-01-19, 07:53 AM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

guys....kicking the fuse box!?!? this isn't some old damn tractor XD Y'all are killin' me XD
Old 11-05-19, 07:47 PM
jls667
Pit Crew

I’m not kicking the fuse box anymore.
Old 05-10-21, 05:49 PM
Smoorh1
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=jls667;10209241]I have a 2004 LS430. The center console lights sometimes go out. All the functions seem to work, but the buttons are hard to see at night when the lights go out. The lights include the map, radio and climate buttons. There must be a flaky wire. Does anyone have the electrical wiring diagram that would include the offending wire? Thank you.

John[/QUOTE I have seen somewhere where is saying that I have a light out somewhere in the car and that is why my cluster isn't working
Has anyone ever heard of this
I do have a warning light on saying that I have a tail light out but all my lights seem to be working but I am going to have all my bulbs pulled on tomorrow to make sure I have in the right bulbs
So if you are having this problem I will suggest that you look around your car to make sure all your headlights and tail lights are working
Old 05-11-21, 08:26 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 241 Likes on 196 Posts

Lexus used an environmentally friendly low-lead solder on the LS430.
It's known to cause occasional issues with the instruments, with ECUs, and may even be at the root of the problems with the ML Amp and the Nav module.
It could be that the fuse box just needs removing and all the solder reflowing with a bit of fresh solder adding so it makes good contact.
The following users liked this post:
CA2WALS430 (05-11-21)
Old 05-30-21, 12:44 AM
sendit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
Lexus used an environmentally friendly low-lead solder on the LS430.
It's known to cause occasional issues with the instruments, with ECUs, and may even be at the root of the problems with the ML Amp and the Nav module.
It could be that the fuse box just needs removing and all the solder reflowing with a bit of fresh solder adding so it makes good contact.
I'm not sure if this is the issue. If it was a solder issue I think the center console lighting would flicker but for me it works fine (with a kick of the driver's side junction box) until the next time the headlights are turned back on (thus needing another kick). I'm suspecting more of a tired relay that needs some encouragement to switch. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of whatever is leading up to the 7.5A PANEL junction on the drivers side junction box? I measured the current across the PANEL terminals and confirmed that there is no power across them when the issue is present.

Last edited by sendit; 05-31-21 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-31-21, 12:26 AM
sendit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found a wiring diagram - looks like the PANEL junction is powered from the engine fuse box at connector DA on the firewall side of the driver's junction block. Unfortunately the other side of PANEL ends up directly at the junction block ECU so I'm guessing there's a problem at the ECU side. Not sure I can troubleshoot any further as I don't think there is anything published about the ECU.

The following users liked this post:
Bsavage (06-02-21)
Old 08-04-22, 09:14 AM
dosik2
9th Gear

I had the same problem as above.

For example, kicking the driver side junction block (DSJB) cures the problem temperarily and then the same issue persist next time. However, I think my problem is solved at least for now.

What I did was to remove the connectors from the DSJB and applied some contact enhancer (I used DeOxit Gold Spray).

There are six connectors that are visible without actually removing the DSJB itself. Among the six connectors, I GUESS it is the 22 pin connector (this is one of four or five DSJB ECU which resides inside the DSJB) that is relevant to the above mentioned issue. However, I removed all five connectors (excepted for the one covered with yellow cover) and sprayed the contact enhancer.

For the first several days after I sprayed, the problem was not perfectly resovolved since the enhancer needed time to work well. However, now, after several weeks, the button lights turn on whenever they should. I hope my experience will help others too.
Old 08-08-22, 10:18 AM
jls667
Pit Crew

I solved this problem by replacing the driver’s side junction box. It looks really hard, but it is not too bad for someone comfortable with diy stuff. I got the replacement on ebay used.

Quick Reply: Center console lights sometimes go out